Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Half) Iron Maiden

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Swimming in a different length pool is a real pain in the ass...mine is 33m so at least I can do sets of multiples of 100m or thereabouts. 30m is an awful length.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's pretty common here - the three pools I swim in regularly (Kentish Town, Ironmonger Row, Marshall Street) are all renovated Victorian baths so very much predating the use of the metric system in the UK, and are all the same length (3 lengths is approximately 100 yards) - a little bit frustrating but the pools themselves are lovely. Probably easiest to convert the reps to yards and work from there, maybe adding one more 100 for luck at the end of a session!

This online calculator seems pretty useful for doing the necessary conversions - Kurt's 3*100 off 2:40 becomes 3*100 yards off 2:26 etc...

Tuesday PM - short run, 25 minutes ish. Just over 4km covered. Legs feeling pretty good overall, just a short one tonight because I had a sneaky interval while the dinner was on. Twas grand :)

Wednesday - treadmill run and strength. Warmed up a bit with 2km on the treadmill, then did 3 * (8 5kg medicine ball twists, 15 jumping lunges, 10 pressups, 10 one-legged squats each side, 10 hamstring curls using swiss ball, 10 bodyweight squats, 50 sec front plank, 50 sec right side plank, 50 sec left side plank). Followed up that barrel of laughs with another 3km on the treadmill and then foam rolled and stretched. Necessary evil really, I hate planks :pac:

Swim in the morning, then rest day Friday because I'm coming back to Dublin for the weekend :D

Thursday AM - pre work swim. Forgot to bring the bit of paper in a freezer bag where I'd written down the session, and ended up doing a mangled hybrid of the week 1 and 2 technique sessions. 240 swim, 240 kick, 240 pull, 240 fingertip drill, 240 breathe on 3/breathe on 5 alternating (this sucked arse tbh, such a break of rhythm), 300 swim. 1,500m total. Body wasn't too happy before the swim with a bit of DOMS from the strength work yesterday, feels a little better now but methinks this evening shall be spent relaxing.

• Advertisement

Friday - rest day, was flying to Dublin after work. Home to see my adorable little niece for the first time and to do a bit of wedding and Christmas shopping with my mum. :)

Saturday - total of 12.4km run. Run down to Tymon Park, do the Parkrun, run back afterwards. 25:40 for the Parkrun, my fastest 5km of 2014 so far. Couple of quite quagmire-y sections around 4km in and my newish runners are now significantly muckier than they were before, but feck it. Very happy with the time, I've been pretty slow for most of this year so it's nice to know that I am actually improving a little.

Sunday - 6.1km easy run, 6.05/km average pace. Just around Firhouse and Knocklyon, same loop I ran hundreds of times when I was still living at home. Legs a little heavy from their efforts the day before but still felt pretty good, and despite the cold it was an absolutely lovely day to be out running.

Monday - short swim. Absolutely wrecked today after a very quick weekend back home! Kept it really simple and quite short, 240 swim, 240 kick, 240 swim, 240 pull, 240 swim for 1,200m. Just not feeling the love for doing much today, but it felt good to let the body kinda relax itself in the water after running twice over the weekend.

Tuesday - 45 minute spin class. Very similar to last week's one, lots of sprints. May have caused some serious breakfasting after I got into work though...

Now to cross everything and hope for Rugby World Cup tickets!

Tuesday PM - 6.1km run, 6.02/km average pace - first half accompanied by himself, second half was solo. Feeling surprisingly good while running at the moment, long may it continue! He's finally up to being able to do about 20 minutes at this stage, which means I have a bit more company during the week :)

Today is pretty much an enforced rest day - I slept it in this morning when I meant to get up to swim before work, and we're going to the Emirates later for the Arsenal v Dortmund game.

Thursday - run to work, 5.8km, 5:59/km average pace. Legs feeling good after a day where the only time they moved was to walk to the Emirates and climb up to a seat 5 rows from the back! Tube has been an absolute cluster**** in the mornings lately so it was rather nice to choose an alternative this morning...

• Advertisement

Friday - coached swim session, main set was 3 * (5 * 60 descending), then tumble turn practice for the rest of the session. I have no idea how I managed to do this but I whacked my arse off the bottom of the shallow end at one stage...

Saturday - rest day, went to Newbury races with himself instead and when I was falling asleep in the car on the way back I knew there would be no training happening!

Sunday - 17.3km run, 6:15/km average pace. This was lovely, even with the big hills in the first 5km! Haven't gotten a solid long run (>12.5km-ish) in since the Great North Run, and need to get back to it if I'm going to run a decent half in March.

Monday - 5.8km run, 6:20/km average pace. Ran to work this morning because the Northern Line drivers are striking to protect a colleague who was accused of drinking on the job... feck sake like. Anyway, was feeling the after-effects of yesterday a bit but it wasn't too bad. Just took it nice and easy, and let the relatively consistent downhill drag me in.

Busy week coming up now, Arsenal again on Wednesday, Korpiklaani and Tyr on Thursday, Quins-Leinster on Sunday... I sense a lot of morning training ahead!

Monday PM - 1,440m swim. Was doing Week 3 day 2 from Kurt's sessions. Was more than a little bit gassed by the time I got to the third set of 3*100 (yards, goddamn old/renovated English pools), and decided to just abandon the fourth one and swim down. Did manage to do the last one for the 100m time trial though, got 1:47 for 100 yards and used the conversion calculator here to convert that back to a 25m pool 100m time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

What half are you doing in March? And pretty nifty little swim conversion calculator there! :)

I'm doing Reading half-marathon on the 22nd of March. Hoping for under 2 hours anyway, preferably closer to 1:55.

Tuesday AM - 45 min spin class. Another new instructor, I'm always a little suspicious of them! Class was OK - a few too many of the gimmicks I don't like though.

Wed/Thurs - off, had a bit of a cold and felt like general crap. That said, going to the Emirates for the Southampton game and to Korpiklaani and Tyr at the O2 Academy Islington doesn't exactly help one's recovery!

Fri - 1,620m swim - 180 swim, kick, pull, 5 * (2 * 90m/100 yards off 2:30), 180 swim. Didn't want to push myself much but wanted to get moving again, so something with relatively long rests between intervals seemed to fit the bill. This was quite pleasant tbh. The 90m reps were mostly in around 1:55, so the rest between them was possibly a little excessive, but it happened to fit the speed of the rest of the lane too so feck it.

Sat - 8km run @ 6:35/km average pace. Up to Hampstead Heath on a gloriously sunny but cold as fcuk winter's day, took it easy on the big hills and stopped to take a few pictures of the pretty views along the way. Enjoyed this, apart from the lack of sausage sambos at the farmer's market right at the end of my run! Also finally got the gear issue with my bike sorted out, thankfully.

Sunday - rest day - was at the Leinster game this afternoon and decided that an excessively long sleep (10 hours, AW YEAH :D ) was preferable this morning to dragging my fat ass out for a run.

We finally bit the bullet this evening and ordered a turbo trainer for the apartment after himself was giving out about losing bike fitness after the summer. Our neighbours are going to hate us :pac:

Monday - 6.5km run @ 5:50/km average pace. Did the first half of this with himself and the rest solo. Felt pretty good, even if I was regretting my decision not to wear gloves for it for about the first 20 minutes, it was freezing!

Realised last night that I forgot to sign up to spin class for today, and it was so bloody cold when I woke up that I don't think I would have made it out of the bed for it anyway. Will probably run again later today.

Tuesday - 6km run @ 6:11/km average pace. Ended up having to squeeze this in between cooking a huge multi-day dinner and watching Liverpool get dumped out of the Champions League ( :D ) - almost didn't bother when I heard the wind howling, but glad I got it in.

Turbo trainer should be arriving tomorrow, fun times ahead :pac:

Wednesday - strength/core session, 8 minutes on the rower to warm up followed by 3 * (8 * twists with 5kg medicine ball, 15 jumping lunges, 10 hamstring curls on swiss ball, 10 jack-knifes on swiss ball, 10 push-ups, 10 one legged squats each side, 60 sec front plank, 60 sec right side plank, 60 sec left side plank). Foam rolling and stretching afterwards. Decent session - increased plank duration and there were a few curse words uttered though!

Got on the scales today and I'm down to 67kg too, 3kg left to my wedding goal weight but there is the Christmas hurdle to get over first...

Thursday - 40 minute morning turbo. It arrived yesterday, we got it set up relatively quickly, and I was the guinea pig this morning :pac: It was fine anyway, just span the legs out after doing strength yesterday.

I've been horribly bad at getting any swimming in this week, will go tomorrow...

Friday - 1 hr coached swim - 20 minutes of technique/drills, 20 minutes of fitness work, 20 minutes of tumble turn practice. Great to be in the water, really suited what I was in the mood for after a busy day in work.

Saturday - brick-ish session - 40 minutes on the turbo followed by a 25 minute run. Probably should have stayed on the turbo for longer, but the noise was not good for my hungover OH's head so wisely left for a run after 40 minutes!

Sunday - rest day/letting the booze drain out from my Christmas party on Saturday night. Watched a quite ridiculous amount of sport too :)

• Advertisement

Monday - time to hit the pool. Did this week's day 2 workout because the pool was relatively busy and I didn't really want to have to think about times or be slowing others down too much with drills. Modifying it for a 30 metre pool... 180 swim, 8 * 30 kick, 120 pb - 240 swim - 360 pb - 480 swim - 360 pb - 240 swim - 120 pb + 60 pb for a total of 2,100m. Stuck with the pull buoy for a short cooldown because my calves cramped hard on the last length of the second 240 swim and I didn't fancy more kicking! Good session overall :)

Tuesday AM - 40 minute turbo starting at 7. Easy spinning really, watching all the stuff on Sky Sports News about Henry retiring and saving the legs a bit for a run later. Brain was in distraction mode though, it was like every 5 minutes "oh X thing needs to be done around the house..." - a little bit frustrating!

Tuesday PM - 1 hr ashtanga yoga class. Good stretch-out, even if there was some time devoted to building towards handstand and that pose makes me horribly nervous. Getting closer to being able to get up into full wheel too, which I'm kinda happy about (can comfortably get onto my head in it, and push up an inch or two, but not all the way up yet).

Wednesday - 6km run @ 6:16/km average pace - usual loop with a few big hills at the start and fairly comfortable from there onwards. I'd meant to get up early to swim that morning, but my bed was feeling a little too possessive!

Thursday - 5.8km run to work @ 5:51/km average pace. Was feeling pretty good, so picked up the pace for the last 2km - 5:30/km pace ish for those.

Last coached swim before Christmas tomorrow, might try and sneak in a long run on Saturday morning too, then fly back to Ireland on Sunday. Really looking forward to the Christmas break! Sneaky Goal mile this time next week? :D

Friday - coached swim, mostly technique work.

Saturday - 6km run @ 5:50/km average pace - lovely morning for it, just spent half the fecking morning in bed and didn't leave myself an awful lot of running time!

Sunday - strength session at the gym - similar to previous. Flight to Dublin in the evening, very rough landing in high winds in an 80 seater turboprop!

Monday - rest day, had to head down to Limerick and back in the one day to do wedding paperwork.

Tuesday - 45 minute swim, covered around 2km in mostly 100m and 200m intervals. Did a time trial effort somewhere in the middle and swam 100m in 1:53, for the table in the beginners thread. Pool was incredibly warm and it felt quite tiring...

Wednesday - 10km run in just under an hour (5:59/km average pace). A lovely afternoon for it, cold but sunny and very pleasant running conditions. Enjoyed it, and have been spending the time since then chilling out with my little niece at home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Merry Christmas, rk. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Shout if you guys are around for a catch up over xmas!

Might head to the track for the mile myself...

29th Dec is the most likely date we'd be free - literally plans every other day!

Xmas Day - slept too late for the Tallaght GOAL mile so got out later for a nice easy run. 8km around Firhouse and Knocklyon, 5:51/km average pace and full of the joys of the season!

Merry Christmas to all :)

• Advertisement

Back to London now, got very lazy/drunk while back home :pac:

Saturday - 5.5km run @ 5:50/km average pace. Done in Limerick as an out and back from the hotel. Managed to leave both my sports bras in my suitcase at my mum's house, so had to rig up something using what Penneys have to offer. What I bought managed to rip from the strain of being a 34E slapped onto a 30G bust and held in place with another crop top within one 32 minute run. :eek:

Sunday - wussed out after 200m because there was frost everywhere.

(here be drinking, Leopardstown, our anniversary and countless other reasons not to go run...)

Wednesday - 6km run @ 6:05/km average pace. Running at 8pm on NYE after flying back to London is a little bit surreal tbh!

Thursday - 40 minute turbo while watching the Man U match. Fcuking Stoke :mad:

Advertisement