Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 29), Sept 26-30, 2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Fagan Forrester and O Brien too.(most under contract for another season your board doesnt seem to grasp that)

What happens Luke Byrne now?

Kilduff and Finn to us is the other rumours. I will wait and see who actually signs.

Kilduff is a sulky fcuk. He can't handle any kind of rotation. You're welcome to him. Get the feeling Nutsy doesn't fancy Finn. LB has shown potential but he'd probably have to make way when an established left full comes in.

Personally think Ryan Brennan and Paddy Cregg will be really good for us given the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

anncoates wrote: »
    Kilduff is a sulky fcuk. He can't handle any kind of rotation. You're welcome to him. Get the feeling Nutsy doesn't fancy Finn. LB has shown potential but he'd probably have to make way when an established left full comes in.

Personally think Ryan Brennan and Paddy Cregg will be really good for us given the chance.

Cregg was brilliant last night, O Connor at LB stood out as decent.

Dont understand why Rovers would pay Bermo what he wants when they have Byrne, Fenlon is pretty much killing the FD side to pay Bermo. We wont match it but he is the best LB in the league by a mile.

Cregg was brilliant last night, O Connor at LB stood out as decent.

Dont understand why Rovers would pay Bermo what he wants when they have Byrne, Fenlon is pretty much killing the FD side to pay Bermo. We wont match it but he is the best LB in the league by a mile.

Cregg is a sweet player if we can hold on to him. A coup of a signing that nobody in league copped, At his age he could still head back for another year. For me DOC is going to be a really decent player for us if kept but he's primary a CH. I rate Luke long term myself but I think the pressure to get back in it might see us going for a safe option st LF like bermo

Cregg is a sweet player if we can hold on to him. A coup of a signing that nobody in league copped, At his age he could still head back for another year. For me DOC is going to be a really decent player for us if kept but he's primary a CH. I rate Luke long term myself but I think the pressure to get back in it might see us going for a safe option st LF like bermo

And your happy with this spending spree? Talking stupid amounts of money here, considering how you pissed away the Euro money can you really afford a Fenlon spree?

You just dont fcuking learn do you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

oldyouth wrote: »
    Cant argue with that assessment. For some reason we didn't play to our strengths and fed the ball in to crowded areas. Apart from the time Rovers hit the post, they were never in that game though

Very even game until the dodgy corner that gave the opening goal and the dodgy penalty decision 30 seconds before the second goal.

Furlong's spectacular open goal miss from a yard was the highlight of the rest of the game :pac:
    ...considering how you pissed away the Euro money....

:D

dfx- wrote: »

:D

you havent been in it since...............well done

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

LB has shown potential but he'd probably have to make way when an established left full comes in.

Surely that was the entire point of signing Luke Byrne, as one for the future. Unless he improved unusually quickly with training with a better squad he was never good enough as a starting lb for a team challenging for the title (which I assume is rovers ambition).

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

you havent been in it since...............well done

If Rovers got one euro for every time another club's fans claimed Rovers have wasted/pissed away/already spent etc the Euro money for a variety of reasons, we could pay both Fenlon's budget and Pats' burgeoning ex-Rovers XI all together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Good match in Inchicore on Friday night. Both teams had periods of dominance so a draw was a fair enough result. Rovers goal was a bad one to give away so early one, Ger's header was way too weak. Our goal was a good ball in from Fahey, thought Greene had blown it with a poor header but Byrne was there to tap it home. Rovers had a great chance in the last few minutes but Clarkie made a fantastic save. We also had a great chance near the end but Murphy got his fingertips to a Forrester shot.

Thought the atmosphere at it was good and that the attendence figure released of 2188 is way off. Easily more than that at it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

3 wins away from the title, 2 (If one of them wins is V Cork)

Easy win the other night, never out of 2nd gear won comfortabley, UCD never looked like scoring.

Roll on Athlone, Break is not ideal IMO at this stage but we will just get ready for Athlone. Have a friendly in Oriel during the week and 1 at weekend to keep the football fresh.

Was great scenes in Oriel last Saturday when we won the League Cup, but to win this league would be incredible. All them nights playing home games in Monaghan, away visits to Waterford, Longford, Wexford, Finn Harps (no disrespect to all them teams) will be well worth it.

Ive said it earlier in year, If I get to see Dundalk win 1 League Title (I was too young to remember for 94/95) Il die a happy chap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

It's a shame in a way that Dundalks gd is so superior as it could make the last game a dead rubber. Not that Dundalk care obviously.

Hon Athlone.

And your happy with this spending spree? Talking stupid amounts of money here, considering how you pissed away the Euro money can you really afford a Fenlon spree?

You just dont fcuking learn do you?

Getting players off the wage bill and replacing them with other players is hardly a spending spree.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Getting players off the wage bill and replacing them with other players is hardly a spending spree.

It probably will be though considering it's Fenlon. Will be interesting to see whether your board will take a sensible approach to his budget requests.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

It probably will be though considering it's Fenlon. Will be interesting to see whether your board will take a sensible approach to his budget requests.

Id imagine they will. Isnt that one of the reasons O Neill left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

dfx- wrote: »
    In a 'x days since we have had an accident on site' style...how long since Harps' last red card? They must be due one or two..
    6 weeks! Dee got himself a second yellow for timewasting in the cup down in wexford! id imagine we will be stuck in on sunday tho!

Our goals are up on the Finn Harps facebook page. Funstons 2 are worth a look. his first for Harkin's set up. lovly overhead chip. You will have to scroll down a bit
    (anyway to embed facebook videos?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

gimmick wrote: »
    It's a shame in a way that Dundalks gd is so superior as it could make the last game a dead rubber. Not that Dundalk care obviously.

Hon Athlone.

It's a shame that Cork's is so low. You have the players to play a decent brand of attacking football but don't so will be just deserts if the last game is a dead rubber.
    I'd hate to see a team play such a rubbish style of football and win the league. Sligo and Pats really set the ball in motion in recent seasons, that decent football can bring success and would hate to see that undone by clubs reverting to caveman football. If sure Cork fans won't give two craps and rightly so if they are lifting the trophy on October 24th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

doncarlos wrote: »
    It's a shame that Cork's is so low. You have the players to play a decent brand of attacking football but don't so will be just deserts if the last game is a dead rubber.
    I'd hate to see a team play such a rubbish style of football and win the league. Sligo and Pats really set the ball in motion in recent seasons, that decent football can bring success and would hate to see that undone by clubs reverting to caveman football. If sure Cork fans won't give two craps and rightly so if they are lifting the trophy on October 24th

Dont worry, this has been noted by most City fans and if it wasnt for our league position, there'd be serious rumblings down here about our 'brand' of football.

But as you say, I won't care if its us lifting that trophy at the end of October, whoever finishes top after 33 games deserves to be champions no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cork would be worst team ever to win the league if they did, not that I would care.

Dundalk pretty much have it wrapped up, but you never know I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Cork would be worst team ever to win the league if they did, not that I would care.

Our 1995 side was shocking. Have no idea how we won the league that year. Cork are a very good side, their results and position are testament to this but they play a horrible brand of football. If Caulfield lets them loose next season and makes a couple of decent signings they'll have a great chance of winning the league.

I don't think we are close to wrapping it up yet although we are hot favorites. Our performances haven't been great recently and some of the players are looking tired. The two weeks rest we have since last game will help with the run-in. Athlone are on a great run recently so will be hard to beat and then Rovers at home will also be a tricky game. Still plenty of potential for slipping up before the last game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

doncarlos wrote: »
    I don't think we are close to wrapping it up yet although we are hot favorites. Our performances haven't been great recently and some of the players are looking tired. The two weeks rest we have since last game will help with the run-in. Athlone are on a great run recently so will be hard to beat and then Rovers at home will also be a tricky game. Still plenty of potential for slipping up before the last game.
    Think the players would have preferred to be playing this Friday rather than playing three games in a week. (10th, 13th and 17th including two away games).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Worst ever is a bit much. Style of football and the actual quality of the individual players is different. Gearoid and Healy are the best centre midfield we've had in years. Dan and Dennehy have been mostly solid, bar a few off nights. Lenihan was the best young player in years also. McNulty has had probably his best season of his career.

The football isn't pretty at times, and I've been critical of the style as much as anyone, but bad teams never win leagues or get very close to doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

I've lost count of the amount of title-winners have been called the "worst ever" in this league. In fact, Pats last year are probably the only ones in a decade I can't remember being called the worst ever champions.

I really cannot see what anyone sees in Healy. He is a passenger all season long. no. Since we signed him. Aside from Dennehy he is our most under performing regular starter.

I really cannot see what anyone sees in Healy. He is a passenger all season long. no. Since we signed him. Aside from Dennehy he is our most under performing regular starter.

The first half of this season he was really good, he was doing the things he should have been doing all along with his experience. The rest I would agree with you though, he hasn't had enough great games like he really should be doing, however I think him and Gearoid compliment each other very well.

You don't seem to like anyone that's ever played for City though in fairness either :pac:

I think Morrisey actually covers him rather than compliments him tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Just a reminder to anyone who may have forgotten or not been made aware, the fixture between St Patrick's Athletic and Bohemians at Richmond Park has been pushed forward to tomorrow, Tuesday 30th September @ 7:45 to accommodate the Saints' Cup Semi Final.

God knows what team Wexford are gonna get from us tomorrow. Our u19s are struggling to field with injuries as it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

overshoot wrote: »
    God knows what team Wexford are gonna get from us tomorrow. Our u19s are struggling to field with injuries as it is!

Had suspected as much :o

I think Morrisey actually covers him rather than compliments him tbh.

Id partly agree with that. Gearoid covers ground like few others ive seen play for City.

Had suspected as much :o
    supposedly a squad of 14 going down with 4/5 u19s. between work, a few injuries and yellow cards adding up a lot ruled out to start with before you consider protecting players.
    given we have had to field at least 6 16year olds in our u19 matches to date.. make of that what you will.

