Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belkin WeMo Light Switch

Options
  • 25-09-2014 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

I am looking at upgrading my light switches to Belkin WeMo Light Switch and am wondering if they would work over here in Ireland. There is an installation video. Has anyone installed these over here or if our wiring system would be compatible with these switch.

belkin.com/us/p/P-F7C030
    youtube.com/watch?v=27GI-X-IXaQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Looks like you would need US type back boxes. Maybe they have a UK/IRL model in the works. Send them an email perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

I think the WeMo is an expensive way of going about it. Take a look at the LightWaveRF range (available online or via Maplin) for a similar solution where you can use regular light bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭weslers

Thanks for that lgk I will have a look. Have you used these yourself??

weslers wrote: »
    Thanks for that lgk I will have a look. Have you used these yourself??

Yeah, I have the WiFi link, a few of the light switches, a handheld remote, and a relay that controls the heating. They've just brought out specific boiler control (only single channel though) a thermostat and a radiator valve that will allow more complex setup for heating.

The mobile app works really well. I had a few issues with it when I got it first about a year ago, but it has been 100% reliable for a good while now since they updated it. You can set 'moods' where you can turn on, off, or dim multiple lights to a preferred level and turn on or off other devices connected to sockets or relays.

You can also log in over the web using any internet browser to control your devices.

lgk wrote: »
    Yeah, I have the WiFi link, a few of the light switches, a handheld remote, and a relay that controls the heating. They've just brought out specific boiler control (only single channel though) a thermostat and a radiator valve that will allow more complex setup for heating.

The mobile app works really well. I had a few issues with it when I got it first about a year ago, but it has been 100% reliable for a good while now since they updated it. You can set 'moods' where you can turn on, off, or dim multiple lights to a preferred level and turn on or off other devices connected to sockets or relays.

You can also log in over the web using any internet browser to control your devices.

I have Nest already installed so its more for the lighting I would be interested in. How easy (or not) is it to intsall the switches is it the same as the Wemo

• Advertisement

The switches just replace your current light switches, so it's simple. Once a light is set up to be controlled by one of these wired switches, you can add other wireless switches to control the same lights, so easy to add more control points in a large hallways/rooms for example with multiple entrances.

The switches just replace your current light switches, so it's simple. Once a light is set up to be controlled by one of these wired switches, you can add other wireless switches to control the same lights, so easy to add more control points in a large hallways/rooms for example with multiple entrances.

Thanks for that lgk I will have a look into it.

No worries, just post again if you have any other questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Have some wemo sensors and sockets.

I can use IFTTT to control / trigger events.

Makes it very powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭LeBash

Take a look at EnOcean. Theres about 200 different brands, all work together and the cost should be much lower for similar products. Theres gateways to alsorts also.

Dont look at the EnOcean site itself as they just make the communications components. The likes of Siemens, Honeywell, Eltako, will show the range. EnOcean Allicence will have a good listing of products.

• Advertisement

The EnOcean stuff actually looks a lot more expensive than the Belkin or LightwaveRF options... The MK switches are about 3 times the price of the LightwaveRF equivalents. Can you get a basic wall switch for ~€30? Cheapest on Amazon is £60.

dingding wrote: »
    Have some wemo sensors and sockets.

I can use IFTTT to control / trigger events.

Makes it very powerful.

Did you have any issues install the switches as they are made for US?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I did not use the light switches.

I used a device that plugs in a socket and you plug things into, for example lamps.

I can set the lamps to come on automatically at dusk and the time the light comes on at changes automatically.

The EnOcean stuff actually looks a lot more expensive than the Belkin or LightwaveRF options... The MK switches are about 3 times the price of the LightwaveRF equivalents. Can you get a basic wall switch for ~€30? Cheapest on Amazon is £60.

That really depends on where you a looking. A 4way switch can be got for about 20 euro.

LeBash wrote: »
    That really depends on where you a looking. A 4way switch can be got for about 20 euro.

Good value so, where?

Contact the manufacturers and ask them who the stockists are.

I have a nice set up with a central server app etc but the guys that make the product i have just launched a gsm version that will give you an app at quarter the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭gibbo_ireland

Really interested to know if the Belkin switches for the US could be made to work over here. I might be crazy, but I much prefer the US style big switch rather than our tiny light switches made for baby hands :-) Then again, everythings bigger in the US, so they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

If you simply want a large rocker switch, then there are plenty of options. like this or this.

I don't think the US Belkin switches are the way to go. In addition to the US back box they seem to be only suitable for 120V and they require a neutral at the switch, as common as hen's teeth here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭gibbo_ireland

Pricey for just switches eh? But thanks!

Good to know re the incompatibility involved in using anything designed for the US. Youd think its just a light switch so no biggie - but guess not :) Thanks!

Advertisement