Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deadlift feedback and advice

Options
  • 26-09-2014 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭

Have eased off on lifting for the past 3 months unfortunately due to a rotator cuff injury (minor strain or tendinitis of supraspinatus). I am avoiding all pushing exercises and concentrating on mostly pulling stuff along with rehab exercises provided by physiotherapist. Have started deadlifting again and strength is well down from before, not surprisingly, so I am looking for advice on technique and how to increase the weight. I weigh 81.5kg and don't normally use a belt but I have been getting a little back pain with the heavier lifts since starting again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx4v6B3-E8U&list=UUj2q-xNrbuQi5_gVQ1_aPNQ&index=1

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Couldn't be further from an expert here, but ...

You could probably do with pulling your hips down lower. Your hips and shoulders are essentially at the same height when you begin to pull. Keeping your shoulders "above" your hips (i.e. your hips lower) would probably help.

gvn wrote: »
    Couldn't be further from an expert here, but ...

You could probably do with pulling your hips down lower. Your hips and shoulders are essentially at the same height when you begin to pull. Keeping your shoulders "above" your hips (i.e. your hips lower) would probably help.

Yes your right, I noticed that after watching the video too. Thanks.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Nice man shed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Can't really see but it looks like the bars a bit to far away from you, I'd ideally like to be sitting back in to it more, but that's just me perhaps. I imagine that's why your back is hurting more, there's more shear force on your spine (Imagine a crane at 45 degrees or whatever, holding a pallet of blocks, although the angle is constant the further the pallet moves away from the base of the crane the more strain on it). You can see it on the eccentric portion of the lift, you should be sitting back (pushing your hips behind you) on the way down, you'll notice you have to swing the bar in front of you to clear your knees. I think glutes might be an issue with you? You should engage them at the top of the lift for lockout, not using your glutes puts your lower back under more pressure.

And by the way, your getting this from a man resting a facet joint strain.

• Advertisement

Ps, not a bad lift!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Pretty sure you are performing a deficit deadlift here since those tri grip plates are smaller than regular plates . Could explain why your hips and shoulders are close in height. A proper plate is 450mm in diameter. check yours.

Can't really see but it looks like the bars a bit to far away from you, I'd ideally like to be sitting back in to it more, but that's just me perhaps. I imagine that's why your back is hurting more, there's more shear force on your spine (Imagine a crane at 45 degrees or whatever, holding a pallet of blocks, although the angle is constant the further the pallet moves away from the base of the crane the more strain on it). You can see it on the eccentric portion of the lift, you should be sitting back (pushing your hips behind you) on the way down, you'll notice you have to swing the bar in front of you to clear your knees. I think glutes might be an issue with you? You should engage them at the top of the lift for lockout, not using your glutes puts your lower back under more pressure.

And by the way, your getting this from a man resting a facet joint strain.

Thanks for the advice. Makes perfect sense as to why I'm getting some back pain. I don't think I have a glutes issue, I just wasn't sitting back enough....but, you could bee right! What would be a good training regime to keep increasing weight on the deadlift? Should I be doing linear progression like a 5x5 type workout or just going for reps?

dor843088 wrote: »
    Pretty sure you are performing a deficit deadlift here since those tri grip plates are smaller than regular plates . Could explain why your hips and shoulders are close in height. A proper plate is 450mm in diameter. check yours.

Your spot on, just checked and they are 420mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Wailin wrote: »
    Your spot on, just checked and they are 420mm.

Must be 25's you have cos I think the 20's are 400mm. Just worth noting . Id rather pull from the correct height myself .

• Advertisement

Wailin wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. Makes perfect sense as to why I'm getting some back pain. I don't think I have a glutes issue, I just wasn't sitting back enough....but, you could bee right! What would be a good training regime to keep increasing weight on the deadlift? Should I be doing linear progression like a 5x5 type workout or just going for reps?

Low reps and high weight, 3 times a fortnight always did it for me. I find the lower back takes the biggest bashing with high volume. But at the same time the magnusson/ortmayer deadlift routine probably gave me the fastest progress. Look it up but don't go near it until your happy with your form.

Advertisement