Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit union person calling to house?

Options
  • 25-09-2014 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

I just had someone knock on the door looking for Mr X. Mr X is the owner of the house that my bf is renting from him for almost a year now. When I opened the front door the man immediately said that he knew he was at the wrong house as he was looking for some one by the surname X(which is a foreign name) so he knew it wasn't me. I said Mr X was the owner of the house. He said he was from the credit union and flashed a laminated card id which I didn't get a chance to read his name. I said that he moved away last year and my bf had been renting from him. He just said ok and said goodbye. He never asked for a contact number or address so I don't know what to think. I don't know whether this is some kind of scam or what.

Anyway sorry for the rambling but what I want to know is, is it normal for someone from the credit union to call to a house looking for a person?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

wouldnt think so

but,

if someone owed the CU money, and defaulted, they may hire a cash collection agency to collect on thier behalf. these people would have ID and may tell you they are from the CU, but in reality terms, they are from another company acting on behalf of the CU... it's just easier to say they are from the CU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Seve OB wrote: »
    wouldnt think so

but,

if someone owed the CU money, and defaulted, they may hire a cash collection agency to collect on thier behalf. these people would have ID and may tell you they are from the CU, but in reality terms, they are from another company acting on behalf of the CU... it's just easier to say they are from the CU.

Thanks that's what I assumed to be honest. He was very well dressed and pleasant to me so I had no problems. It's just I was a bit worried it was a scam. I'll have my bf contact the landlord this evening to let him know what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Depends on the credit union I think. Some are far less personal than others. 6 yrs ago now I cashed a cheque at my credit union which then bounced whilst I was on holiday. The day after I got back I had 2 old men from credit union saying it was illegal to bounce cheque and if I didn't repay it by the end of the week they'd go to gards. Annoying thing was the cheque was for e200 my shares were in thousands and i had no loan so it was easily covered. Not liking their attitude I moved credit unions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭James esq

This is all normal in credit union land, volunteers calling to houses or sending folks around, following up on irregularities, happens in all 500 credit unions around the country, no biggie just protecting community money. If someone bounced a cheque on you or went off without paying, you would probably call on the guy.

Advertisement