Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2004 Ford Mondeo

• 25-09-2014 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Basically long story short I have just purchased a new car, and I am unsure of what to do with my old 2004 petrol Ford Mondeo. I did not trade it in or include it in the purchase of the new vehicle as I got a very good offer and did not want to complicate the offer.

It failed the NCT in this year (expired February) due to burning oil which appears to be usual with this model from that era.

It has relatively low mileage (91,000 miles) and is taxed until end of January 2015.

I know I could send it to an end of life dealer for scrapping, and claim a refund on the unused tax purchased, but I suspect it may be worth more especially to someone who can use the parts. I know the end of life dealer will cannibalise it. :)

Any suggestions on what the best option is?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Clean it up and throw on donedeal for 1000 or so, and accept 700-800. You should be able to get that kind of money for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Clean it up and throw on donedeal for 1000 or so, and accept 700-800. You should be able to get that kind of money for it.

you would have to work hard to get €800 for an 04 petrol mondeo with a new test.

stick it up for 300, take anything over 100 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Morak Thun

you would have to work hard to get €800 for an 04 petrol mondeo with a new test.

Well that would be foolish.

The tax refund for scrapping it on the tax paid until January in itself would be more that €100 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Prices seem to be around 800-1600 for the petrols from a quick search on DD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Prices seem to be around 800-1600 for the petrols from a quick search on DD.

Burning oil is most likely piston rings and would cost well over 1k to put right to pass nct probably closer to the 2k mark.

In effect the best option would be replacement engine.

The only way you get any offers would be to catch some poor sod on the hop and they be very annoyed with themselves buying a car that needs engine replaced.

Car is only fit for scrap parts or repair.

• Advertisement

I would imagine such a car in presentable condition would be gone really quickly at 800.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

It would be pretty scummy to sell it and not advertise the issue.

goz83 wrote: »
    It would be pretty scummy to sell it and not advertise the issue.

I agree with you fully. I don't think anybody implied or suggested that the car be sold without fully disclosing it's condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How much tax is left on it? There needs to be a minimum of 3 months left on it to claim it back on a car that is scrapped. This is probably your best option if there is 6 months or more of tax on it plus whatever you get in scrap value.

bazz26 wrote: »
    How much tax is left on it? There needs to be a minimum of 3 months left on it to claim it back on a car that is scrapped. This is probably your best option if there is 6 months or more of tax on it plus whatever you get in scrap value.

Taxed until the end of January 2015, so 4 months left if I dispose promptly i.e. in next week.

I don't think the end of vehicle life scrapping program gives back a scrap value. I think it is more designed as a free way to suitably dispose of vehicles and the dangerous and hazardous components / fluids the contain in an environmentally sound way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement