Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage or cash for buying a buy-to-let

Options
  • 25-09-2014 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Hi I am looking at buying a house to rent out. I am in a posistion to buy with cash but would I be better off getting a mortgage of say 30k over 5 years so I can claim tax relief on rental income against the mortgage.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Irishder wrote: »
    Hi I am looking at buying a house to rent out. I am in a posistion to buy with cash but would I be better off getting a mortgage of say 30k over 5 years so I can claim tax relief on rental income against the mortgage.

You can claim up to 75% of the mortgage interest, as an allowable expense, against rental income, before determination of taxable income.

So- sit down and do the sums.

Say it costs you 4% interest.
    3% is allowable as an expense.
    1% is not.
    What could you earn with your lumpsum elsewhere?
    If its not significantly in excess of that which is not allowable as an expense- the obvious step would be to invest it in the property (unless you had some other upcoming events that you might need the cash for, of course).

All-in-all- where normally we'd advise people to mortgage to the max, in order to max out allowable expenses- where returns are pretty awful elsewhere- you really have to sit down and count your chips. It just might be more profitable to pay in cash- but you need to sit down, equip yourself with knownledge (e.g. what a 10 year interest rate is etc, alongside what return you might get for your lumpsum by investing it elsewhere)- and plug the sums into your calculator.

Keep in mind- it may not just be a financial decision- you might have a legitimate reason for attaching a preference to going with one or the other option- other than looking at it from a cold and clinical financial perspective- you have to decide that though.........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Can you do something else with the money. Remember its only 75% of interest that is allowable against income and who knows how long that will be available for.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Why a BTL? Why not an Irish REIT if you're that confident in the Irish property market? All the benefit of a booming property sector and none of the headaches of being a amateur landlord with a single unit.

Or alternatively, investigate other investment vehicles. There's more out there than just Irish property!

Advertisement