Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using Win 7 retail disk to reinstall HP laptop

• 26-09-2014 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭

A friend has dropped his HP laptop into me to look at and the hard disk is borked, so have ordered a new HDD and will have to reinstall Windows 7. Now he either never had or has lost the HP recovery disk set, and HP want €49 for new ones, so I've investigated the possibility of using one of the Digital River retail ISO's to reinstall instead.

Now, some online sources say this works perfectly OK using the code on the COA sticker, others say it won't and that you have to go through the phone activation procedure, something that having gone through it once I'd rather not repeat, so what's the opinion here? Is there a good chance it'll work or not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,745 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It should work, otherwise the phone activation takes a few minutes and is automated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

MYOB wrote: »
    It should work, otherwise the phone activation takes a few minutes and is automated
    Thanks. My experience with the phone activation was painful in as much as I got put through to an Indian call centre and had to get the agent to repeat each set of digits I had to input several times as I could barely hear / understand him. Maybe I was just unlucky, but I'd prefer not to have to do it if possible.

My experience with clean installs with OEM COA keys is that if you enter the key during Windows setup, you'll have to use the phone activation method. However, if you don't enter it during setup, and later enter it from the System properties applet, it will activate online just fine.

Karsini wrote: »
    My experience with clean installs with OEM COA keys is that if you enter the key during Windows setup, you'll have to use the phone activation method. However, if you don't enter it during setup, and later enter it from the System properties applet, it will activate online just fine.
    Great, thanks! The replacement disk hasn't arrived yet, so you've potentially saved me a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

The hp install info would have been on the hard drive in a seperate partition. but since the drive failed, then obviously you wont have access to it. never understand why they wont give you a disc anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

It will work, although unlike the recovery discs you will have to manually go to the HP support site after (possibly on another computer) and download all the drivers for your friend's laptop. An easy way to do it, is to check in device manager and see if you (at least) have an ethernet driver. Then let windows update pull as many drivers as it can find, then you only have to get the ones you need from the HP site. Finish the install by going to ninite.com and grabbing some usefull apps (pdf reader, libre office etc)

Yes, I realise I'll have to do that. In any case, the versions on the recovery partition or discs would probably be hopelessly out of date anyway, so would need to be updated. Also unless the Ethernet adapter is some weird unknown type Windows 7 will probably have a functioning one to tide me over until I can download newer versions of everything.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

one tip for any operating system is to use a network cable when doing an install.

more bandwidth , and less faffing about with wifi passwords/settings/drivers , wifi is much easier to setup when you have the system up and running with the latest drivers.

Thanks, I've done reinstalls loads of times, so preaching to the converted there. It was just the issue of using a non-OEM disk to install that was the issue. Laptop is now back with the owner. Didn't need to phone activate either by the way, thank goodness.

Advertisement