Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Féileacán Mór

Options
  • 26-09-2014 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭

Right oh, I started one of these over on the 'Darkside' a while back.

I quickly realised my errand ways as I felt the pull of AR was much stronger than a period of purely running and tried to get it moved back. I understand why we call it the darkside now cos once you go there, they'll never let you come back!!

Anyway the motivating factors that led me to think I would be solo-sporting for a while have changed of late and it is now time for me to get the show on the road with some proper structured training.

Some of ye know my blog which is a Bertie Bassets of work, training, events and what not so by starting this I'm placing my trust in you lot to keep me honest, focussed and less easily distracted by other topics.

I'll look for consistency going forward. I'll look for enjoyment. I'll look for weight loss.

Gimme those three things and I'll be a happy chappy.

To set my stall out. I'll measure RHR (Resting Heart Rate), Waist and Weight regularly as well as what I'm doing.

Short term goal - get to a sub 40 10k by Nov 24th.
    Medium term - fit and lean with tons of fun through the Winter
    Longer term - Team #TriHarder the Beast & Beyond.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

AKW wrote: »

that's either a birthday or a target race....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

mossym wrote: »

Jeepers no the milestone birthday is long gone!!

A local race that I'm picking as a target otherwise it'll be Fields of Athenry 10k on Stephen's Day and that's too far away for me to get motivated!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I don't understand..... Do people have to train for a sub 40 10km??????

tunney wrote: »
    I don't understand..... Do people have to train for a sub 40 10km??????

Want to get banned from here too? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What's your current 10k pb? Which 10k are you doing? I hope it's not Kilcornan because if you're anyway borderline the route and surface will go against you from what I know of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Oh, good to see you logging :cool:

pgibbo wrote: »
    What's your current 10k pb? Which 10k are you doing? I hope it's not Kilcornan because if you're anyway borderline the route and surface will go against you from what I know of it.

It is and strangely enough I did my best one there 2 years ago and I do like that course. Hard first half and very fast finish.

My training patch so I'll be doing intervals and tempo runs on the hilly bits. I've a PB around 42ish (I'm brutal with remembering times) that is not representative of the current condition I'm in though.

Gonna give it a bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

You moved house :eek:

You moved house :eek:

I prefer to think of it as the prodigal son returns :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Okay...I'm really confused....maybe it's because I have a splitting headache right now, or maybe it's because I'm still foggy from the IM 6 days ago...but....we're the darkside, right? :confused:

Oh, and hi AKW. :) You said you wanted more smiles around here....so here's a few more for you. :):):);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Dory Dory wrote: »
    ...we're the darkside, right?
    If you want to be... !

Turning into the most diverse set of training logs. Welcome teamie :D

Right oh.

Training plan sourced, downloaded and printed. Kind offer of help from someone who knows how to work to get the results. Think I'm about to learn how to suffer.

7 weeks may be is ambitious but I'll give it a crack.
    The plan is for athletes who already train a minimum of 4 to 5 times a week....consistent mileage of 50km per week before you start the plan.

Not recently and clutching at straws but I do qualify under these terms. ;)

I'm going to start at Week 1 and see how I go. Mostly pace driven plan, some paces I can dream of right now but with the right push and less work stress I can hit them.

Round up of this week:

4:09 of running covering 44.5km in 5 session. Not bad for a 100 hour work week :cool:

Are you still doing KAR?

Are you still doing KAR?

Thankfully no. I've managed to miss getting in touch with Oliver over the past weeks as he was anxious to offer me an entry ;)

Bullet dodged!! :D

(Mike was backing you to hand me my ass down there anyway. I concede!*)

*cos if you'd beaten me you'd have been double dunked at Beast 2015 :)

Monday

RHR 48bpm
    Waist 102cm
    Weight 86kg

Waist always been an issue for me. I go lean and gaunt everywhere except my trunk. Diet, dairy, drink all changed and varied over years so targeted work and weights to address visceral & belly fat.

Monday

RHR 48bpm
    Waist 102cm
    Weight 86kg

Waist always been an issue for me. I go lean and gaunt everywhere except my trunk. Diet, dairy, drink all changed and varied over years so targeted work and weights to address visceral & belly fat.

So size 40inch waist trousers?

tunney wrote: »
    So size 40inch waist trousers?

Nope. 34" hips where my trousers sit. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Hat-Eating-350x350.jpghttp:Hat-Eating-350x350.jpg

catweazle wrote: »
    ...Hat-Eating-350x350.jpghttp:

Oh boy, you didn't just do that, did you?

You are still chewing on the hat you earned by me beating you in Kinvara 2 years ago!! :)

Let the record be shown who was first to cross the line

125 » S. C. Amphibian King Male Male40 1082 (1:39:01) 1:39:17
    126 » J. L. Predator Male MaleS 1613 (1:39:01) 1:39:17

• Advertisement

and you think you're going sub 40 based on those 10k times?

;)

and you think you're going sub 40 based on those 10k times?

;)

et tu?!

et tu?!

i imagine you'll get there before i do...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I foolishly made the mistake of staying level with your head, I forgot that your gut would pass the line approx a meter before my 6 pack

Right your card is marked! As for the two chuckle heads agreeing with you.....

As for the two chuckle heads agreeing with you.....

Don+t+be+Hatin.+http+countlessthousands.bandcamp.com_c804a9_3450438.jpg

Right your card is marked! As for the two chuckle heads agreeing with you.....

In fairness it was pretty funny :D

Past couple of weeks has seen me running into work and then running home again.

It's been enjoyable because my daughter accompanies me on her bike for the last 7.5km. I collect her from Irish dancing and we have a little bit of daddy / daughter time as she pedals along chatting away about her day.

Yesterday she was to go to a friends house after school, before dancing, and do her homework. Homework was ignored so the forfeit was that she didn't get to cycle home. Tough lesson but it meant I had no company or excuse for an easy run either.

9.5 00:50:07 146Avg HR 00:05:16Avg P 782kcal
    9.5 00:49:00 150Avg Hr 00:05:09Avg P 802kcal

Monday was as above.

Following a plan which I found online I'm mixing it up and working my own way through the early weeks reintroducing some speed work as I go.

Tuesday: I cycled in and out. This while not 'training' I do in a big gear (Ipretend it's a fixie) with an intention of working on leg strength.

Wednesday: I dropped the kids into school but brought my run gear as I'd an interval set planned for the way home.

1 Warm-up 3 km
    2 Work 0.2 km
    3 Rest 0.2 km
    4 Cool-down 3 km

The 200m pieces were 55sec my first speedwork in probably 12 months and all came in under 50 secs. Felt good during and afterwards. :cool: (may have been a bit cocky on Twitter, but time will tell!!)

Jogged back in this morning, nice brisk day for it and with a run home planned too the last 2 weeks will see a nice jolt back into training.

30 Sep 2014 9.5k 00:19:54 134 267
    30 Sep 2014 9.5k 00:20:26 132 266
    1 Oct 2014 9.5k 00:47:26 148 00:05:00 757
    2 Oct 2014 9.5 00:49:34 141 00:05:13 723

Already seeing the HR dropping on the easy efforts which I like to see.

• Advertisement

Monday was as above.

Following a plan which I found online I'm mixing it up and working my own way through the early weeks reintroducing some speed work as I go.

Tuesday: I cycled in and out. This while not 'training' I do in a big gear (Ipretend it's a fixie) with an intention of working on leg strength.

Wednesday: I dropped the kids into school but brought my run gear as I'd an interval set planned for the way home.

1 Warm-up 3 km
    2 Work 0.2 km
    3 Rest 0.2 km
    4 Cool-down 3 km

The 200m pieces were 55sec my first speedwork in probably 12 months and all came in under 50 secs. Felt good during and afterwards. :cool: (may have been a bit cocky on Twitter, but time will tell!!)

Jogged back in this morning, nice brisk day for it and with a run home planned too the last 2 weeks will see a nice jolt back into training.

30 Sep 2014 9.5k 00:19:54 134 267
    30 Sep 2014 9.5k 00:20:26 132 266
    1 Oct 2014 9.5k 00:47:26 148 00:05:00 757
    2 Oct 2014 9.5 00:49:34 141 00:05:13 723

Already seeing the HR dropping on the easy efforts which I like to see.

Are you watching your form, particularly your hips, on the speed work?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement