Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accused of gas meter tampering!

Options
  • 25-09-2014 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,
    I got home today to find a letter from Bord Gais saying I have "Unlawfully interfered with a gas meter". I called them two weeks ago to let them know there was an error appearing on my meter, I noticed it when I was topping it up, and that I owed 19 Euro. So I was in debt on the meter by 19 euro yet I was still getting gas in my home. I turned off my heating which is the only thing in my home that runs on gas and I called Bord Gais to tell them, they said it sounds like the meter wasn't working correctly. That evening a technician came out and took the meter and put in a new one.

Now this letter says I have to pay 250 Euro!!!! To replace the damaged meter that it had been tampered with. I rang them to tell them the meter wasn't working properly and now I'm being told I have to pay this ridiculous fee. I called them and I was told by the guy who answered the phone that he wasn't able to deal with my call that he would have to get someone to call me back. This is a joke I try and talk to someone about this and I'm told I have to sit here and wait for a call when they are ready to talk! A technician called out maybe only 2 months ago and checked the readings on my meter and he said everything was perfect!" Now I'm being accused of tampering with the meter! So which is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

KS1990 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I got home today to find a letter from Bord Gais saying I have "Unlawfully interfered with a gas meter". I called them two weeks ago to let them know there was an error appearing on my meter, I noticed it when I was topping it up, and that I owed 19 Euro. So I was in debt on the meter by 19 euro yet I was still getting gas in my home. I turned off my heating which is the only thing in my home that runs on gas and I called Bord Gais to tell them, they said it sounds like the meter wasn't working correctly. That evening a technician came out and took the meter and put in a new one.

Now this letter says I have to pay 250 Euro!!!! To replace the damaged meter that it had been tampered with. I rang them to tell them the meter wasn't working properly and now I'm being told I have to pay this ridiculous fee. I called them and I was told by the guy who answered the phone that he wasn't able to deal with my call that he would have to get someone to call me back. This is a joke I try and talk to someone about this and I'm told I have to sit here and wait for a call when they are ready to talk! A technician called out maybe only 2 months ago and checked the readings on my meter and he said everything was perfect!" Now I'm being accused of tampering with the meter! So which is it?

I would imagine they are accusing you of tampering the meter that was removed two months ago, and not the one you have now.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

There isn't really any advice we can give you here in relation to this but it seems you must persist in speaking with them over the phone to see can you resolve this. It will take a lot of grit because you will be fobbed off and the buck will be passed all over the place.

Failing that, there are two options:
    1. Pay the fine;
    2. Engage a solicitor to defend you in court.

Neither of the above is cheap and it's a real catch 22 situation from a practical point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KS1990

I would imagine they are accusing you of tampering the meter that was removed two months ago, and not the one you have now.

Sorry I didn't explain it clearly I only have a new meter about two weeks now. The old meter was the one that the technician checked months ago and he said everything was fine. But now I'm being told it was tampered with.

There isn't really any advice we can give you here in relation to this but it seems you must persist in speaking with them over the phone to see can you resolve this. It will take a lot of grit because you will be fobbed off and the buck will be passed all over the place.

Failing that, there are two options:
    1. Pay the fine;
    2. Engage a solicitor to defend you in court.

Neither of the above is cheap and it's a real catch 22 situation from a practical point of view.

I had to ring again and finally someone rang me back. Its basically what you said. I was told that I can pay the fine or I can go to court. She said that they are not specifically pointing the finger at me or my girlfriend who I live with (Its also her name on the gas bill) but as long as the fine is paid and a Cert of Conformance is sent within 28 days the issue is resolved. However if we go to court they have the old meter as evidence of tampering. The basic jist of the conversation was that she wasn't accusing us in any way at all but they don't care as long as they get payment for it whether its by the fine or through court. I'm absolutely furious its a lose/lose no matter what way I go about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Did they say what kind of tampering it was?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

If you have a family solicitor or a friend in the legal profession, you should speak to them.

I can understand why this would be incredibly frustrating but the above is the best we can do within the confines of the forum charter.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Do you think someone may have tampered with the meter? Does anyone else have access to the meter?

Did they say what kind of tampering it was?

No, I never even thought to ask. I was just so angry when I was talking on the phone about paying the fine I never thought to ask them. The letter just says Unlawful Interference with Meter "When the meter was examined, evidence of unlawful interference was indicated." The thing that annoys me the most is that I reported the issue to them.

MarkR wrote: »
    Do you think someone may have tampered with the meter? Does anyone else have access to the meter?

I doubt anyone did. My meter is out at the front of my house, the box doesn't have a lock. Its just a triangle key lock on the box which is easily opened.

I'm afraid there is nothing further that we can add in these circumstances since this is a criminal matter and the options available to you, though limited, have been explained.

The only other direction I can point you in is to google "energy meter interference ireland" and "energy act 2012".

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement