Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda checkpoint at the Quays

Options
  • 26-09-2014 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Just a friendly warning to motorists to check their Tax, Insurance and NCT discs. Recently with nothing else to do I watched a checkpoint operated by a single Garda and in an hour or so 4 cars were seizedand taken away in a tow truck. It was a salutary warning to me and on checking the law I see this can be done if you do not display a current Insurance or NCT disc or in the case of Motor tax if it is more than 2 months out of date.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Fair play to them for making the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

seems to be a large increase in checkpoints of late. I actually think given the location of some of the ones I saw on a Sunday morning that they were put in place as a smokescreen while actually looking to stop some people in particular.

example: Checkpoint on the Model Farm road on a Sunday morning, that road is very quiet on a Sunday, if they wanted to check as many cars as possible for Tax & Insurance they could find better roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

Yeah l know a fellow within the last 6 Months who had an old banger not taxed, probably worth about €500, but it was still going. They stopped it, there was no motor tax and they took it. There and then, no messing about.

That was ok but his wife was driving the car on her own at the time and she was miles from home. He was working so she ended up having to get a taxi home which cost a fair bit and l'd say he got some bollocking. l think he had to pay up the motor tax to get the car back, not sure what he did.

A lot of people say sure my car is a banger whats the worse that can happen, well now the answer is they'll take your car !! and banger or not it's very inconvenient to have no car overnight. Last l heard the wife had to drop him to work and pick him up every Day as the second car was gone. l'd say the first few weeks of that process were great crack for him :-)

They're really after clamping down in the last 3/4 Years, going towards the UK model of zero tolerance.

They also have social services with them now sometimes, l know a fellow who does a desk job and has to wear a suit but is a carpenter by trade and drives a transit. They stopped him lately and he got some grilling. Where was he working, basically what they was asking him in a round about way was "whats with the suit and the transit ?", whats going on there basically ? has he 2 incomes and is he declaring them both ? and also they're checking there and than are you working but claiming the dole. So say you're driving a brand new car but you're drawing the dole. Therefore, they'll cut off your dole but they'll also advise the Revenue who will start looking into you for undeclared taxes.

I know another fellow who is a builder by trade and he's a tough fellow, l wouldn't mess with him, but one time he had a Revenue audit and they decided he had undeclared income and they hammered him with interest and charges and the audit went on for 6 Months and basically it got to the stage where he couldn't do his Day job trying to deal with the audit. He reckoned he got stung for 2/3 times was he had undeclared when the down time for non earning Days was built in. Not to mention the stress of it. l can tell you by the end of it he was a very sorry boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Jeju

clerk wrote: »
    Yeah l know a fellow within the last 6 Months who had an old banger not taxed, probably worth about €500, but it was still going. They stopped it, there was no motor tax and they took it. There and then, no messing about.

That was ok but his wife was driving the car on her own at the time and she was miles from home. He was working so she ended up having to get a taxi home which cost a fair bit and l'd say he got some bollocking. l think he had to pay up the motor tax to get the car back, not sure what he did.

A lot of people say sure my car is a banger whats the worse that can happen, well now the answer is they'll take your car !! and banger or not it's very inconvenient to have no car overnight. Last l heard the wife had to drop him to work and pick him up every Day as the second car was gone. l'd say the first few weeks of that process were great crack for him :-)

They're really after clamping down in the last 3/4 Years, going towards the UK model of zero tolerance.

They also have social services with them now sometimes, l know a fellow who does a desk job and has to wear a suit but is a carpenter by trade and drives a transit. They stopped him lately and he got some grilling. Where was he working, basically what they was asking him in a round about way was "whats with the suit and the transit ?", whats going on there basically ? has he 2 incomes and is he declaring them both ? and also they're checking there and than are you working but claiming the dole. So say you're driving a brand new car but you're drawing the dole. Therefore, they'll cut off your dole but they'll also advise the Revenue who will start looking into you for undeclared taxes.

I know another fellow who is a builder by trade and he's a tough fellow, l wouldn't mess with him, but one time he had a Revenue audit and they decided he had undeclared income and they hammered him with interest and charges and the audit went on for 6 Months and basically it got to the stage where he couldn't do his Day job trying to deal with the audit. He reckoned he got stung for 2/3 times was he had undeclared when the down time for non earning Days was built in. Not to mention the stress of it. l can tell you by the end of it he was a very sorry boy.
    I know a person who has their NCT, tax AND insurance all up to date, all their income declared and drives straight through any checkpoint with a friendly nod of the head and no messing at all or time wasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Jeju wrote: »
    I know a person who has their NCT, tax AND insurance all up to date, all their income declared and drives straight through any checkpoint with a friendly nod of the head and no messing at all or time wasting.

That'll be me! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

54kroc wrote: »
    Fair play to them for making the effort.

Ya they check this while they leave the drug dealers and scumbags around the city to do what they want-feck all guards in the city again last night

• Registered Users Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sounds like a total waste of garda resources to me. Policing the streets would be a better idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

You should see the new road near apple computer, checkpoints 7 days a week usually the same old cranky guy, I think he just gets board of policing a construction site hence the checkpoints

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

rob316 wrote: »
    Sounds like a total waste of garda resources to me. Policing the streets would be a better idea.

There is no money to be made in policing the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Yesterday on the macroom rd there was a traffic corps car pulled out from an entrance on the other side of the road in front of me so i had to break. He then put on the lights and overtook a few cars to stop a guy. Half a mile past where he was pulled in was the speed van, also checking for speed.
    Great way to spend tax payers money, 2 speed checks on a road half a mile apart.
    Can that guy get done twice if he was caught by the cops and the van?

• Advertisement

.red. wrote: »
    Yesterday on the macroom rd there was a traffic corps car pulled out from an entrance on the other side of the road in front of me so i had to break. He then put on the lights and overtook a few cars to stop a guy. Half a mile past where he was pulled in was the speed van, also checking for speed.
    Great way to spend tax payers money, 2 speed checks on a road half a mile apart.
    Can that guy get done twice if he was caught by the cops and the van?
    the answer sadly is yes he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,031 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

LOL I was waiting for the barrage of "Why aren't they catching real criminals?" posts. I knew I wouldn't be disappointed.

Personally, I'm glad people without tax and insurance are being caught. Who wants to be in an accident with an uninsured driver?
    Regarding taxes, generally, when people evade tax, those of us who are tax compliant have to pay more. I pay my motor tax. I hate to see others getting away with evading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I never understood posts like this.

If your car is fully up to date you have no reason to worry about checkpoints.

It's only the low lifes that have no tax / insurance / nct warning the other bottom feeders to look out for the gardai " who have nothing better to do "

Pay your way for God's sake. If you can't afford to tax / insure your car then get the bus or walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    You should see the new road near apple computer, checkpoints 7 days a week usually the same old cranky guy, I think he just gets board of policing a construction site hence the checkpoints

Yes, was wondering about that, nice waste of resources - a full time garda on a building site that just happens to be across from a halting site...surprised Apple havent been able to get that halting site moved ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yes, was wondering about that, nice waste of resources - a full time garda on a building site that just happens to be across from a halting site...surprised Apple havent been able to get that halting site moved ....

Apple support that site through their charity initiatives.

Apple actually own the current site,hence the new one is being built so apple can most likely convert that to a car park also,was stopped by that garda sgt twice,one in a van,he is a right oddball who suffers from boredom,why the cop is there in the first place god only knows,i know its a halting site but a private security company can do the same job

Advertisement