Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 8, Episode 6 - "The Caretaker"

Options
  • 26-09-2014 1:26pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Looks like another disposable, once-off episode, though will presumably feature some form of showdown between Danny and the Doctor; the second episode's heavy-handed pegging of this new incarnation as a hater of soldiers seemed like foreshadowing of some conflict between the two, but we shall see.

The clip once more shows Capaldi's immaculate comic delivery and timing: 'there's a sinister puddle' had me chuckling :)

It's also the Doctor's first return to Coal Hill School after 1989's Remembrance of the Daleks, and with the school featuring in Dr. Who's very first episode, I wonder if there'll be any nods to this fact.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm not a fan of heavy handed references but that River one was gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm looking forward to this, from what I've seen and heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm not a fan of heavy handed references but that River one was gold!
    Anyone else thought he said Autons rather than otters?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Accent seem to be more pronounced. I'm expecting another slight episode again, possibly another hint at Missy and little to get excited about.

I think that was one of my favourite Capaldi episodes so far, and possibly one of the better nu-Who episodes.

I want to start a pro-Courtney campaign!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

That episode did not endear me to Mr. Pink.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Overall another good episode. Character driven with excellent banter between the main leads with some nice thematic progression. Mr. Pink still a tad underwhelming but becoming a more rounded individual. Pity little Ms. Disruptive Influence not in line for next companion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

I really enjoyed that. Was nice how The Doctor actually came across as a caretaker of sorts. The episode really showed how saving earth really is all in a days work for the guy-pottering around, going about his business, like any mundane job.
    Great character development in the extended scenes of dialogue. Really got into The Doctors mind, loved him losing his temper. Peter Capaldis acting was fantastic in this episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Very good episode.

I think Clara is much better with Capaldi than with Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Loved it - both the River reference and the 'I'm the guy who carries the fire, he's the one who lights it' were so understated and casually done. Brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I didn't like Pink before this episode. Different story now. The scene where he read the Doctor for what he was, officer class - was excellent.
    I know this episode was character driven but they do need to work on the special effects - the monster of the week looked like a small town parade float.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

I was really hoping for a less comedic doctor with Capaldi, and was really expecting to see a more serious doctor this time around. Every Saturday I tell myself that this is the one where he really hits his stride and we see the real doctor. I'm still waiting. I'm still hoping.

It's not that he's a bad doctor. I'm ok with him so far, but he hasn't taken me back to the days of 'truwho' as I had expected him to. I liked Matt Smith, but I didn't want another one so soon. I have a horrible feeling I'm going to get one whether I want it or not. And that kind of makes me a bit sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Liked how the Doctor believed Adrian was Clara's boyfriend, especially since any time he came on screen I thought it was Smith for a second.

And Capaldi whistling Pink Floyd was nicely done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I enjoyed that. Trust Roberts to tell a good relationship story, like he did in The Lodger and his rewrite of Shada.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Enjoyed it.

As an episode, lots of funny little moments, and I loved when the Doc thought Clara was dating Smith-lite.

The thing I really liked though was how Pink was well capable of standing up to the Doctor; he read him easily (and pretty much perfectly) and didn't seem intimidated by him. Enjoyed it.

Also loved the Chris Addison cameo at the end; if he and the Doctor don't squeeze in a "Thick of It" reference, I'll cry...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

That ep really reinforced the whole "doctor is not boyfriend material" that someone else mentioned in another thread. As PE said he's a space father figure what with him making sure PE is right for clara and all that jazz. Said to the gf and I believe it's highly possible that Clara will finish her stint with the doctor at the end of this series. Either dying or leaving of her own free will I know not yet but I wouldn't dismiss that just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Very much enjoyed it as an episode. Anyone else think Little Miss Disruptive Infuence will have a bigger role to play down the line?

I hope so. She was in Clara's "first day" flash back in Deep Breath too.

Perhaps The Doctor can two-time Clara..after all he all these periods where she's back on Earth to fill :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I liked it, I have a few predictions for minor arcs based off this ep.

1) pink is a mathematician , so he will see the doctors blackboards and figure out the missing piece.

2) next weeks episode is set in the earths near future, it contains a balck woman with suspiciously frizzy hair, my bets are that this is little miss disruptive influence, who after a life altering trip in the tardis re examines her priorities and dedicates herself to space travel.

3) Pink will join the tardis crew, after a few hair raising adventures he will sacrifice himself for clara and end up in the promised land

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Speaking of the Promised Land, seems this episode showed it's not those involved with the Doctor that go there. That policeman was investigating the place on his own and before the Doctor got involved with the killer robot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I enjoyed that, almost as much as 'Listen' and feels like series 8 finally finding its focus and swagger. I don't think it's a coincidence either that the two strongest episodes been the more character-driven ones; the relationship between the Doctor, Clara and Danny here was so perfectly pitched and executed I could have happily watched 45 minutes of that drama and that alone. Danny's role in affairs finally came to light and the confrontation between him and the Doctor was excellent, the former's sizing up of the Doctor as the 'officer class' felt like satisfying a coming together of that occasional theme of Doctor #12 hating soldiers.

Of course, it can't be Doctor Who without a handy monster-of-the-week to keep things going and even that worked pretty OK. The FX weren't perfect but to be honest I'd rather see something small-scale executed competently like the Skovox Blitzer than previous attempts to be big and epic that just demonstrate the frayed edges at every turn. Easier to save money I guess if the episode's set in an otherwise ordinary school.

Also, as is usual, lots of funny lines, with the average possibly higher than usual:
    'The door; it says "Keep Out"'
    'No, it says, "Go away humans"'
    'So it does. Never lose your temper in the middle of a door sign.'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Speaking of the Promised Land, seems this episode showed it's not those involved with the Doctor that go there. That policeman was investigating the place on his own and before the Doctor got involved with the killer robot.

Was interesting to see the charred corpse as well. Means that the people are actually dying and not being teleported away at the final split second.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

CastorTroy wrote: »

Yeah, destroyed my theory about how it was a place the Doc's suiciding soldiers were going to.

That said, doesn't mean Missy isn't showing special interest in those cases though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

This was one of better episodes of current season so far. Current season has been very hit or miss so far with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Yeah, destroyed my theory about how it was a place the Doc's suiciding soldiers were going to.

That said, doesn't mean Missy isn't showing special interest in those cases though....

She did seem pretty stressed out about something. Possibly she was hoping for a new recruit but it didn't happen (Danny not getting zapped?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Very much enjoyed that episode. Still think Mr. Pink is a knob and a bad character.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I liked the disruptive girl but don't think she will play a major part. I suspect she was their to contrast with Clara.

I really liked the way Pink and the doctor interacted, at last someone who sees the doctor for what he is, aristocracy.

I also got a weird feeling that Clara is going to end up doing something she will regret and it will be the trigger for her leaving the show. That last talk with Danny seemed to be predicting something.

Missy still a mystery, however we now know that she is not alone and that something is concerning her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Just watched it. Enjoyed the episode but not a fan of Mickey on steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Just watched it. Enjoyed the episode but not a fan of Mickey on steroids.

Do Mr. Pink and Mickey have anything in common, beyond, yanno......tight haircuts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Do Mr. Pink and Mickey have anything in common, beyond, yanno......tight haircuts?

Boohoo, you prefer the Doctor. Boohoo, I have abandonment issues. :D

Advertisement