Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy, inexpensive lunch in Dublin City Center?

Options
  • 25-09-2014 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I cycle to and from work, a good 20k each way. It's pretty hungry work, but for the last year or so the job's had a pop-up lunch shop run by an outside vendor, from which I could get a nice big wholegrain roll, well-filled with whatever I ordered, and a cup of proper soup, all for a fiver.

Now the vendor is leaving us, as there aren't enough people using the shop and they're operating at a loss.

Before the pop-up there was a place in the IFSC where I could stuff a sandwich with whatever I wanted to my heart's content for a fiver, but they've gone out of business. Can anyone recommend any alternatives around the City Quay, IFSC and Pearse St Station area? I'm looking for healthy, filling and cheap, and I'm not a fussy eater.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Dublin City as the locals can better advise you than foodies from all over the country & beyond.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Pig and Heffer there on Amiens st don't stinge on the fillings. It will be slightly more than a fiver and the ingredients are top notch. On wednesdays down behind the convention centre there is a food market that has lots of options!

http://www.pigandheifer.ie/our-menu.html

http://irishvillagemarkets.ie/spencer-dock/

When I was in college there used to be this tiny newsagents at the corner of pearse st and lombard st called O'Donovans.

It was always packed with people getting sizeable rolls for cheap. Not sure if it still open. Actually going to take a walk up there myself and check!

I will report back next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭maticm18

greek restautant on teple bar. great food, fair prices..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

When I was in college there used to be this tiny newsagents at the corner of pearse st and lombard st called O'Donovans.

It was always packed with people getting sizeable rolls for cheap. Not sure if it still open. Actually going to take a walk up there myself and check!

I will report back next week!

Still open and busy as ever. Chicken Tijuana is the way to go. Not that healthy though!

banjopaul wrote: »
    Still open and busy as ever. Chicken Tijuana is the way to go. Not that healthy though!

Friday morning breakfast rolls, it was incredible the volume they were able to create in that little shop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

maticm18 wrote: »
    greek restautant on teple bar. great food, fair prices..

On Parilement st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Brasilia in the Irish life centre do soup and sandwich for 3.85. Sandwiches are well filled but dunno about too healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DoctorDre

Mongolian BBQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

Govindas as healthy as it get , and the small plate is enough

http://www.govindas.ie/Location-vegetarian-veggie-take-away-dublin-city-centre.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Pho Saigon in Amiens Street (across the road from Connolly, just about under the train line) - wide menu, so you can get as healthy (or not) as you like. Their summer rolls are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Cook a double helping of whatever you're having for dinner and bring half in with you in the morning in a tupperware box. The healthiest and most inexpensive lunch you'll ever have.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SionnachOghma

Looks like some good suggestions there; thanks all :)

As for simply packing and bringing in my own lunch, that would be the most sensible option if I wasn't such a glutton. I cook a double helping of dinner, I usually wind up just eating it. No self-control at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I have the same problem sometimes, which I solve by cooking a triple helping!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think it's virtually impossible to get a low carb lunch in Dublin, Lolly & Cooks used to have flour free soup so had that almost every day.

What Dublin really needs is a cafe or two that offer healthy meals for low carbers, even a decent salad counter would do me. I don't like salad counters that have pre mixed salad, I like everything separate and dressing free so I can make up my own salad. Why is this almost impossible to find here?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Lux23 wrote: »
    I think it's virtually impossible to get a low carb lunch in Dublin, Lolly & Cooks used to have flour free soup so had that almost every day.

What Dublin really needs is a cafe or two that offer healthy meals for low carbers, even a decent salad counter would do me. I don't like salad counters that have pre mixed salad, I like everything separate and dressing free so I can make up my own salad. Why is this almost impossible to find here?
    What about Staple Foods?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Lux23 wrote: »

KC Peaches on Nassau Street across from Trinity has an excellent salad bar where you pay by the box size for take away or by the plate size to eat in. Probably about 1/3 of their salad bar offers plain ingredients while the rest is what you might call "mixed salad" options. I forget the price but it is a good value - I always see student-looking types stuffing their lunch boxes extremely full :)

There's also Chopped on Lower Baggot Street but they make the salad or salad wraps up for you. There are lots of ingredient choices though it adds up in price since you pay per item I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭no money honey

Diceys carvery 5 or 6 euro big feed cant go wrong. If you're one of those veggie world peace types then buy a stick of celery and carry it around.

Advertisement