Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magazine Feature Article & Tasting: Honey

Options
  • 25-09-2014 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi There,

I am currently an editor for the food and drink section of a popular student magazine and I was hoping to write a feature on honey. I feel it's an area that most are unaware of regarding rogue products, how it's made and the differences. I had a honey tasting in France which really opened my eyes up to the differences in texture, colour and flavour depending on the year it was harvested or what plant/flower the pollen was obtained from.

I would love to visit a beekeeper briefly in the Dublin/Wicklow area with a photographer for some shots for the magazine and online as well as to get to know a little bit behind the product and the beekeeping practice from a first point of view. Following the print of the magazine, there will be a launch party of which each section requires an event to present, which I plan to be a honey tasting (dates and numbers TBC).

If you might be interested, please let me know via PM : it would be a great opportunity for any growing local business to showcase their work and to spread awareness of the benefits of buying local honey.

Thanks so much for your time and I hope to hear from some of you soon!

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

I think u should also try Irish beekeepers Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

I don't know what your timeline is, but the Royal County beekeepers have their annual honey show on 12th October in Navan and the County Dublin Beekeepers' Association is having their Annual Honey Show on (I think) the 8th November.

It might be easiest to get a range of Irish honeys to taste through an association. Most beekeepers would likely have 3 at most, probably fewer, different honeys available at any one time.

Also, I just think it would be good to see Irish beekeepers in general represented through this rather than an individual.

FIBKA is the Federation of Irish Beekeeping Associations... they have a person allocated as a PRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MilaMila

Philip McCabe is the FIBKA PRO. He's based in Co. Louth. You can get his email address and phone number on the FIBKA website (click on the link in brianmc's posting above). From the Home page, click on Structure from the drop-down menu under the About Us tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dsct92

Thanks a million for your help guys, going to try a few of those now!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭welsummer

November 2014
    Thursday 6th November 2014:
    “Honey Tasting Night” has now been established as an annual event.
    The format will be the same as in previous years. Each member should bring along a jar of his or her own honey or honey in the comb and there will be a discussion on the floral source, taste etc of the honey. Guests will be welcome. http://www.fingalbeekeepers.net/Events.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement