Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New or second hand 50mm 1.8 Canon lens?

• 25-09-2014 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

What do you think? Is it worth while looking out for a second hand 50mm 1.8 canon lens or should i just get a new one circa €130.

Tried getting one on gumtree over the weekend and there was one being sold near to where I live but once i said I'd like to try it on my rebel to take a picture all line of communication were dropped. I presume in the second hand market that was a reasonable suggestion?!

That is why I am veering towards a new one … but I don't NEED one straight away so I could wait and see what second hand stock comes in to the city centre camera shops

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Perhaps consider a second hand 1.4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

Riamfada wrote: »
    Perhaps consider a second hand 1.4?

Someone said a 1.8 was good for portrait with blurred background etc etc. A 1.4 is more expensive? But probably far better? I might ask the camera shops about second hand 1.4 50mm so, thanks for the alternative option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Used Canon lenses are a great buy especially through the UK websites such as Ffordes in Scotland and Aperture in London . Amateur Photography magazine has most of the reputable shop's ads andwill give you a good idea of prices. Always look up the websites for latest stock. The staff are usually very friendly over the phone and keep p+p to a minimum.

Best thing about used is you are able to afford better ( such as the 1.4 ) and you can sell on at minimal loss when you want to upgrade or whatever . I've even made a profit on some lenses ;)

Thanks Des and Riam, I'll hold off and see what a second hand 1.4 will be…. cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Yeah I got a 1.4 new in Conns and its probably the best lens I use. Great for street photography. Nice and light and great in the dark. Fantastic build quality. Should get a good one second hand for about 250.

The 24-7mm F2/4 is great and all but really heavy to lump around. The 50mm feels like Im wearing nothing at all... nothing at all ... nothing at all

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

Would have thought €130 very steep for 50mm 1.8. Google camerpricebuster in the U.K. Or try MPB photographic as an alternative to the other used re sellers mentioned above. Have used them before and found them quite good. Have a 6 month warranty on most items.

Might hold out for one so thanks. Got a second hand 'Rebel' body there at the start of the year as a second camera for outdoor, rough and tumble kit. N2G
    Riamfada wrote: »
    Yeah I got a 1.4 new in Conns and its probably the best lens I use. Great for street photography. Nice and light and great in the dark. Fantastic build quality. Should get a good one second hand for about 250.

The 24-7mm F2/4 is great and all but really heavy to lump around. The 50mm feels like Im wearing nothing at all... nothing at all ... nothing at all

hqdefault.jpg

Thanks, Ill check those out
    almorris wrote: »
    Would have thought €130 very steep for 50mm 1.8. Google camerpricebuster in the U.K. Or try MPB photographic as an alternative to the other used re sellers mentioned above. Have used them before and found them quite good. Have a 6 month warranty on most items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

130 is dear for a canon 50mm the buid quality is not great.

If you can get a secondhand one for 50 I would take it otherwise get a new on for around 100.

• Advertisement

Finally decided and got a new Canon 1.8 50mm for €115 (down from €130). Think they just wanted to stop me checking in once in a while for a second hand one … thanks everyone for all the advice …. didn't have the cash for the 1.4 (or second hand one at that) …. I am happy with my purchase …. !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Not2Good wrote: »
    I am happy with my purchase …. !

Thats the important thing, enjoy it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Not2Good wrote: »
    Finally decided and got a new Canon 1.8 50mm for €115 (down from €130). Think they just wanted to stop me checking in once in a while for a second hand one … thanks everyone for all the advice …. didn't have the cash for the 1.4 (or second hand one at that) …. I am happy with my purchase …. !

It's a super little lens - you won't be sorry :)

Advertisement