Nothing like a 10hr trip to prepare you for a semi! Still nice to have the problem!

The Donegal League hasnt called their games of for sunday either... did for the GAA semi. Got to love the supportive football network we have in this country!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

overshoot wrote: »
    supposedly a squad of 14 going down with 4/5 u19s. between work, a few injuries and yellow cards adding up a lot ruled out to start with before you consider protecting players.

Once we get to see Oliie bursting a gut ranting at the officials, we'll be happy:D

Fully appreciate that it is a nothing game for Harps, but it could be decisive on deciding the playoff spots

Best of luck in the Cup

Youths are giving all fans at tonight's match a free programming as a thank you gesture. Really nice touch I think

oldyouth wrote: »
    Once we get to see Oliie bursting a gut ranting at the officials, we'll be happy:D

Fully appreciate that it is a nothing game for Harps, but it could be decisive on deciding the playoff spots

Best of luck in the Cup
    hes toned it down slightly... still good for a shout!

could be, 2 tough games for galway. they can blame the FAI for this though! should say that team isnt confirmed but id expected it to be pretty weak anyway.

cheers! give it our best anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Bray 1-0 up at half time, while UCD are 2-0 down. Hopefully hold on now!

Bray miss a penalty now to go 2-1 up :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Mushy wrote: »
    Bray miss a penalty now to go 2-1 up :(
    Barring a recovery by Athlone, you'll stay up now. Not a hope of us recovering at this stage. Nearly 3 months since we won a game. Whoever wins the first division playoff will be praying we hang onto second last as it'll mean guaranteed promotion.

But sure who knows what's happening with the first division next season.

Barring a recovery by Athlone, you'll stay up now. Not a hope of us recovering at this stage. Nearly 3 months since we won a game. Whoever wins the first division playoff will be praying we hang onto second last as it'll mean guaranteed promotion.

But sure who knows what's happening with the first division next season.

Maybe you'll pull a Bray!

Finn Harps started very well against us, but then their heads dropped when we were gifted a penalty. Harps missed two near open goals in the second half, but their confidence was completely shot. We also hit the post twice. Danny Furlong the new top scorer in the division

• Advertisement

With respect to Harps, it looks like a win against Derry on Sunday is the only realistic chance of Europe for us.

UCD were very poor last night. In the last few years, they've always caused us problems in Tallaght but they looked like they'd given up already last night.

UCD keeper did very well keeping the score down other than 10 minutes spell before halftime when UCD went two upfront and hit the post.

Great to see Cian Kavanagh make the step up too, well deserved.

With respect to Harps, it looks like a win against Derry on Sunday is the only realistic chance of Europe for us.

UCD were very poor last night. In the last few years, they've always caused us problems in Tallaght but they looked like they'd given up already last night.
    say derry lost to pats in the final, doesnt the place go to 4th in the league rather than runner up?

Handy enough win last night, Bohs started well and Hyland should have scored but didnt and we coasted it from then on. Fahey Forrester and Byrne were impressive as usual, Byrne has 20 goals this season :eek:

Bohs fans took the Shed and sang "we are the SEI" :D

When it started to rain, was quite funny tbh :D

10413363_785123814860407_455934855078914099_n.jpg?oh=c703fee919f1e5a8446ffc7155b024e2&oe=54BCA74F&__gda__=1422084750_81f33d1a352c60c138a46c8a793e4c57

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ah yeah was a bit of fun. Thought Bohs were decent in the first half but if you don't take your chances against this Pats team you'll be punished. Paltry crowd from us on Tuesday. Likely a combination of it being basically a dead rubber, p1ssy weather, Champions League and that M50 blockage. Didn't think much of Kenny Browne tbh dreamers, what's your take on him? Forrester is savage btw.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ah yeah was a bit of fun. Thought Bohs were decent in the first half but if you don't take your chances against this Pats team you'll be punished. Paltry crowd from us on Tuesday. Likely a combination of it being basically a dead rubber, p1ssy weather, Champions League and that M50 blockage. Didn't think much of Kenny Browne tbh dreamers, what's your take on him? Forrester is savage btw.

Afaik Delaney and Mulcahy didnt play because of traffic, Quigley for us.

Browne is perfect for us, can bring the ball out and makes decent tackles, not very good in the air tho needs Hoare beside him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Afaik Delaney and Mulcahy didnt play because of traffic, Quigley for us.

Browne is perfect for us, can bring the ball out and makes decent tackles, not very good in the air tho needs Hoare beside him.

Drimnagh to Inchicore via the M50..... what route was Delaney going! :D

Delaney and Mulcahy were named on the Bench?

10624775_10154606445760702_8965155877586054959_n.jpg?oh=830f43aa73e9b00aa3edbd25e0d196c6&oe=54C6B47D&__gda__=1422510888_094699a4d2bf6e67c382451b6b00e5a1

Mulcahy was in Directors box at 7:40 onwards

Fair enough, wasn't at the game myself

Was wondering why only a couple of players warmed up for bohs at HT, didnt notice a keeper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement