Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Human Race Limerick 5th October

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Erasured

Anyone from limerick ac wish to comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Spirogyra wrote: »
    I fear that corners are being cut for Womens Mini Marathon too. No baggage area, so people being expected to run with their car keys, if they have cars. People being given different numbers to those on their entrance receipts.

Was a baggage area drop off advertised ? It would be unusual in a race of this size and distance to have a designated bag drop off.

Same in Dublin this year. You got your number allocated when you arrive at race registration. Cost of chip bibs is approx €2 so that way organizer doesn't have to print/use bibs for people who register and don't show on the day.

I would be more interested to hear was the course the correct distance, what was the standard of Marshaling and safety on the route, was there correct and correlated results published.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

actually on the day I think it was an enjoyable enough event. We were actually allowed to use swimmers lockers at the UL arena, so it worked out ok on the day. I didn't use a pedometer but the route seemed more varied than 2 years ago when I last did it. I had a reasonable enough time.

Spectators seemed well down on what I remember,especially outside UL, was it the fact that it was 2 weeks later? chip time sent to my phone was 27 seconds faster than official time on results sheet, I know I'm not alone in this respect. But no I wouldn't compare it with the Human Race, it was considerably better.

Men are now unclassified , which is a change on before too. A number of men did run and not all in drag either,don't appear in results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

This race has gone beyond a joke! It's Wednesday and still no official results. False advertising on chip timing and isotonic drinks, a goody bag with just a tech shirt in it and nothing else. Critical comments being deleted and not faced by the organisers.

I am not one to usually complain about races unless I have been sent 5 miles the wrong way but this event was a complete joke. A website that was never updated from 2013 and an astronomic entry fee for what you get. I believe there is definitely a case for a full refund for this event for false advertising. I won't go down that road but I will not be running it next year if it's still on(unlikely) and will advise all of my clubmates to avoid it. Everything for runners was skimped on to further line the pockets of the RD.

I will happily drive to Athlone for the 3/4 marathon which gets excellent reviews. Also, if you want to make your feelings known, rate the event on the Facebook page.

No Club athletes really should be supporting non licenced events, heard some bad reports alright dont imagine it will be going ahead next year without more club support

and will the GLR be licenced next year ? heard ,possibly incorrectly, that it probably won't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

a distinct possibility if local club support is thin on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

and will the GLR be licenced next year ? heard ,possibly incorrectly, that it probably won't?
    BobMc wrote: »

Can the AAI prevent a race from going ahead without a Permit/License ? No

Is there any benefit to the RD to have a permit ? Yes but its minimal.

GLR main market is the back of the field fun runners walkers in the 6 mile race. 80% of its participants don't know or care about a permit, once they get there medal, tee-shirt and feel they achieved something on the day they are happy out. The RD is filling a gap in the market that local Athletics club's have sadly failed to provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

BobMc wrote: »

If the course is officially measured surely that stays in place each year and only has to be updated if the route changes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

AKW wrote: »
    If the course is officially measured surely that stays in place each year and only has to be updated if the route changes?

Nope, you need to reapply for a permit every year even if the route is the same. An AAI permit has to meet a lot of other regulations outside of the route to be granted. Number of Gardai, stewards, EMP's and Athletic club support is needed for AAI permission. There cannot be another AAI permitted race within 50 miles of the event on the same day.

The AAI permit is a set standard for races in Ireland. IMHO, all road race organisers should give back to the athletics community but that doesn't happen like the RD of the Human Race has shown. He obviously wants to keep all of the profit he reaps from athletics and not give back as was made plainly obvious this year with the fallout of Dooneen AC. He's using the athletics community to line his own pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Need a new measure cert every 5 yrs....unless there is a change in route

• Advertisement

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Need a new measure cert every 5 yrs....unless there is a change in route

A new measure cert every 5 years but isn't an application for a permit needed every year through the County board?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

A new measure cert every 5 years but isn't an application for a permit needed every year through the County board?

Ah think I understand now.

Once measure certed a race can go ahead on the same 'measured' official course AAI certified but this does not necessarily mean the event is AAI permitted each year or sanctioned by AAI.

Ah think I understand now.

Once measure certed a race can go ahead on the same 'measured' official course AAI certified but this does not necessarily mean the event is AAI permitted each year or sanctioned by AAI.

You're on the ball AKW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

And a permit every year signed by the county board with the appropriate fee

As alluded to the carnival side of the mini marathon seemed a lot more subdued, I remember large crowds on the roads cheering mothers and a few fathers on, very , very few this time, especially away from the UL arena? was it to do with the weekend? dublin marathon and 2 weeks later? bank holiday? wasn't the greatest of days? was that the reason? but the numbers were healthy enough, I think around 2150, plus men, some in drag, some not, who were not classified, for some reason, so don't know how many of them there was.

Ok understand the scenario with the GLR now. I agree that it's main market seems to be the 6 milers.

Advertisement