Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Half) Iron Maiden

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Friday - coached swim session. Loads of technique work this evening, mostly focused on kicking. Mildly relieved at the fact that we were doing drills rather than lots of fitness work because I still feel like I'm sweating the drink out after the holidays.

Saturday - 40 minute turbo with some quality to it - working up through the gears 3 minutes at a time and working back down again, also put the foot down for a bit late on. Drew the short straw for rugby watching while on it, OH did essentially the same workout while watching the Leinster match but I got stuck with Scarlets v Ospreys :pac: This was all after a trip to IKEA, which should count as a workout in its own right with all the furniture wrangling!

Sunday - gym session. Warmup on the rower, 2 * (8 * 5kg medicine ball twists, 16 jumping lunges, 10 one legged squats each side, 10 OHP with 6kg dumbbells, 10 hamstring curls on Swiss ball, 50 sec plank, 50 sec side plank each side), 5km treadmill run in 29:52. Bit of a rude re-awakening in the gym, that reminder that you haven't done a tap strength-wise for 2 weeks :eek: Evaluated the Christmas damage on the scales too at the gym, I'm up around 1kg. It could be a lot worse, but still frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I'm up around 1kg. It could be a lot worse, but still frustrating!

I hear ya! I'm double that :(. But it was fun, and it'll be gone in a few weeks :D

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    But it was fun, and it'll be gone in a few weeks :D

I'm just holding onto that thought! Normal training and keeping an eye on the diet should help though. Plenty of running to come over the next while with Reading half coming up - which always helps with the weight!

Monday - 1,800m swim, 240m swim, kick, pull, 8*90m steady, 360m easy swim. Arms were still complaining a bit after the circuits on Sunday, damn holidays :pac:

Tuesday - 6.8km run @ 5:51/km average pace, started this with himself (who did around 3.5km) and went off by myself then for the second lap of it. Felt like I had loads of energy this evening running, which is all well and good but I failed miserably at getting up this morning to get a turbo in before work. Goddamn broken post-Christmas sleeping pattern.

• Advertisement

Wednesday - 1,560m swim. Forgot to jot down one of Kurt's sessions so just did my own - mostly technique because I'm not a high energy person in the morning! 300 swim, 240 pull, 300 kick, 240 swim, 120 sailboat, 120 catch-up drill, 240 swim. Pool went from busy to rammed in the 40 ish minutes I was there, started with 3 others in the lane and got out with 7 others there... Glad I did it, almost hit the snooze button when the alarm went at 6:30 and then questioned the meaning of life while freezing my arse off waiting for the train at Finsbury Park, but things felt a lot better once I got in the water.

Wednesday PM - treated myself a little too much when we went to Costa after work (I regret nothing, the new mini banoffee tart is fcuking amazing) so hopped on the turbo for a sneaky half hour. Was grand, seemed like a better option than heading out for a run in the lashing rain anyway! :pac:

Thursday - 6km run @ 6:08/km average pace. Was ok, starting to feel the effects of being back in work and sleeping weirdness caused by the change back to normality and didn't feel like I had as much energy as I did when I ran on Tuesday.

Friday - coached swim session, 1,500m-ish total. Heavy focus on technique work due to the fact we had a big group with wildly varying ability but that's quite useful.

Saturday - 80 minute turbo. Weather was crap, raining and extremely windy, so took an indoor option this afternoon. Just stuck on Sunderland v Liverpool and belted away. Not the greatest of matches, but ok background noise. Stomach has turned into a bottomless pit this afternoon after it though, was starving about an hour after eating a lunch consisting of last night's stir fry!

Sunday - just a short run, but slowly kicking up the pace! 3.7km @ 5:43/km average pace, with the last 800m-ish at 5:15/km ish pace.

Monday - swim, aimed to do the day 1 session from Kurt Godel's most recent week, but modified to suit a 30m pool. 240m swim warmup, 4 * 60 kick, 90m, 180m, 390m, 600m, 300 cd. (middle intervals should be 100, 200, 400, 600, 800 in a standard length pool) I ended up leaving off the 800m interval because the thought of another 26 lengths (780m) with the absolute numpties in my lane was really not filling me with great joy. I was 20 minutes late out of work today, and that 20 minutes basically slammed the end of my workout straight into absolute peak time. Oh well. Total 2,040m.

• Advertisement

Tuesday - 40 minute morning turbo. This fell under 'git 'r done', not very pleasant but glad I did it anyway. Don't have the chance to train later because we're going to Upton Park for the 3rd round replay, so it was morning or bust to keep up a perfect record of doing something every day this year so far.

Wednesday - 50 minute turbo. Almost took a rest day but I was in an absolute bastard of a mood after a crap day in work and I'd been pretty much doing this

Kirby-inhaling-food.gif

to a box of chocolates that someone had left on the table in the meeting room we were in today... had to do something to cheer myself up and feel like less of a fat blob. I'm enough of a gimp to admit that I watched an entire episode of Don't Tell The Bride while on the turbo :eek:

Thursday - run to work, 5.8km @ 5:50/km average pace. Felt pretty damn good, apart from the ****ty part near the school in Canonbury where a lot of white middle class parents see fit to walk their little Tarquins 5 abreast, completely blocking up the path in the process.

Now please work, do not drive me insane again today.

Friday - OH's family are over for the Sarries - Munster match from this evening, so no coached swim session for me tonight. Went for a pre work dip anyway, which went something along the lines of 240 swim, 240 kick, 240 pull, 4 * 90 fast (before I got pissed off with the sheer number of slow feet ahead of me in the lane), 420 easy enough swim, totalling off at 1,500m. Didn't really have time for much more if I was going to make it to work for 9am, but still not too bad for a morning session.

Saturday - rest day, rugby, tapas and beer.

Sunday - forgot to turn on Strava or my Garmin... but it was about an hour, probably not too far short of 10km. Up to Hampstead Heath for my usual hilly run route, very enjoyable :)

Monday - 6km run @ 6:16/km average pace. Getting colder...

Tuesday - short swim. Only really had half an hour because it took us a long time to clear a deep frost off the car windscreen. Body wasn't there at all when I got to the pool, felt incredibly lethargic. Did 1,200m in the end and called it a day.

Tuesday PM - 6.9km run @ 5.51/km average pace. First half with himself, second half solo (and a little slower!). Did not freeze arse off as much as I thought I would. Success :)

Wednesday - 40 minute turbo. Meant to do this before work, but I whacked the snooze button and inadvertently bought myself an extra hour in bed! Done anyway, but cost myself the opportunity of squeezing in something else this evening. Oh well. Mixed in a bit of big gear work, but it was mostly easy spinning.

Thursday - pre work swim. May have been a little bold and eaten a Co-op cinnamon danish shortly after getting off the tube to get the energy for this. :eek: Felt pretty good anyway once I'd warmed up - 300 swim, 240 pull, 300 kick, 3 * (60 finger trail drill, 60 catch-up drill, 60 sailboat, 60 swim), 120 swim = 1,680m total.

Friday - 30 minute turbo. Felt like crap, blame Auntie Flo. :mad: Ended up just putting it into a very easy gear and spinning the legs out, knew within 5 minutes that it wasn't my day at all.

Saturday - "long" run, 12km @ 6:19/km average pace - Archway - Hampstead Heath - Camden Town. Felt pretty crap for the first 3km-ish, not helped by the fact that my route is front-loaded with hills. Started to feel a lot better once the worst hills were over and the run started to get enjoyable from there. 4k

Sunday - went out to Hampton Court Palace for the afternoon, and we sneaked in a short run out there before we headed home. 4km @ 5:49/km average pace. Enjoyable run - ran through the park near there and it was flat as a pancake with a lovely running surface.

• Advertisement

Monday - 2,220m swim. Did the pull buoy/fists session from Kurt's ones last week, modified for a 30m pool. 180 swim, 120 kick, 60 fists, 120 pb, 60 fists, 180 pb, 60 fists, 300 pb, 60 fists, 420 pb, 60 fists, 480 pb, 120 backstroke at the end to wind out the shoulders. It's absolutely crazy how bad the later 60 fists reps felt - like I'm trying to swim through a non-Newtonian fluid or something! Decent session though and glad to get it done.

Tuesday - 5.8km run to work, 5:48/km average pace. All downhill so just roll in! I didn't have to shout at anyone for blocking the path either, so today was a good day. Will probably do strength work at the gym with himself later, I've been neglecting that this month.

Tuesday PM - circuits at the gym with himself. 3 mins row, 3 * (8 medicine ball twists, 16 jumping lunges, 10 press-ups, 10 one legged squats each side, 10 hamstring curls, 10 OHP with 6kg dumbbells, 60 sec front plank, right side plank, left side plank). My upper body is a bit unimpressed with me now - a sure sign I haven't been doing enough strength work lately. We'll see tomorrow!

...yep, it hurts. Kept it handy enough today - 6.1km run @ 6:06/km average pace. Almost didn't go because I got dead lazy when I got home from work, but kicked my own arse out the door when my OH started setting up the turbo to spin through the first half of the Spurs match. Was grand in the end, but bloody cold!

Thursday - rest day

Friday - coached swim session - 1,500m of technique work, always useful! Mostly focusing on hand entry and catch.

Saturday - meant to go do my long run, but woke up feeling pretty crapulent - bit of a sore throat and a general ugh feeling. Decided to chance a circuits class at the gym. HR took absolutely ages to drop back to normal afterwards, which didn't feel right, so I decided that the rest of the day would be lazy apart from a bit of housework.

Sunday - still not 100%, so kept it fairly handy with a 40 minute turbo. Felt a bit harder than it should, but meh.

Monday - swim, did the day 2 session (swim/PB) from this week. Well tried anyway... hellacious cramps in my calves after the 600m swim rep so just swam 420 with PB after that to ease off a bit. Am guessing that the fact that I was swimming at 6pm having not eaten since lunch at 12:45 may have been the issue... covered 2,160m anyway which I can't be too annoyed at.

Tuesday - circuits at the gym. 3 mins row, 3 * (8 medicine ball twists, 16 jumping lunges, 10 press-ups, 10 one legged squats each side, 10 hamstring curls on swiss ball, 10 OHP with 6kg dumbbells, 60 sec front plank, right side plank, left side plank) - same as last week. Felt a bit better than last time, but we'll see in the morning! I meant to run this morning as well, but we had snow overnight and I didn't fancy slip-sliding around!

Wednesday AM - run 5.9km @ 5:48/km average pace, ran to work. All downhill, easy breezy :)

Wednesday PM - 40 min turbo, on the 5 min alternate 1 min out of saddle/1 min sprint. Bit of a rush to get this done due to poker/football night, but twas still good :)

Thursday AM - pre work swim. 240 swim, 240 kick, 240 swim, 3 * (60 pull, 60 finger trail, 60 catchup, 60 swim), 180 swim - total 1,620m in around 40 minutes. Happy with that, feeling pretty good in the water and it's quite satisfying to get that in before work. :)

• Advertisement

Thursday PM - slightly longer run than intended, 14.1km, 6:07/km average pace. Meant to stop after around 10-11km and hop on a bus the rest of the way home, but forgot that there was a bus strike on and when faced with a 30 minute wait for the scabwagon I just said feck it and ran home.

Advertisement