Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Deasy as an Independent?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

No wonder Paudie is moving up the ladder - "grovel, grovel".....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

He won't leave Fine Gael. They pay for him to be re-elected and Fine Gael have more numbers in the Dail. It's a happy arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Hands up if you think John Deasy will run as an Independent in the next General Election.

From the Irish Times: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-members-disgusted-at-way-party-being-run-deasy-1.1941552

My favourite quote: "if you can grovel to the Taoiseach for long enough” and “if you can read a script.

“It’s down to being a supporter of the Taoiseach or not,” he said.

How will you know if my hand is up?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Despite the criticism, the outspoken Waterford TD said he had no intention of resigning from the party citing his long family links to Fine Gael.

http://www.thejournal.ie/john-deasy-fine-gael-disgusted-1689675-Sep2014/

Nothing new here tbh. John is always having a go at the party.

John is right in many aspects of what he said today. This whole issue about the appointment onto boards in the run up to the seanad election and everything surrounding the unholy mess is just another bad example of stroke politics and why FG are being dubbed 'FF Lite'. It's a disaster from start to finish. Though, his point about loyalty and appointments for Ministerial positions strikes me as as a bit of jealousy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Run as an independent not a chance. He would have to work for a living then, rather than a well timed media hit three times between elections and coast the rest of the time that he currently does.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

This is wrong but I support it anyway.

Stay classy John, stay classy.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Where were himself and his other two quiet-as-a-mouse cronies Conway and Coffey this morning? They were all asked to comment on the situation within FG on Billy MaCarthy this morning, and guess what? They were all "busy". With what, I cannot possibly imagine. Its certainly not with promoting Waterford and trying to reverse the job cuts and closure of public businesses. Sure Dungarvan has been plundered in recent years, Waterford not much better and what have these 3 done? Sweet FA. Id say you would need a tank to try and remove any of them from their cushy little number of claiming expenses and sitting in a swanky office chair, nodding at their constituents. Saw Coffey at some swanky art event with local prominent heads on the paper the other day, and at the creation of some local jobs event, big smile for the camera.

But where is he, and the other 2, when times get tough? Doing nothing, they are only in it for the cash and the status, all 3 of them, and the idiots that vote them in time and again only have themselves to blame at the inaction of their local TDs. What a fcuked up system.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

People seem to get in an awful huff about Fine Gael on this forum and i have no allegiances to any party.I wouldn't be much of a fan of politicians but you could swear that Fianna Fail weren't the crowd that ran this country off a cliff during their time in government (and we'll be paying for that for another decade yet) the way some people are carrying on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Where were himself and his other two quiet-as-a-mouse cronies Conway and Coffey this morning? They were all asked to comment on the situation within FG on Billy MaCarthy this morning, and guess what? They were all "busy". With what, I cannot possibly imagine. Its certainly not with promoting Waterford and trying to reverse the job cuts and closure of public businesses. Sure Dungarvan has been plundered in recent years, Waterford not much better and what have these 3 done? Sweet FA. Id say you would need a tank to try and remove any of them from their cushy little number of claiming expenses and sitting in a swanky office chair, nodding at their constituents. Saw Coffey at some swanky art event with local prominent heads on the paper the other day, and at the creation of some local jobs event, big smile for the camera.

But where is he, and the other 2, when times get tough? Doing nothing, they are only in it for the cash and the status, all 3 of them, and the idiots that vote them in time and again only have themselves to blame at the inaction of their local TDs. What a fcuked up system.

How do you know what they are or aren't at behind closed doors, in terms of trying to get jobs into the constituency?!

Pissing and moaning on Billy McCarthy certainly isn't going to generate any jobs. And sure what more do you want / expect Deasy to say than what he already said yesterday, he basically gave Enda a big 2 middle fingers.

How do you know what they are or aren't at behind closed doors, in terms of trying to get jobs into the constituency?!

Pissing and moaning on Billy McCarthy certainly isn't going to generate any jobs. And sure what more do you want / expect Deasy to say than what he already said yesterday, he basically gave Enda a big 2 middle fingers.

Billy McCarthy is listened to by a huge number of people so the gesture of him coming on to elaborate on his views and maybe give us, you know, the people who elected him, an insight into what he is doing to help his constituents, would have been appreciated but no, he choose to hide away under the old mantle of being "busy". I certainly cant name a single thing John Deasy has done for the betterment of his constituents but Im open to correction if people claim otherwise. Coffey I have experience with dealing on an issue and he was totally dismissive of my issue and concern so I have zero faith in him. They really are all the same when it comes down to it, as cliched as that sounds. They want the expenses, the fancy parties and crawling up the backside of their leader. Everything they say is timed and spun to help themselves in some way. Fact.

