Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend short-term accommodation while looking for work in London?

Options
  • 26-09-2014 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

As the title suggests, I am thinking of moving to London and I would like to find somewhere to stay for a month or so, while I look for more long-term accommodation as well as a job.

I'd like to avoid hostels if possible, but will use one if needs be, and obviously the cheaper the better (without being a dive of course). I have been eyeing up AirBnB....does anyone have any experience of using it for similar purposes?

Or how did others go about this? Does anyone have any other good suggestions as to how to solve the temporary accommodation issue, aside from the obvious one of staying with friends and family?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 howisshecuttin

Depending on how quickly you need this you could try spareroom.co.uk

Their filters allow you to be very specific about the length of time you need and how quickly/urgently you need the room. Someone might be willing to offer you a place without having met, though with Skype and electronic bank transfers so readily available it is becoming easier to screen people remotely.

Worth having a look both for immediate and longt-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Old fashioned but pubs with rooms, but I would go with hostels every farthing counts when you get here

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Vag

I agree, it's very pricey alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

What sort of job are you looking for?

I am looking for research, charity, mental health care type roles. But I would consider anything just to get the ball rolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 howisshecuttin

Best place for charity roles is the Charity Jobs Website and also Guardian Website. Be prepared to earn less than in Ireland, even allowing for exchange rate.

Signed up to both!

Advertisement