Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC advice please

Options
  • 26-09-2014 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine wants to buy a PC or laptop. He will only use it for work purposes, to remotely access his work PC (possibly a virtual PC, I'm not sure). He wants a 2-screen setup with both screens side-by-side as opposed to a laptop screen and a monitor.

Therefore, hard disk space, ram, etc, probably isn't a big issue as everything is done remotely. I'm not sure if a graphics card would be beneficial (or essential given the need for 2 screens)?

I sort of advised him against picking up the cheapest laptop in PC world.. My mother bought a €400 laptop recently with 8GB of ram, just for the internet. It looked decent but it's a dog. So slow to start up, log in, and just sort of hangs while windows is loading, hangs every so often when using the internet. It's ridiculously slow, so I don't want my friend to have the same issues.

So.. my questions.

1. PC or laptop? He reckons PCs are cheaper and more powerful. I don't think it's the case any more and the laptop would give him a bit more flexibility.

2. any minimum specs he should consider given his needs (2 screen setup, remotely accessing work computer)

3. what's it going to cost for everything (pc/laptop, 2 screens, anything else needed)

Thanks!

Advertisement