Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a DD-WRT Router

Options
  • 25-09-2014 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I would be grateful if anyone could recommend a DD-WRT Router

I need this as I am in a country where the likes of Viber are blocked.

I understand a little about what DD-WRT does in that it will enable me to use a VPN but when I was looking at routers some of them said VPN possible but with pptp and ipsec passthrough and I do not know if this means the same thing as DD-WRT.

The ones that had this pptp were Belkins ac1000 and 1200 and TP Link TD-W8968

Someone told me that Buffalo routers are the only ones that have true DD-WRT, is this true, is that what I should be looking for?

Any help, advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am well confused.

Thank you
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Their wiki has an entry for supported hardware http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Firmware_FAQ#Which_router_should_I_buy.3F And I'd assume that the hardware listed there has the best level of support. But the range of hardware supported by these is quite wide, so I'd mostly start by deciding what features you want in a router (like what level of wifi support, usb ports, things like that), and then double checking to make sure it is listed as compatible. You don't need to get a special router to use the VPN stuff, they should all support it, though if you are planning on sending a lot of traffic over the connection, and therefore encrypting it, then it might be worth spending money on the faster ones.

That being said, if you are using a viber on your PC, then you should be able to run VPN software on your PC. And I know android phones have some built in support for connecting to VPNs, and I'd be surprised if iPhones weren't the same. So possibly you could go down that route, or at least try it to see if you can connect to a VPN and if viber works well over them, before putting down any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Knasher wrote: »
    Their wiki has an entry for supported hardware http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Firmware_FAQ#Which_router_should_I_buy.3F And I'd assume that the hardware listed there has the best level of support. But the range of hardware supported by these is quite wide, so I'd mostly start by deciding what features you want in a router (like what level of wifi support, usb ports, things like that), and then double checking to make sure it is listed as compatible. You don't need to get a special router to use the VPN stuff, they should all support it, though if you are planning on sending a lot of traffic over the connection, and therefore encrypting it, then it might be worth spending money on the faster ones.

That being said, if you are using a viber on your PC, then you should be able to run VPN software on your PC. And I know android phones have some built in support for connecting to VPNs, and I'd be surprised if iPhones weren't the same. So possibly you could go down that route, or at least try it to see if you can connect to a VPN and if viber works well over them, before putting down any money.

Thanks very much for your detailed reply.

Perhaps I should have added a bit more info. I need to get a router regardless. The apartment I am in receives the internet signal and TV signal into the box in the pic attached. From this box the TV signal and the internet signal can be sent to the ports in the wall - I can choose which port receives what signal by changing the cables around. I am sorry that I am not explaining it very well but thats because I have never come across a set up like this before.

My service provider provides a stb to receive the TV signal which is sent to the stb via a LAN cable.

I have to get a router to be able to have wifi. At the moment my laptop is connected directly into one of the ports on the wall with a Lan cable.

Up to now I have been using Astrill.com to be able to get into Viber and other sites that are blocked here and yes you are right it can also be used on Android devices. But for each laptop/device I sort of need a separate account for each. But if I have a router that has DD-WRT and VPN on it, then I do not have to be messing around with passwords and logs ins for each device. They will all just be able to connect to VPN directly because the router is that way.

So I just figured that if I got a router with DD-WRT on it would save a lot of messing around.

Hope this makes sense as this all new to me and although I know some tech stuff, I certainly am no expert.

I have a lot of devices that need either a wifi connection or a Lan connection including TV, Laptop, Phones, Tablets, Android Box, NAS Drive, PS3, Tenvis CCTV Cam.

I also have one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SF1008D-100Mbps-Unmanaged-Desktop/dp/B000MGBOHA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411672350&sr=8-1&keywords=TP-Link+TL-SF1008D+8-Port+10%2F100Mbps+Unmanaged+Desktop+Switch

for extra Lan ports.

Regards

BTW thanks for the wiki that you posted, I also found this link earlier on:

http://rooftopbazaar.com/routerfirmware/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭swoofer

iba I missed with DD-WRT long time ago and Buffalo cropped up a lot. You can also use ASUS and tomato. I had a lot of links but changed pc. I gave up!!

I will have a look.

have you got this

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/dd-wrt_privacy

PS I am on a day off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Thanks Swoofer,

Yes, I read that Buffalo routers come pre-installed with it. And I came across Tomato in some reviews on Amazon, but have not read more than that.

BTW I always thought that you were retired :)

Advertisement