Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elective Csection After Traumatic Delivery

Options
  • 25-09-2014 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, Im a regular reader and user on this forum but wanted to post anonymously for my question.

Ps long post!

I had an assisted vaginal delivery in 2012, my first child.
    My waters were leaking for a week before I went into labour and the midwives finally believed that they were in fact my waters and not a discharge ( previous week consultant told me It was just a discharge)
    I was put on IV antibiotics right away but had to be induced to speed labour up.
    Long story short, I got the epidural and was on my back for the birth. There was fetal distress and my temperature was high so it was a rush to get him out.
    My son was back to back, a vacuum and forceps was used and I had an episiotomy. I had a 2degree lateral tear from this and needed 20 stitches. My son was 8lb 7oz. Ive a small frame (my physio told me).

I was in pain for weeks after and went to my gp who referred me to a consultant in Cumh, who then referred me to physio. I was told that I had a rectocele (posterior prolapse) and work began on making me more comfortable. The physio also told me that they could have stitched me up better and effectively my pelvic floor was damaged. I suffered permenant damage to an inside muscle of the vagina. She also told me I had a very long tailbone that curved up and in which made the vaginal birth more difficult. She recommended If I was to ever have another child again I should have a c-section.

I went to physio for 8 months and it became more manageable in that time. I cant run or jump, but take care of lifting and I hold my pelvic floor muscles when I cough.
    Bowel movements are a problem however as I have to support myself down there when having a bowel movement which is just horrible if Im honest.
    Sex was very painful for a long time and still flares up every now and then. I take ponstan every month when my period is due as it is too painful down below to stand up during that time.
    I spent the good part of my sons first year just down and depressed.

I swore never to have a child again but here I am 28 weeks pregnant and I am having an absolute heart attack I dont know what to do with myself. I am currently attending physio for pelvic girdle pain and I have told my physio all about my history and she is recommending I speak to a consultant about an elective c section. My gp is also supportive of this choice.
    In truth, I dont want a c section, Im concerned about how Im going to look after my two year old but at the same time im terrified of damaging my pelvic floor further..I just dont know if my confidence or I can take it again :(

More than anything I just would love some opinions on what to do!
    Please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Hi, I can only offer my own experience and my plans, rather than advice... My baby girl is 3 weeks old. I had a traumatic delivery too (emergency forceps + episiotomy, high temp, baby was facing the side rather than face down, and she was 10lbs 4oz and I am 5ft 3! My baby was then resussed after 4 of the longest minutes of my life and brought up to SCBU for monitoring). It sounds like you've had a really rough time, I'm so sorry! I still get very tearful and upset about what happened to me too. I know the risks that come with sections but there's no way I could mentally prepare myself for going through a subsequent vaginal delivery after what happened during my first delivery. If and when the time comes I will be seeking an elective C-section myself, even though I am nervous about a section too. I hope your delivery, whatever way you choose to do it, is a much smoother and happier time for you this time round. x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

When you see the consultant they will assess how you healed after your tear, and will tell you the likelihood of tearing again, and tell you your options. You won't have to decide there and then.

Personally, I found recovery from a c section (after 3rd degree tear on first) very hard, and longer than most but I am also grateful now that I am not incontinent.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

I can't recommend the gentle birth website and the use of Hypnobirthing. you really can have a different labour this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

fall wrote: »
    I can't recommend the gentle birth website and the use of Hypnobirthing. you really can have a different labour this time.

Yes she may have a more positive labour,but that will not stop the incontinence, which would be my biggest concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

It's not just about positivity. The site is run by mid wives and it teaches and encourages natural birth( as in minimal medical intervention). A huge amount of the people on the Facebook pages have stories similar to the OPs and wanted their subsequent births to be different. There are women on it who have had a first labour that resulted in tears, stitches, forceps and emergency sections etc. They have gone on to have very different labours using the techniques. A huge amount of interventions made are to do with time management and often have negative results for the mother. But even if the op goes with an elected section they have specific techniques to help make it as positive as possible.
    This is my second pregnancy also and i know what is like to go through a traumatic pregnancy. I am just saying to the op to look at this as an option. It may not be her thing but it has helped me. I wish you a happy and safe lbirth whatever you choose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Nobody but your consultant can tell you what to do. Any one but your medical professionals opinion does not matter.

I know it's hard to swallow but with your history, if they suggest an elective c section I'd go with what they are suggesting. I know that I wouldn't take the risk of damaging myself further (and I've had two emergency c sections, both for fetal distress and failure to progress). Yes, they were hard to recover from, especially my second one looking after 3 other children as well as myself and a newborn, but it's what had to happen for the safety of myself and my baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sounds like you had a very rough time. I think you should speak to women who have had elective c-sections for reassurance. My friends who have had them after difficult previous births have told me the experience was really brilliant, especially in CUMH.

One of my friends had a difficult induction, an episitomy, failed suction, followed by an emergency section. very hard to recover physically, infected stitches etc. She had a planned csection second delivery. She checked into her room and got unpacked. Went down to have the baby, no pain before, during or after. Neat scar. She said she was very worried in advance of it, but fnd it really fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

You poor thing. I had an emergency c section(fetal distress after failed induction) and yes, recovery was no joke. But after 2 weeks I was well on the road to healing and was fully healed and back to "normal" at my 6 week post partum assessment. So though I don't have much advice all I want to tell you is to not fear the section. My consultant was amazing and he did the most beautiful job. And most importantly my beautiful baba was perfect (despite a frantic few quiet minutes :-() all the very best to you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

sounds like a horrible experience, my heart goes out to you.

i had two sections, both classified emergency due to fetal distress and failure to progress. the first section was truly traumatic, being rushed to the theatre, everything happened so fast and i wasnt prepared for it mentally, as a section completely clashed with my vision of how birth should be (everything went well though, and recovery was quick).

the second one, while still an 'emergency', was much calmer as i pretty much expected the section when labour didn't progress, same thing as with our first baby. so it was an informed decision, not rushed, the operating staff had time to prepare, i had time to prepare mentally, and things went well. i still feel cheated that i never managed a normal birth, but at the end of the day all that counts is that baby gets delivered safely.

dont fear the section, the worst bit for me was being stuck in hospital for 3 days rather than being allowed home. recovery was really quick, the scars will fade and i gained my strength back fairly quickly. only thing that was a little tough was not being able to lift the toddler for a while, and not being able to drive for a little bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭user2012

I had an elective section on my first & will be having another one with this one. For me the recovery after the section was fine. I'll have a 2 year old when this one arrives & I have no doubt it will be challenging managing the two of them together along with the recovery but it's something I'm prepared to deal with. I imagine the first couple of weeks will be the hardest as it will be a learning curve for us all but it's something we will need to do with as little fuss as possible.
    If your physio has recommended a section then I'm sure he/ she will have no problem drafting a letter stating his/her points etc. make sure you get this, make sure it goes on your file in the hospital.
    Elective sections are still viewed by some people as a lesser birth or the easy way out. It's far from it but once the baby & yourself are ok after it then that's the main thing. And that's the thing a lot of people forget. A section doesn't always need to be an emergency before it can be performed. If there is a genuine medical reason to warrant a section then I wouldn't be too inclined to go against that advice. Talk to your physio, talk to your consultant & do more research yourself. Communication & information are key to making the right decision.
    It's certainly not the big deal people make it out to be nor is it a walk in the park but a natural birth can be just as challenging as you know from previous experience.
    Either way do your best not to stress out & worry about it too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi guys thank you all for your responses and support!

I know now what I need to do! Im not supposed to be seeing any more consultants, I am in the midwives clinic and my next appointment is 3 weeks away. I guess I am just going to have to say to the midwife that I need to see a consultant. Soo nervous though, I mean what If they refuse me??

I have copies of my old maternity notes and physio notes. I am seeing the physio next week so I am going to ask her to write in my current notes or perhaps a letter.
    I might ask my GP too, even though she has mentioned it in my current notes.
    I think if I go in really informed that'll help me.. but my god I feel like its a job interview or something in terms of my nerves.

Its nice to hear from other women gives me more confidence now I just need to make sure I stay calm and dont freak out!

Thank you again :)

Advertisement