Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi A3 and aftermarket headunit

• 26-09-2014 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭

Posted this over on audisport but haven't heard anything back so said I'd ask a slightly more active forum hoping I can get an answer.
    Anyway, copypasta below:

So, trying to sort a better headunit in the A3 than the ****ty JVC one that was in it when I got it.
    Managed to get my Sony one working eventually after much arsing about with the wiring loom from halfords.
    However, only one front speaker works.

I had sent the below pic to the lads in caraudiodirect and they sent me THIS adapter, as you can see though, it has one more plug than I have.

Also, I checked in the boot and there's no amp or sub.
    The fella before me had fitted 6x9's to the parcel shelf and butchered the old radio's harness to wire them in. Would it be possible that he disconnected the original wiring to the stock rear speakers or are they not working because the sub and amp are missing?

Also, from my pic, is that a non Bose or Bose set up?

WP_20140908_16_15_16_Pro1.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

If there are no other plugs than the two shown in the photo then it's not a Bose amplified or part-amplified system.

The brown coloured plug is your speaker plug, and it looks like it's only wired originally for front speakers. My guess would be the car was only fitted (& wired) with 2 front speakers when it was new, you may have space in the rear for speakers but I'd say that there's nothing actually behind the grille.

When you were using the JVC headunit were both front speakers working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Interesting.. I may pull it apart to see when I'm off next week so.

Drivers one was working sometimes, to be honest I didn't actually notice it until it started working one day and the sound got much better, the passenger one was doing a decent job on it's own.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Ok, so your drivers side speaker may be on the way out or it might be shorting somewhere. Remove the speaker and make sure the wiring & terminals on the speaker are ok. Try turning the radio on while the speaker is removed but still wired. If it works properly & is not cutting in & out your speaker cable might be just touching the metal of the car body somewhere.

About the back speakers, don't pull anything apart. Get a torch and shine it through the speaker grille. You should be able to see a speaker if you have one. If there are holes left by the 6x9's just buy a set & wire them up instead.

Yeh I figured the drivers side one was either gone or is going.

6x9's are still in the parcel shelf but are hella chav so would prefer them not to be there. Plus the parcel shelf won't lift with them in it, which is a bit annoying.

I''ll see if there's anything showing when I shine the torch through later on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I have a TT with the Bose system. I changed the head unit and it was a pain, had to get several special adaptors which barely fit as there is no space in the back. However the rear speakers do not work. I need to get it sorted. There is an amp but its totally hidden. I got all the advice I needed on the TT forums, maybe you could try Audi forums and the guys can give you first hand advice?

• Advertisement

I had put this up on Audi-Sport initially but didn't get any replies, hence trying here.
    Might have a look at another few Audi forums later after I check for back speakers like Therapyboy suggested

Advertisement