Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you want to pay the Water Charges

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Shin your post has to be one of the best laid out and written posts iv seen in a long time on Boards. Fair dues. I for one will not be paying any water charge. Yes they installed the meter without protest in fact i don't care that they did coz all the same they wont be getting no PPS or no payments from me. I think if people refuse to pay en mass then what can they do? they cant take the whole country to court. Hopefully people will not get scared by IW and their threats hopefully people will stand up and refuse to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

shinzon wrote: »
    and can I ask then are you happy to continue to pay for water twice through indirect taxes because that isn't going to stop with the setup of this

Shin
    The water quality in this country is brutal, it's obvious that the additional tax we pay isn't enough to provide us with a quality water system hence the requirements to charge for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

ted1 wrote: »
    The water quality in this country is brutal, it's obvious that the additional tax we pay isn't enough to provide us with a quality water system hence the requirements to charge for it.

The water charge is not going to make the water any better as IW will be another half arsed attempt from an Irish government at something they think will be good for peoples services. Id have no issue with paying for water if there was going to be a proper service that will actually provide people with a good quality service. Already IW are back tracking on their promise to fix peoples supplies i mean Jesus if they are doing that now imagine what they will be like once they are fully established.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

We already do pay for the water we use to the tune of 1.2 billion euro
    You're not answering the question and are going off on tangents and long freeman-like rants. Who should pay for your water if you won't pay for it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

hmmm wrote: »
    You're not answering the question and are going off on tangents and long rants. Who should pay for your water if you won't pay for it yourself?

we are already paying for it...... its part of our taxes...
    so not looking for anybody to pay it for us, we pay for it already

• Advertisement

I am paying because I feel that is right that we each pay for what we use. If we want to shower numerous times a day, do loads of washing and wash the car every day, we should pay for it. Our tax intake no longer is enough to cover this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

@ Shinzon, very detailed and accurate post. I agree with all of your points and if people just used the law they could overturn this unjust charge.

One thing though, it might seem obvious, but what do we do with the application pack?? Mine is sitting, unopened, in the front hall and I have heard everything from "just send it back to them and claim they made a mistake" to "Write a smart note on the form and then send it back" but I dont even want to open the thing or enter into any contract with them but just leaving it there seems foolish as it would give IW the upper hand as Im sure they have some non-response claim which would take action if they dont hear back from me. Legally, what does someone who doesnt want IW product do with this?

@ Shinzon, very detailed and accurate post. I agree with all of your points and if people just used the law they could overturn this unjust charge.

One thing though, it might seem obvious, but what do we do with the application pack?? Mine is sitting, unopened, in the front hall and I have heard everything from "just send it back to them and claim they made a mistake" to "Write a smart note on the form and then send it back" but I dont even want to open the thing or enter into any contract with them but just leaving it there seems foolish as it would give IW the upper hand as Im sure they have some non-response claim which would take action if they dont hear back from me. Legally, what does someone who doesnt want IW product do with this?

Once you've disconnected your water supply, you can send it back ticking the section declaring you do not use the public water supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Because we're an island and water is scarce!

How about drinking water

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

obezyana wrote: »
    Shin your post has to be one of the best laid out and written posts iv seen in a long time on Boards. Fair dues. I for one will not be paying any water charge. Yes they installed the meter without protest in fact i don't care that they did coz all the same they wont be getting no PPS or no payments from me. I think if people refuse to pay en mass then what can they do? they cant take the whole country to court. Hopefully people will not get scared by IW and their threats hopefully people will stand up and refuse to pay.

Not enough people in this country have the courage to oppose unjust taxes and charges which are a blatant attempt to recoup the losses which were directly caused by the Government. Just look at the sickening pro-FG vibe from certain posters here. Its not the party they support that bothers me, its the unquestioning and scarily loyal views towards their very unfair taxes, cuts and charges that make my skin crawl. Enda Kenny broke every single one of his pre-election promises on property charges, cuts to disabled children and the handicapped, medical card cuts, third level fees increases, salary caps broken and an utter disdain for the common men.

Despite all the above, you can still find plenty of people here who wont have a bad word said about FG or their representatives like Coffey and Deasy etc. Not only that, they claim that these policies are just and correct and what we need to recover the economy. Thats genuinely scary how brainwashed they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

hmmm wrote: »
    You're not answering the question and are going off on tangents and long freeman-like rants. Who should pay for your water if you won't pay for it yourself?

I'm not sure how many times it has to be said or how different I can say it I pay for my water through tax already

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

lads water charges and metering of houses was obviously in the pipeline for a good few years, we live in kill st lawrence and the planning for those houses included the holes for water meters and for all i know there prob already installed might have a gander tomorrow, this estate is here since before the recession hit, no matter what government was in place be it our current or previous they were goin to implement water charges on house anyway!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Not enough people in this country have the courage to oppose unjust taxes and charges which are a blatant attempt to recoup the losses which were directly caused by the Government. Just look at the sickening pro-FG vibe from certain posters here. Its not the party they support that bothers me, its the unquestioning and scarily loyal views towards their very unfair taxes, cuts and charges that make my skin crawl. Enda Kenny broke every single one of his pre-election promises on property charges, cuts to disabled children and the handicapped, medical card cuts, third level fees increases, salary caps broken and an utter disdain for the common men.

Despite all the above, you can still find plenty of people here who wont have a bad word said about FG or their representatives like Coffey and Deasy etc. Not only that, they claim that these policies are just and correct and what we need to recover the economy. Thats genuinely scary how brainwashed they are.

The water charge is entirely fair if you look at things objectively- it's the historic way of funding our water infrastructure, out of general taxes, that is unfair.

People who have no mains water pay the same taxes as people with mains water. How is that fair?

People who are careless and wasteful with water pay no more than people who appreciate water is a scarce resource and behave accordingly. How is that fair?

I'll be mad as hell, IF there isn't suitable investment in our water infrastructure once IW is up and running, but I'm willing to give them enough rope to hang themselves with, and vote in a better Govt if they don't deliver - as I said before I've no interest in party politics, this is the way most of the western world pay for the water so I see no reason why we ought to remain the exception, particularly since its clear our "free" system has resulted in a total lack of investment down through the years, to the point where half of our water just leaks out of the system.

It's a no brainer.

And the scary thing to me is how entitled so many people in this country feel. They want everything but want someone else, some guy called The Rich, to pay for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Again wrong there is an area outside your property that is covered by the curtilage law

Shin

I ain't wrong, footpath outside houses don't belong to house owner as I've seen this dealt with in the past

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ok enough of this,

If you want to create posts about how much you agree/disagree with Irish Water in general then the Waterford forum is not the place, there's already numerous threads on boards.ie about it including the very large one in After Hours - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057249879

If you want to specifically discuss the protests in Waterford then I suggest you post here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057296738

Thread Locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement