Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elf

• 25-09-2014 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭

Just saw an ad for this coming to the Bord Gais Theatre for Xmas. Like the movie,it's a Christmas staple in our house but not sure about a musical version. Have never even heard of it before which seems odd. Anyone know anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

As far as I know this is a European premiere, having run on Broadway and in the US for the past few years around Christmas time. Have to admit, not appealing to me at all, even thought I love the movie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I suspect it's going to be an alternative to the traditional Panto, very much a family day out type of event.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Myself and my sister are going to this - she LOVES Elf which I introduced her to a few years ago. I've heard it's not very good but a few days before Christmas it will be oerfect Christmas evening out.

I just got an email last week to say that Ben Forster will play Buddy the Elf (apparently won Superstar the year it was for 'Jesus Christ, Superstar) and Aoibhín McGinnitty will play Jovie. Dunno how to break it to my sister that Trish from Love/Hate is playing Jovie, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Needmockhelp

I have the cast album and I can tell you the music is absolutely hilarious. Its very Christmasy and would be a great night out for the family. The show is quite funny too. Don't know how I feel about the two leads, but we'll see.

Ps. I'm an 19 year old student, who studies musical theatre so i have an idea about shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Ps. I'm an 19 year old student, who studies musical theatre so i have an idea about shows.

Whoah look out guys, there's a teenage musical theatre expert in our midst... Everyone's opinion is as valid here as anyone elses!

This looks quite fun, definitely preferable to a panto. Ben Forster gives it a little bit (and I do mean just a little bit) of extra credibility as well. And despite being as pricey as the BGET always does, it's selling superbly well, at least for the pre-christmas section of the run. Hope it does well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 jtthom

I see this is coming over here next month, has anyone been? Not too well up on musicals so have no idea if this is just hoping you're a fan of the film and that you'll buy tickets to this.
    A SPLASHY, PEPPY, SUGAR-SPRINKLED HOLIDAY ENTERTAINMENT!

Anyone able to do better than the New York Times in selling this to me? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I've gotten my niece tickets for Christmas to go see the show in January.
    It's a bit selfish since I'm dying to see it and I'll be the one to bring her.
    Hopefully its still as charming after Christmas as before.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It'll be a good way to beat the post-Christmas blues anyway! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Just home from Elf even though it was after Christmas I still really really enjoyed it.

Still cant figure out how they made the sleigh fly at the end.It was astounding.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just home from Elf even though it was after Christmas I still really really enjoyed it.

Still cant figure out how they made the sleigh fly at the end.It was astounding.

Haha, I saw it in December and came out wondering the same thing! Maybe it really was all the Christmas Cheer ;)

Great show with some great songs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We were in the front row so we were right under Santa's sleigh. I'd say it looked pretty cool from further back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

We were in the front row so we were right under Santa's sleigh. I'd say it looked pretty cool from further back.

I was in the middle. It looked simple unbelievable how they did it!

Advertisement