• Advertisement

Billy McCarthy is listened to by a huge number of people so the gesture of him coming on to elaborate on his views and maybe give us, you know, the people who elected him, an insight into what he is doing to help his constituents, would have been appreciated but no, he choose to hide away under the old mantle of being "busy". I certainly cant name a single thing John Deasy has done for the betterment of his constituents but Im open to correction if people claim otherwise. Coffey I have experience with dealing on an issue and he was totally dismissive of my issue and concern so I have zero faith in him. They really are all the same when it comes down to it, as cliched as that sounds. They want the expenses, the fancy parties and crawling up the backside of their leader. Everything they say is timed and spun to help themselves in some way. Fact.

Hold on, if as you say his main concern is with keeping the gravy train going, and since this thread is as a direct result of him crawling out of the leader's backside and shooting him with a ball of his own excrement yesterday, why would he turn down the opportunity to come on local radio and gain the "appreciation" of his constituents... square that circle for me?

Hold on, if as you say his main concern is with keeping the gravy train going, and since this thread is as a direct result of him crawling out of the leader's backside and shooting him with a ball of his own excrement yesterday, why would he turn down the opportunity to come on local radio and gain the "appreciation" of his constituents... square that circle for me?

Because one of the first (and even given Billy's reputation for treating the politicians with kid gloves) questions put to John Deasy would be why did he pick now, this moment, to come out and make such a divisive statement against Kenny. Dont forget Deasy is notoriously hard to contact and very much in the background when it comes to politics. At least, for all their uselessness, I have seen and heard Coffey and Conway plenty of times. John Deasy holes himself up somewhere and hides until an opportunity arises to release some statement which either makes him look good to his constituents and hence re-election or else he is jumping on some bandwagon and he comes out smelling of roses at the end.

Deasy doesnt do anything without a reason.

Because one of the first (and even given Billy's reputation for treating the politicians with kid gloves) questions put to John Deasy would be why did he pick now, this moment, to come out and make such a divisive statement against Kenny. Dont forget Deasy is notoriously hard to contact and very much in the background when it comes to politics. At least, for all their uselessness, I have seen and heard Coffey and Conway plenty of times. John Deasy holes himself up somewhere and hides until an opportunity arises to release some statement which either makes him look good to his constituents and hence re-election or else he is jumping on some bandwagon and he comes out smelling of roses at the end.

So do you disagree with what he said yesterday then?

If so you, what part(s)?

If not, what are you giving out about, surely the timing is due to the fact that the specific thing he was speaking out against happened this week - he'd have to be a psychic to have spoken out any sooner wouldn't he, and there'd be little point speaking out next month... :confused:

Just to be clear before any accusations start flying, I have zero interest in politics, couldn't even tell you who I voted for in the last election.

So do you disagree with what he said yesterday then?

If so you, what part(s)?

If not, what are you giving out about, surely the timing is due to the fact that the specific thing he was speaking out against happened this week - he'd have to be a psychic to have spoken out any sooner wouldn't he, and there'd be little point speaking out next month... :confused:

Just to be clear before any accusations start flying, I have zero interest in politics, couldn't even tell you who I voted for in the last election.

You have zero interest in politics yet every interest in handing money to a private company (Irish Water) who lines the pockets of politicians. Theres not much else to be said to you, pal.

You have zero interest in politics yet every interest in handing money to a private company (Irish Water) who lines the pockets of politicians. Theres not much else to be said to you, pal.

So in other words you're attacking the poster rather than the post. Classy. Pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Sully wrote: »

John is right in many aspects of what he said today. This whole issue about the appointment onto boards in the run up to the seanad election and everything surrounding the unholy mess is just another bad example of stroke politics and why FG are being dubbed 'FF Lite'. It's a disaster from start to finish. Though, his point about loyalty and appointments for Ministerial positions strikes me as as a bit of jealousy.

If John Deasy had received a post in the government, we would not be hearing any of this from him. His father, Austin Deasy, was also a bit of a curmudgeon.
    This was mentioned on PK today - I think he used the phrase 'black cat, black kitten'. Or, as I have always heard it said:
    'What is in the cat, is in the kitten'!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Run as an independent not a chance. He would have to work for a living then, rather than a well timed media hit three times between elections and coast the rest of the time that he currently does.

Guess Maura is giving him plenty of advice about projecting himself in the media!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Excellent analysis!1

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

With the way things are going its looking like Fiana Fail were Fine Gael-lite not the other way around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Citing the Journal is shaky ground to start any discussion, IMO one of the worst online red top rags out there.

• Advertisement

With the way things are going its looking like Fiana Fail were Fine Gael-lite not the other way around
    Dont be silly. Fianna fail BANKRUPTED the country and brought in the Troika. Why do you think the country is undergoing so much hardship at present? You seem to have forgotten very quickly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

culbaire wrote: »
    Dont be silly. Fianna fail BANKRUPTED the country and brought in the Troika. Why do you think the country is undergoing so much hardship at present? You seem to have forgotten very quickly!!

Nobody has forgotten but just because FF were scoundrels doesn't mean the current crowd get a free pass and are entitled to go without scrutiny and criticism.

Don't be facetious, I was merely pointing out the fact Fine Gael have had as many if not more public scandals in relation to corruption and cronyism as Fiana Fail. The flaws inherent in Fiana Fail are just as bad in Fine Gael who failed to provide any criticism of any budget or policies pre-banking collapse and in fact had a desire to implement the exact same policies that led to the crisis... I forget very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Don't be facetious, I was merely pointing out the fact Fine Gael have had as many if not more public scandals in relation to corruption and cronyism as Fiana Fail. The flaws inherent in Fiana Fail are just as bad in Fine Gael who failed to provide any criticism of any budget or policies pre-banking collapse and in fact had a desire to implement the exact same policies that led to the crisis... I forget very little.

take it a step further FG nearly fell over themselves to lay claim to some of the budget policies /ideas pre-banking collapse.
    but history is always written by the victors.......

Factually incorrect. In budget speeches 2004/2005/2006 Richard Bruton warned re explosion in public spending and the consequent dangers. FF was in power. It took the decisions. Oppositions don't rule countries. Trying to spread the blame to the opposition is a cop out.

Factually incorrect. In budget speeches 2004/2005/2006 Richard Bruton warned re explosion in public spending and the consequent dangers. FF was in power. It took the decisions. Oppositions don't rule countries. Trying to spread the blame to the opposition is a cop out.

Enda Kenny proposed very similar alternative budgets with more concessions for those on pensions the big difference. Everyone was aware there was a danger there, hence Fiana Fail's motto of "safe hands". But nonetheless Enda Kenny's proposals of almost identical budgets at the time and a failure of criticism was a secondary point. My real point is that Fiana Gael have been embroiled in as many controversies as Fiana Fail were, if not more.

Deasy has been trying to oust Kenny for as long and tbf it seems like he is rising on a bubble of anti-sentiment within Fine Gael from the TDs who realise they won't get promoted before the next election and won't get money allocated to their area over others.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

[QuoteThis evening John Deasy urged Fine Gael members to vote for John McNulty, despite Mr McNulty having asked members of the Oireachtas not to vote for him.

Mr Deasy described the situation as ridiculous and said it needs to be brought to an end.[/quote]

Source: http://m.rte.ie/news/2014/1002/649521-humphreys-questioned-over-mcnulty-controversy/

Wont get any media traction but John seems to be rowing back here on his original criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

[QuoteThis evening John Deasy urged Fine Gael members to vote for John McNulty, despite Mr McNulty having asked members of the Oireachtas not to vote for him.

Mr Deasy described the situation as ridiculous and said it needs to be brought to an end.

Source: http://m.rte.ie/news/2014/1002/649521-humphreys-questioned-over-mcnulty-controversy/

Wont get any media traction but John seems to be rowing back here on his original criticism.[/QUOTE]

No he is stirring it up, they are now in a situation where they have to vote for a guy who has pulled out of the election. They cannot undo the stroke, Deasy has done damage to Kenny. A vote for mcnulty will compound it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Deasy confirmed he will not leave Fine Gael.

• Advertisement

Enda Kenny proposed very similar alternative budgets with more concessions for those on pensions the big difference. Everyone was aware there was a danger there, hence Fiana Fail's motto of "safe hands". But nonetheless Enda Kenny's proposals of almost identical budgets at the time and a failure of criticism was a secondary point. My real point is that Fiana Gael have been embroiled in as many controversies as Fiana Fail were, if not more.

Deasy has been trying to oust Kenny for as long and tbf it seems like he is rising on a bubble of anti-sentiment within Fine Gael from the TDs who realise they won't get promoted before the next election and won't get money allocated to their area over others.
    Get this much. FF and the PDs were in POWER. They wrecked the economy. FG and Labour were in opposition. FG did not propose similar budgets to FF. They OPPOSED benchmarking on the grounds that overspending would blow up the economy. It cost them the 2007 general election. Read Richard Brutons budget speeches in 2004/05/06 WARNING FF and the PDs to halt the explosion in government spending. FF+PDs increased government spending by 25% from 2005-2007. We know the results. It was like pouring petrol on the flames. Remember Bertie Ahern's suicide comments in relation to critics of the FF+PD government? "Safe hands indeed"

Advertisement