Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges Query

Options
  • 25-09-2014 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

As like most people, I am panicking about the impending water bills.

I have read the pack that came though the door, I've read through the Irish Water website as well as information on Citizens Information but none of it gives a way of calculating an estimate of what the annual charge might be.

I've one property, the family home, 4 adults. 1 employed full-time, 1 in college and 2 unemployed.

Is there any way to calculate roughly how much I'll be paying.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Have a look at this thread. Within the thread someone linked this pamphlet from Money Guide Ireland.

It's by no means accurate since not even Irish Water seem to have a clue as to what the charges will be. A bit worrying as they start billing from next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

A bit worrying as they start billing from next week!

Yes I had a look at that but the figures seem to be for properties which haven't been metered yet but mine has.

If I even knew that it was never going to be more than X figure, that would be some help. I know everyone's in the same boat but from that link it looks like a household with 4 adults such as mine is looking at an annual charge of roughly €500 but yet the government said no annual bill would exceed €278 or whatever they said.

The first bill is in January, just after Christmas, January is a horrible month at the best of times without knowing that there is a bill coming and having no idea how much it is going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Yes I had a look at that but the figures seem to be for properties which haven't been metered yet but mine has.

If I even knew that it was never going to be more than X figure, that would be some help. I know everyone's in the same boat but from that link it looks like a household with 4 adults such as mine is looking at an annual charge of roughly €500 but yet the government said no annual bill would exceed €278 or whatever they said.

The first bill is in January, just after Christmas, January is a horrible month at the best of times without knowing that there is a bill coming and having no idea how much it is going to be.

Do you honestly believe what the government says

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

Gatling wrote: »
    Do you honestly believe what the government says

I think in this instance, it was a desperate case of wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

For the first six months the bills will be capped at the assessed charge - ie the charge that houses with no meter will be given based on the number of adults/children living in the house.

If you use less, then you'll be billed less.

But they haven't yet decided what the charges will actually be, so no-one can answer your question just yet.

They say that they'll be deciding on the actual charges this week or next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

4 adults x €10 pw more or less should cover the majority of the cost ,

Buts its still all up in the air might be an idea to start watching useage op
    Put a set time on the shower use and so on,
    At least till we all know more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

The govt said the average bill would be €238 - but that includes empty houses , single people and assumes everyone uses average amounts of water.

The Moneyguide site has some figures for metered charges too Here - looks like depending on how much you use you could be looking at charges ranging from €480 to €840 for 4 adults . That would mean a first bill of at least €120 possibly as much as €210. First 2 bills will be max of €482 because first 2 are capped.

Why not check the meter reading yourself and work out your usage and compare to those figures in the link.?

Advertisement