Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birthday and Christmas gifts for nephews and neices

Options
  • 26-09-2014 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

Hi I am an aunt to 6 children and I have a child of my own. Before I had a child I would spend 50 euro per child for birthdays and Christmas but now I need to budget as can't afford that. I get each child two gifts per birthday/Christmas. What amount should I spend on my nephew and nieces, they age rang from 1yr to 13yrs old.

thanks for advise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

My DH has 14 nieces & nephews which is too many to buy for so we do a kris kindle draw so each child will get a gift from an aunt, uncle or grandparent. We spend €20-50, we tend to spend more on the older kids. The kids are from 0-12yrs, so typically spend €20 on under 3s, €30 on under 5s, and €50 on the 8-12yr olds. So as a couple we will never spend more than €100 on nieces/nephews and it's usually less. Everyone is happy.

In my family my kids are the only ones, and i have 2 siblings so i tell them to each buy for 1 of my kids. I don't want my kids getting any more than that. I don't know what they spend, probably €30 aprox.

For birthdays we spend €20-25 unless the child is a god-child then we might spend a bit more, closer to €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,560 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Argos has 3 for 2 on toys now.(I think)
    Be on the look out for special offers in Smyths/Argos/etc I often find Tesco can sell toys off very cheaply/just to get rid of them to make room in the store room.(These offers wouldn't normally be advertised.)
    Be on the look out for DVD at HMV/Xtravision they often have good offers on/sell off pre-owned/ex-rental copies.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

In our family we all just give to godchildren.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Same in my family,godchildren only. They get enough as it is and some in my family don't have kids yet and I think it's unfair on them to feel they have to buy for 9 nieces and nephews.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

I am the only aunt that gives them gifts and they don't get a lot in general. So I want to keep giving them gifts but I have to budget more now that I have a kid and it's expensive buying for so many. Is it really mean if I budget 20 per kid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

No €20 a child is not mean.
    I spend 20€ a niece/nephew. I have 3 nephews, husband has 4.
    3 of those are also god children I spend 35-40 on godchildren.
    €20 is a lot of money op, up to you if you buy one thing or a few smaller things.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

That's a lot of children. Ten euro per child.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

thanks everyone for all the advice. I try my best to get things reduce down to 20 euro, so that it is a good toy etc. Some of them love books, so that's handy.

Should I give the 13yr old a card with money in it, now that he is a teenager or still buy gift?

For the older kids I give the money especially if not god children (8+) I give the money.

Just to add for €20 a book and a pyjamas is s great present IMHO.
    For younger kids playdo is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Should I give the 13yr old a card with money in it, now that he is a teenager or still buy gift?

I would always get a gift. They mightn't acknowledge it but people (even teens) love opening presents.

At that age you can start thinking very laterally though. It is essentially an adult you are buying a present for - but you can buy an adult or child present.

Pennys at the moment have Marvel toiletry sets (shower gel & deoderant) for 8 euro & with a book is a nice present.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

€20 is more than enough. I would get my nephew who is almost 15 some phone credit or if he is looking for a particular game I would get him a voucher for the store. In fairness I have a big family so if we all bought for each child the end up with ten presents on Xmas eve which is excessive. I agree though that at 13 they do still like the excitement of opening a present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

We do god children aswell only. Keep an eye out in tk Maxx aswell. You can pick up some nice toys at a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am an aunt to a number of children aged up to 12. As a family we decided that we would just buy presents for the children's birthdays and not at Christmas.
    I am god mother to 2 of the children so I will spend more on these children.

I look out for offers ie 2 things for €20 in argos, offers in heatons or offers on amazon.
    If I find a large present on www.amazon.co.uk I will copy and paste this item into www.camelcamelcamel.com uk. This will show the price history of the item. You can then put in that once the item falls in price to ie £120 you will get an email to say this.
    I have used this a few times. I once got a great lego set for £40. The same set in Ireland with less items was apox €85.
    Also if I see something that looks expensive for a good price I will buy it then and put it away until it is the child's birthday.

Advertisement