Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying in Bullock Habour, 2015

Options
  • 25-09-2014 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I will be vacationing (4 of us) next year Aug 15/2015, and will be staying at an apartment (Pilot View) over looking Bullock Harbour.
    I will be golfing halve the time but would love to get some fishing in as well.
    I will not have any fishing equipment with me.

Would anyone recommend a charter for hire ?

Also any other recommendation for my stay would be great.
    - local pubs to visit
    - golf course that's not well know but is a must play
    - etc

We are looking to experience a non-traditional vacation. Any places off the beating path or local traditions ?

Regards,
    Jeff
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Staying in Bullock you can rent boats by the hour (small boats with outbord engine) and you can also rent fishing tackle also. Basic fishing, mostly would be using lures for cod pollack etc. You can also see purpoises swimming there from time to time when out on the boat which is pretty cool.

You wont be too far from Dun Laoghaire so that would be well worth a visit to go into town and visit the local eateries and drinkeries! You could also jump on the DART and head out towards somewhere like Bray or Dalkey, again, nice tows to visit.

Im sure others could give you more detailed local info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Bullock harbour is a ten minute walk from either Glasthule or Dalkey, both of which have good restaurants. Dalkey Has most types of food, from fish and chips to Chinese, Italian and Indian.

If you're looking for top class golf, the Dublin east coast golf alliance does a pass for nine courses. It isn't cheap, but includes the likes of the K Club, Carton House, Druids Glenn and Powerscourt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

jefflad wrote: »
    I will be vacationing (4 of us) next year Aug 15/2015, and will be staying at an apartment (Pilot View) over looking Bullock Harbour.
    I will be golfing halve the time but would love to get some fishing in as well.
    I will not have any fishing equipment with me.

Would anyone recommend a charter for hire ?

Also any other recommendation for my stay would be great.
    - local pubs to visit
    - golf course that's not well know but is a must play
    - etc

We are looking to experience a non-traditional vacation. Any places off the beating path or local traditions ?

Regards,
    Jeff

You could try.

1. Swimming in the sea. Short walk to Sandycove/40ft with nice swimming areas. You can also swim in Killiney (beach or White rock) Sea is nice in August.
    2. Walk the piers in Dun Laoghaire. Try the West Pier. its far less walked than the more popular East Pier.
    3. Visit the farmers market in the Peoples Park in Dun Laoghaire on a Sunday.
    4. Walk around Killiney Hill and Dalkey quarry.
    5. Check out DLR Summer of Heritage events where lots of tours and visits are organised to local spots of interest.
    6. Walk on the beach at Seapoint/Blackrock on a fine evening when the tide is out. Bring binoculars.
    7. Take a trip to Bray on the DART. Sit on the left side of the carriage and admire the view over Killiney Bay as you exit the tunnel from Dalkey. Climb Bray Head when you get to Bray if you have the energy.
    8. Do the cliff walk from Bray to Greystones. Get the train back.
    9. Travel into Dublin City using the DART. Dalkey Station is probably the nearest to you.
    10. Assuming you have a car explore Powerscourt, Enniskerry, Glendalough, Avondale. All an easy drive for you.
    11. Take the pleasure cruiser from East Pier Dun Laoghaire to Howth. Do some sightseeing and get the train back.
    12. Have breakfast some morning in Avoca or Cafe de Journal in Monkstown. DART or walk to Blackrock afterwards.
    13. Get the 75 bus from Dun Laoghaire to Dundrum shopping centre if shopping is your thing.
    14. If eating out regularly best value in pubs and restaurants is usually to be had at lunchtiime. Evenings can be more expensive.

on the fishing.

There are numerous spots where you can spin for mackerel and pollock from the shore in the area. If you wanted to buy a cheap rod and reel or bring a telescopic one you can fish off the rocks at the back of Pilot View or along the back of the piers in Dun Laoghaire.

happy holidays,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,842 ✭✭✭✭josip

jefflad wrote: »
    ...We are looking to experience a non-traditional vacation. Any places off the beating path or local traditions ?

Regards,
    Jeff
    1. Take a stroll from the People's Park in Dun Laoghaire all the way along George's Street to Monkstown.
    2. Get a unique view of Dun Laoghaire Harbour from the new library.
    3. Watch the HSS turn in the harbour once a day around noon.
    4. Watch traffic at Killiney Towers, the most redesigned "roundabout" in Dublin.
    5. Bring your dog for a poo walk on any footpath.
    6. Visit any foreign owned shop in Dalkey.
    7. Visit any pub in Dun Laoghaire not on the sea front.
    8. Swim naked at Vico.
    9. Fish all night long off Killiney beach with a Staffie and a slab of beer.
    10. Get a 99 at Teddys.
    11. Park on any street in Dun Laoghaire and either complain about the cost or the alertness of the wardens.
    12. Get your hair cut at the Algerian barber on Patrick St.
    13. Write something in Spanish in the lane beside Bono's house.
    14. Savour the atmosphere in Cherrywood on Saturday morning.
    15. Find a nearby boy's secondary school.

Advertisement