Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Let Delay Due to Pregnant Landlady

Options
  • 26-09-2014 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

I just wanted to put this down in writing to get some advice from you guys as I am currently unsure of how to proceed here. Basically, viewed a property end of last month, got all the references etc. cleared by 12th of September and was due to move in on October 6th. However, on Wednesday I got a call from the estate agent telling me that the landlady, who is currently living at the property has had a delay with her new house and so we will not be able to move in until the 13th of October now. The landlady also promised that regardless of what happens that she will not delay longer than the 13th and if needs be she can go live at her parents. Fine I thought, what's another week anyhow!!

However, I was going on the assumption that I was okay to stay where I am for another week but found out that that will not be possible, so now I will effectively be without somewhere to live on the 6th so waiting an extra week becomes a massive issue for me. I contacted the estate agent again and told them this and asked if the landlady could instead move in with her parents a bit earlier (as she had suggested) and allow me to have the property on the 6th as initially agreed.

Anyway, heard nothing back from the estate agent so called them today and they told me that they had not heard from the landlady (or actually that the woman who was dealing with this was out of the office today) but would contact her again. They informed me, however, that the landlady is infact heavily pregnant and so cannot move. This was the first I had heard of this and got me to thinking, well if she cannot move now and there is a further delay on her new property beyond the 13th and she is still pregnant then then where does that put me? I can understand the position the landlady is in but this has also put me in a really tricky position. I feel bad for pushing the issue now but I don't really see what else I can do, as I myself will be homeless soon and even waiting another week now it seems no guarantee I'll have this place.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Have you paid a deposit? If not, move on. If you have, get it back, and move on.

Landlady's pregnancy is not your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Thanks endacl. Yes, I have paid a holding fee to the estate agent (I'm renting in the UK where that is common practice) which is refundable if there is a problem on the landlord's side or if they don't want to proceed with the tenancy, so hopefully that will be okay to get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Thanks endacl. Yes, I have paid a holding fee to the estate agent (I'm renting in the UK where that is common practice) which is refundable if there is a problem on the landlord's side or if they don't want to proceed with the tenancy, so hopefully that will be okay to get back.

Mike if your query relates to a UK tenancy, we can't really help here as the majority of posters would be quoting the Irish legislation. You need to seek advice from a UK site to get the best advice for that jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Thanks The_Morrigan. It's not actually the legal side of things I'm concerned with. I was just wondering if anyone else had ever found themselves in a similar position and what happened? Also, I don't know if I'm being overly worried about this or if indeed it does sound likely that I could end up with nowhere for well beyond the 13th!! Just hoping for some other views/opinions on it rather than any legal side. Have not signed a lease yet so there is no tenancy agreement but have paid a holding fee, which I may or may not get back. Those side of it don't really concern me, it's the "how it looks" is my main worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The deposit is a refundable one. By law the EA has to hand it back if the tenancy does not proceed. You don't know what problems might be down the line, so I'd pull out of the tenancy, and get the deposit back.

Shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't wait, but get straight back on to RightMove and get busy looking. Don't wait to become homeless!! Depending on where you want to live, it should be quite easy to get another place.

Don't feel bad. The landlady's pregnancy isn't your problem. This is strictly business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Pregnancy does not stop anyone moving. I moved house in the last two weeks of a pregnancy. I didn't do heavy lifting, i did the organising. Also dealt with a change of tenant 2 days from giving birth (handing over keys, new letting agreeement, etc).

she should be doing her best to get herself together and sort it out. If she wants physical help moving, hire movers. It's going to cost her about the same in lost rent anyway.

If she is refusing to move now when pregnant, she could easily go overdue by a few weeks, and then be unable to move for 6 weeks after the birth with stitches /c-section etc.

Seek clarification on what week of pregnancy she is in, etc.

Advertisement