Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wafcol dog food

• 26-09-2014 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

In pet mania nw and he is recomending this food, it has no cereal in it . Does any1 know anything about it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

I decided to get it, very expensive . Hope it suits him

http://www.wafcol.co.uk/wafcol-puppy-dog-food-range.php

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Salmon (24%), Salmon Meal (23%), Potato (15%), Potato Starch (12.5%), Whole Lupins, Salmon Oil, Sunflower Oil, Seaweed (2.7%), Salmon Digest, Minerals, Vitamins, Mannan-Oligosaccharides (2150mg/kg), Fructo-Oligosaccharides (2150mg/kg), Glucosamine (340mg/kg), Methylsulfonylmethane (340mg/kg), Chondroitin (240mg/kg)
    Bit high on the potato (potato + potato starch) but it's definitely not a bad choice as far as I can see.

Nody wrote: »
    Bit high on the potato (potato + potato starch) but it's definitely not a bad choice as far as I can see.

Its potato and salmon , they had chicken aswel but only for adult . Hope it helps his poops now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I tried this for my chap few years back, the ingredients looked ok (my dog doesn't do great on high meat content strangely) but he wouldn't eat it!
    It is expensive enough for what's in it, hope it suits him, there's a few other grain free options like burns pork and potato, but not sure if they do a puppy one.
    If he's still pooping sloppy poops, try adding a little boiled white rice, just a table spoon, it can help firm things up.
    Try to avoid giving too much food at once, that can also be a problem.

Before anyone says it, i know i have already been told that they are ok for my pup BUT i just picked them up today and they are all hard looking blood where they were cut and kind of can see guts etc. Is that normal?

Mod note: threads by same OP about food issues with same dog merged.
    OP, please keep all enquiries about what to feed your dog to this one thread from now on.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes but always keep an eye on your pup when it's eating it (to avoid he runs away with it or chokes).

Yes but always keep an eye on your pup when it's eating it (to avoid he runs away with it or chokes).

Ok will do

thanks for reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If it's his first time eating them you can hold one end so he has to chew it and doesn't just gulp it down. The bones are much softer than you think - you'll get a surprise when he chomps it down in no time!! :p

Thanks tk123, i will defo hold it , knowin him it would be gone in a few seconds lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Thanks tk123, i will defo hold it , knowin him it would be gone in a few seconds lol

I have an absolute gulper of food (second dog) when it comes to kibble... But, we chose to feed him raw (like his brother) from an early age.

His first raw meal, chicken wings and legs - he just seemed to 'know' what to do instinctively. No gulping, no rushing...

He took his time, carefully munching and breaking the bones and then frightened the life out of me by swallowing it all in one, mashed up piece...

It's amazing what a dog can swallow whole, with relevant ease.

• Advertisement

Gave him the leg anyway at 7 and he stil didnt finish it, left him for a min. came bak and there was vomit on ground. Maybe it was too much for him or just doesnt agree with him?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Personally, I wouldn't feed a chicken leg to a pup of his age. Too much too soon.
    I'd be more inclined to give him chicken wings that have been cut into bite-sized chunks, starting with a couple of chunks and building up to a few more as time goes on.
    It takes time for a pup, or adult dog, to build up the chemicals and microflora they need to cope with a change in diet, or to things that are harder to digest (such as bones). Giving a young pup a full leg at this stage was almost bound to cause problems, not only due to lack of digestive preparedness, but at what? 4-5 months old, he hasn't got his adult teeth yet, and should not be considered capable of breaking up bones with his puppy teeth.

Maybe i will get chicken wings so, or would i be better off just feedin him nuts. Its just the nuts cost 66euro and i trying to make them last as i cant afford to be buying them every 2 or 3 weeks. But il chance the wings cut up small and hopefuly he be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

How big is the bag of kibble, is it 15kg?

muddypaws wrote: »
    How big is the bag of kibble, is it 15kg?

Ya its a 15kg bag

Maybe i will get chicken wings so, or would i be better off just feedin him nuts. Its just the nuts cost 66euro and i trying to make them last as i cant afford to be buying them every 2 or 3 weeks. But il chance the wings cut up small and hopefuly he be fine
    15 kg in 2 weeks is a kilo of kibble a day! Even at 20kg the pup should be eating around 400g of ToTW which would last around 40 days.

Ya its a 15kg bag

How much are you actually feeding each day? I did a trial with one of my dogs on a particular food, on the advise of the manufacturer, I only fed one dog on it, to see how he got on, he weighs 28kg, the bag lasted him 2 months.

Are you weighing the food each day?

15 kg in 2 weeks is a kilo of kibble a day! Even at 20kg the pup should be eating around 400g of ToTW which would last around 40 days.

He gets give or take 600g a day . Thats what i was told to give him in the petshop where i buy the food. He gave me a measure thing.

How much are you actually feeding each day? I did a trial with one of my dogs on a particular food, on the advise of the manufacturer, I only fed one dog on it, to see how he got on, he weighs 28kg, the bag lasted him 2 months.

Are you weighing the food each day?

I got a plastic cup which is approx 200g when full, he gets that 3 times a day

That is an awful lot of food each day. The whole point of higher quality food is that you feed less of it, does it not say on the bag how much you should be feeding? If you overfeed a large or giant breed, they can grow too quickly which can cause problems with their bones. Is it Taste of the Wild you're feeding?

• Advertisement

That is an awful lot of food each day. The whole point of higher quality food is that you feed less of it, does it not say on the bag how much you should be feeding? If you overfeed a large or giant breed, they can grow too quickly which can cause problems with their bones. Is it Taste of the Wild you're feeding?

Are u serious? Why he tel me that so the idiot? No its wafcol , i got that because it had no cereal etc to help with his poop

Are u serious? Why he tel me that so the idiot? No its wafcol , i got that because it had no cereal etc to help with his poop

I've just checked, and yep, you're feeding the right amount for that food, personally I think that's a lot, and if you have to feed that much, I'd ask why. I just had a quick look at a couple of websites, you would feed approximately half of that if feeding Royal Canin Maxi Junior, or Taste of The Wild Large Puppy.

How much is taste of the wild for big bag do you know? The only prob is ordering it online tho

There is 2 totw puppy foods on zooplus

High prarie and pacific stream and it says nothing about large or medium etc

There is 2 totw puppy foods on zooplus

High prarie and pacific stream and it says nothing about large or medium etc
    ToTW has a puppy age + puppy weight combination to get the appropriate amount.

ToTW has a puppy age + puppy weight combination to get the appropriate amount.

Ok thanks . Im going to order it tomoro

What are the ingredient like in this food does any1 know? Like cereals etc.

Im either getting this or totw .

Its cheaper but is it as good?

Mod note: thread merged with another recent food thread started by the OP.
    Rottie11, please keep all enquiries about food for your pup to this one thread now.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Ground dried Black Angus meat (20.2%), ground brown wholegrain rice, ground dried duck meat (9.1%), ground wholegrain corn, ground dried herring (5.6%), ground millet, ground amaranth, fresh green herbs, linseed, dried algae mix, herring oil, cold pressed vegetable oil mix, beet pulp, gelatine, dry peat (2%), dried ground yucca schidigera, fennel seeds, dried blueberries, powdered egg yolk, siliceous earth (1.5%), muscle meat extract from green-lipped mussels (1.5%), green mineral soil (1.5%), sea mollusc protein from green-lipped mussels (1%).Additives:Vitamin A (12,000 IE/kg), vitamin D3 (1200 IE/kg), vitamin E (240 mg/kg), vitamin B1 [thiamine mononitrat] (4.2 mg/kg), vitamin B2 [riboflavin] (8.4 mg/kg), vitamin B6 [pyridoxine hydrochloride] (5 mg/kg), vitamin B12 (50 µg/kg), biotin (250 µg/kg), folic acid (0.42 mg/kg), niacin (25 mg/kg), vitamin C [L-ascorbic acid] (170 mg/kg), pantothenic acid [calcium-D-pantothenate] (9.6 mg/kg), choline chloride (1500 mg/kg), manganese (58 mg/kg), copper (12 mg/kg), zinc (144 mg/kg), iron (240 mg/kg).

Its cheaper but is it as good?
    Compared to what? Aldi? Yes. Taste of the Wild? No. Compared to the popular brands? Equal or better or in some cases slightly worse depending on brand.

And finally which Markus Muhle? Black Angus has no cereals but cost a bit more (about a eur / kilo); NaturNah has it but relatively little maize (rice is okish).
    Ground dried Black Angus meat (17.3%), ground brown wholegrain rice, ground dried duck meat (9.7%), ground dried herring (6.6%), ground millet, ground amaranth, fresh green herbs, linseed, algae mix, herring oil, cold pressed vegetable oil mix, beet pulp, gelatine, dry peat (2%), dried ground yucca schidigera, milk thistle seeds, fennel seeds, dried blueberries, powdered egg yolk, siliceous earth (1.5%), muscle meat extract from green-lipped mussels (1.5%), sea mollusc protein from green-lipped mussels (1%), green mineral soil.
    NaturNah wrote:
    28% dried poultry meal, thermally treated whole grain rice, thermally treated whole grain maize, 8% game tripe meal, rice germs, Jerusalem artichoke meal, 5% sea fish meal, dried beetroot meal, cold pressed linseed oil, cold pressed rapeseed oil, 2% egg yolk, dried peat, fruit powder (combination of carobs, pineapples, papayas, bananas, acerola cherries, apples, pears, blueberries, mangos, raspberries), dried herb mixture, salmon oil, algae meal, dried Mojave yucca

• Advertisement

Compared to what? Aldi? Yes. Taste of the Wild? No. Compared to the popular brands? Equal or better or in some cases slightly worse depending on brand.

And finally which Markus Muhle? Black Angus has no cereals but cost a bit more (about a eur / kilo); NaturNah has it but relatively little maize (rice is okish).

Thanks i ordered the black angus just now 53.99.

Will see what he is like on it , hopefuly this my last time changing his food

Advertisement