Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Féileacán Mór

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

If you've got anything in that van that's a pretty shade of pink in a size small, let me know!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Due in t2 to switch to kayak any minute. Going well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

mossym wrote: »
    60 and ill throw in some barely used bike cleats

Done. Great bargains at AKW this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Well that was .... different.

So much to think about and comment on. Will be putting a long post together.

The most imortant thing is we survived, we did't capsize, and we came safely if incorrectly off the mountain.

A spark for adventure has been awakened in my wife :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

AKW wrote: »

The most imortant thing is we survived, we did't capsize, and we came safely if incorrectly off the mountain.

Was watching ye on the tracker. Fair play ye got on well..

• Advertisement

Ah here. What goes on on tour....

woody1 wrote: »
    Was watching ye on the tracker. Fair play ye got on well..

Thanks Woody and great to see you at the start, pleasant surprise to see familiar faces. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done you 2

How did the Kayak fare? Was a Spark lit under Mossy too?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Well done you 2

nothing that wasn't there before, as in the spark is still tri focused. hell of an accomplishment by the lads, but i've other goals for now anyway. this did more to prove to me to see them out first before looking at other things than it did to whet any additional appetites.

significant experience as a support driver obtained though..:)

Well done you 2

Kayak was a demon!! Hosed over the course with 1 hour under the budgeted time :D really got those paddles singing!!
    mossym wrote: »
    nothing that wasn't there before, as in the spark is still tri focused for now. hell of an accomplishment by the lads, but i've other goals for now anyway. this did more to prove to me to see them out first before looking at other things than it did to whet any additional appetites.

significant experience as an exceptional support driver obtained though..:)

Above and beyond the call of duty!!

Busy with the race report and it's looking like a 2 parter :cool:

Video footage not too good though, discovered the alignment on the bike was off slightly so plenty of road footage 5m in front of me :( will make the best of it.

Already looking around to see what's next ;)

• Advertisement

Already looking around to see what's next ;)

Is Beast not next? 10 weeks away or so, isn't it?

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Is Beast not next? 10 weeks away or so, isn't it?

A lot can happen in 10 weeks.
    A lot can be undone.

I know which way my natural tendencies lie so need to find something!! :)

A lot can be undone.

Enigmatic response of the year so far... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

A lot can be undone.

Rogaine? http://www.setantaorienteers.org/rogaine

Just enough time to recover from this weekend :) We're hitting it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Neady83 wrote: »
    Rogaine? http://www.setantaorienteers.org/rogaine

Just enough time to recover from this weekend :) We're hitting it

Rogaine 24hr was one that I was thinking of.

Could be an option.

In fairness when Mrs AKW started talking about buying a tent and asking what is the next adventure we're going on...it was like all my Christmas's came together :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

carlingford lough endurance challenge 4th july 2015, https://clec1.wordpress.com/
    last years details i know but imagine its all the same

Ok in true AKW style the Race Report is a multiparter (sorry! :o )

I'm not going to post it here as it'll crash the boards servers, it's going onto the TriHarder website. Link in the sig or www.triharderar.com

While the race report is being generated the plans are moving afoot.

It looks like Rogaining will be the next event for me. Alongside this I am starting my autumn marathon program. We're running a 22 week schedule through work but it is time for me to get the 3:15 monkey off my back so I am following the 'Experienced' plan

Obviously with the Beast coming up it can't all be running training but with a lot of running in the legs my feet will be more conditioned too so everything is a plus. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

Enjoying the read AKW, my friend who done it won the single 24hr race in the end.
    I think the best explanation is that our boat is like a road bike while those lads had a TT bike

More like you where on a beach cruiser bike while they were on TT bike's with full discs and deep rim fronts!

If your looking for a bailer the cheapest way is a 2 litre bottle of milk, cut in half. Keep the bottle cap on and tie a piece of rope to the handle and to the boat. Nice bailer with a handle and all for it.

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    Enjoying the read AKW, my friend who done it won the single 24hr race in the end.

More like you where on a beach cruiser bike while they were on TT bike's with full discs and deep rim fronts!

If your looking for a bailer the cheapest way is a 2 litre bottle of milk, cut in half. Keep the bottle cap on and tie a piece of rope to the handle and to the boat. Nice bailer with a handle and all for it.

Thanks Joey. Your mate flew around the coure!! 17hrs & 1 minute :eek:

We were making sure we got value for money taking the full 24 hours :D

I like the analogy on the boat, I reckon a solid season training in the tank and with one or two of those sleek machines we'll be skimming the water.

Great idea on the baler with handle, was thinking something along the lines of that with a handle would be idea, a flour scoop was my first thought, but that's a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

http://www.pacificaction.com/ ;-)

Great idea but you'd surely get a f'ing headwind if you did have one.

pointer28 wrote: »
    http://www.pacificaction.com/ ;-)

Great idea but you'd surely get a f'ing headwind if you did have one.

That is eff'ing brilliant!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I wonder are they specifically banned in the rules?

I'm sure they should be and it's definitely against the spirit of any event but I'd definitely buy one if I had a Kayak, not for racing of course, but for recreation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Jeez, but you love to write :pac: Good reading so far but man you're unorganised. How do you leave 2 boxes behind and stuff in the kitchen in Sligo??? :confused:

BTW, have you a link to the results?

pointer28 wrote: »
    I wonder are they specifically banned in the rules?

I'm sure they should be and it's definitely against the spirit of any event but I'd definitely buy one if I had a Kayak, not for racing of course, but for recreation.

Definitely against the rules and the spirit of it but a great idea! I think the Beast last year specifically stated no sails on the kayaks. I was wondering how the hell that would work and now I Know :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    Jeez, but you love to write :pac: Good reading so far but man you're unorganised. How do you leave 2 boxes behind and stuff in the kitchen in Sligo??? :confused:

That should probably read headless as the organisation was done and you just went without the stuff ;)

pgibbo wrote: »

Wait til you see the video :D:D

I was super organised!! :P Those boxes were superfluous to need and weren't missed. There were water bottles were in the van too but they weren't those particular ones. But, speak to the support crew manager ;)

I haven't seen any results not that we will feature in them and the tracking history is useless, no timestamps or CP times recorded. :(

Right, think we're done with that report and video. The rest of the stages are on the #TriHarderAR website and the video is below for anyone who wants to see it.

I suppose, to wrap up, a couple of things annoyed me about that event.
    • The briefing was a shambles. With two different on the same course they should have had two briefings. There were different things in place for the 2 dayers that did not apply to the non-stop and those lines were blurred.
    • Shortage of support crew booklets and support crew hoodies. I know people helped themselves but this should have been managed better.
    • Unattended or non-existent CP's.
    • No facilities for non-stop eventers. 3 course meal for 2 day eventers, a simple coffee at transition would have been great. Entry costs were the same for all so why no facilities?
    • Race bibs so people knew who was a racer and at which event.

Probably more, but I'm done.

Final thought if I want to race following arrows on the road I'll go back to tri. For now the Coast2Coast served a purpose in introducing Mrs AKW to the sport beyond that...??

Doubt I'll do it next year but I might make a trip just to complete the Slieve Donard bit. :)

• Advertisement

Just finished part deux.........can't believe you were that close to the finish and turned back for a longer trek :(

Great read :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement