Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9inch 110V Grinder plug question?

Options
  • 25-09-2014 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

I've just bought myself a new 9inch 110V grinder. Not for commercial use only home use but as it will get used outside in a damp shed and I have other 110V gear including a couple of transformers (3.3KV) I thought I'd get the 110V version.

So got it home and there's no plug on it. Now without saying any more I want to know how many electricians have a similar sized grinder and what rating plug is on it?

The reason for the question should soon become evident :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Go to nearest electric wholesale and ask for a yellow 110v plug.

Like this
    323306.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Doom wrote: »
    Go to nearest electric whole and ask for a yellow 110v plug.

Good answer, same answer I would have given but there's a catch and I want to see what the general practice is.

The tool shop where I bought the grinder also gave the same answer.

You're supposed to use these type for colour codes and safety.
    110v=yellow
    240v=blue
    380v= red.

You really don't want to make the mistake of pluging a 110v item into 380v

Its the only 'right' answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You could follow it to the letter and fit a 32A plug, but I would bet the vast majority of all 110v 9" grinders have a 16A plug fitted.
    GW60012.jpg

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You could follow it to the letter and fit a 32A plug, but I would bet the vast majority of all 110v 9" grinders have a 16A plug fitted.
    GW60012.jpg

That's what I wanted to hear :D

I suspected as much, grinder is rated at 19A and I wondered if a lot had 16A plugs fitted.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

CJhaughey wrote: »

Yes, every 110V grinder that I have seen has a 16A plug fitted.

A 32A plug will cause more issues than it will solve :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

my3cents wrote: »
    I've just bought myself a new 9inch 110V grinder. Not for commercial use only home use but as it will get used outside in a damp shed and I have other 110V gear including a couple of transformers (3.3KV) I thought I'd get the 110V version.

So got it home and there's no plug on it. Now without saying any more I want to know how many electricians have a similar sized grinder and what rating plug is on it?

The reason for the question should soon become evident :)

shiny new makita ? :)

~ 2000watts n a little bit = more than 16 amps

those little yellow plugs n cables are only rated to 16 amps

you need the bigger ones - rated to 32

gctest50 wrote: »
    shiny new makita ? :)

~ 2000watts n a little bit = more than 16 amps

those little yellow plugs n cables are only rated to 16 amps

you need the bigger ones - rated to 32

No just a cheap Hitachi but a very expensive diamond cutting disk.

The 32A plug is easy but then I need a site transformer with a 32A socket because the "common" two plug 3.3KVA 110V site transformers while just capable of the load only have 16A sockets.

I could of course buy a 5KVA transformer with 32A socket but they are €250 compared to €75 for "common" 3.3kV one. The 5KVA tansformers are also very heavy to move around (30kg or thereabouts).

Considering I only use a grinder for short periods outside and I am aware there is a possible problem I'll use a 16A plug and see how it goes. The cable isn't an issue as I won't be using it with a 110V extension.

• Advertisement
Advertisement