Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Féileacán Mór

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Great final report, I was watching the tracker and wondering why you were gone the wrong way!

Pity to have got that far and not crossed the finish line.

Pity you weren't that happy with the event as it sounds like it has the potential to be really great just for a few basic things that really wouldn't take much effort.

I wonder will they take constructive criticism and improve on it for next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

pgibbo wrote: »
    Just finished part deux.........can't believe you were that close to the finish and turned back for a longer trek :(

Great read :cool:

Thanks P.

The sickener is as we didn't dib at the finish line we have no splits, officially, but I do have this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

That's a cool breakdown. It doesn't come across in the report that the last 2 legs were pretty much 7.5 hours of trekking :eek:

Lots of valuable takeaways though....and I don't mean KFC ;)

pointer28 wrote: »
    Great final report, I was watching the tracker and wondering why you were gone the wrong way!

Turns out a few people were shouting at the tracker, we just didn't hear ye!! :)
    pointer28 wrote: »
    Pity you weren't that happy with the event as it sounds like it has the potential to be really great just for a few basic things that really wouldn't take much effort.

I wonder will they take constructive criticism and improve on it for next year?

Ah, I think it was more to do with my expectations that anything else.

The confusion caused by the other runners on the final bit could have been missed if racers wore bibs. Also from a purely selfish point of view, no one knew about the event, in the Pharmacy in Enniscrone they didn't know that lunatics were leaving the beach to cross Ireland.

Pretty much everyone else is happy out and I don't want it to sound like sour grapes cos we didn't complete the course.

On the hills a bib would allow you to encourage other racers instead of telling random walkers "Well done! You're nearly there" :D

At the end of the day we got a whole lot more out of the experience than we expected and for that I'm thankful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Nice work teamie!

Now what have you done with Neady :D

• Advertisement

Nice work teamie!

Last time I saw her she was headed up to Slieve Donard :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    That's a cool breakdown. It doesn't come across in the report that the last 2 legs were pretty much 7.5 hours of trekking :eek:

Lots of valuable takeaways though....and I don't mean KFC ;)

Haha true almost 15 hours between the 2 stages of cycle and trek. Had budgeted on 6.5 (cycle) and 4.5 (running)

Here's the planned schedule Coast 2 Coast - TriHarder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

AKW wrote: »
    Turns out a few people were shouting at the tracker, we just didn't hear ye!! :)

i thought there might be an injury and it was easier to go down to trassey or that there might be help there, than down into newcastle, but ye were so close..

ive climbed donard a load of times and theres always runners on it, northerners seem to be mad for hill running.. first time i climbed it i ended up following them up comedagh as it looked higher from where i was in the valley, got to the top to discover the one across the way was higher and had to go down the col and up again !

dont think ye can feel to bad for not thinking straight and checking the map after the amount of time ye were awake / on the go either,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Good summary AKW!

As you have correctly stated, it could have been done a bit better.

At least you didn't turn up with a whitewater kayak that had no handles to be towed if you got into hassle and a spray deck with a big hole in it......then get pulled for safety reasons :(

I was put on the "uncompetitive" list....no timings or medal etc. It was the right call but it finished the race for me. I cycled as far as Markethill or somewhere then just packed it in.

I think you were the guys I briefly chatted to on the second half of the 5km run. Yer nice folks, well done last weekend!

Next year! :)

I think you were the guys I briefly chatted to on the second half of the 5km run. Yer nice folks, well done last weekend!

Next year! :)

Cheers my man. That would have been us alright. Sorry to hear about Markethill :(

Bit harsh on you with the kayak I think, once past Garadice Lake you would be fine so not fair to say 'unsafe'. My own comment would be "communicate", there was very little information on what was or was not allowed or any suggestion on what you might need if bringing your own kayak.

You did good, but I think Blackwater or Dingle will get herselfs vote for same time next year. As it is she's talking about DAR 24, Rogaine and Achill ROAR to finish out the season.

Think we've another Beastie on our hands (and I'm likely to get dropped!!) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

... but with a lot of running in the legs my feet will be more conditioned too so everything is a plus. :)

EH... what prepares the feet for the Beast is not running but trekking for hours on multi terrain with wet shoes... ;)

Thank for the report and video. Edel smiling in almost every shot, obviously got a lot from it. Well done you 2. For you sir, a finish line beckons this August Bank Hol :D

Have a marathon monkey to address myself so I'm in for the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Brilliant read - one minute pretending to be itching to throw in a quick summit of Slieve Donard foiled by your commitment to the team - the next admitting to not bothering to look at the map that you paused what looked a riveting episode of honey bees and their wily ways to create, definitely sounds like something I would do.

20150512_205829.jpg

Give it up Sean and go back to triathlon marshals and power hungry TI officials

Well done to both of ye and fair play to Mossy

catweazle wrote: »
    Brilliant read - one minute pretending to be itching to throw in a quick summit of Slieve Donard foiled by your commitment to the team - the next admitting to not bothering to look at the map that you paused what looked a riveting episode of honey bees and their wily ways to create, definitely sounds like something I would do.

20150512_205829.jpg

Give it up Sean and go back to triathlon marshals and power hungry TI officials

Well done to both of ye and fair play to Mossy

When you get that IM monkey off your back Team TriHarderAR are recruiting ;)

After years fluting around with tri I think I've found my itch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Nice work teamie!

I'm back :) Took myself away to Italy for a work thingy with some holidays thrown in so Monday was full of unpacking, washing, cleaning and packing :) and I've been working/sightseeing and writing my race report since :)

Well done Sean and Edel, ye did absolutely savage, yer troopers on the bike. Gutted for ye that ye went the wrong way down. That was tougher than the Newcastle route.

TrufflePig, that was you in the little kayak :( I'm so sorry.

EH... what prepares the feet for the Beast is not running but trekking for hours on multi terrain with wet shoes... ;)

Thank for the report and video. Edel smiling in almost every shot, obviously got a lot from it. Well done you 2. For you sir, a finish line beckons this August Bank Hol :D

Have a marathon monkey to address myself so I'm in for the plan.

Rogaine might help that conditioning :D

Edel loved it!! We got a convert to the cause :D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

enjoyed the video AK. the night clip should have been 10 minutes longer to give people an idea just what an ordeal for ye that was.

good read too. you're as bad as george martin though for multipart stories keeping everyone waiting for the end.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

Sorry for Hijacking your thread AKW but noticed this;
    Truffle Pig

At least you didn't turn up with a whitewater kayak that had no handles to be towed if you got into hassle and a spray deck with a big hole in it......then get pulled for safety reasons

What boat where you in Truffle pig?? Brand and model?? Just strange because the majority of boats have some sort of handles on them or a locking point behind the cockpit. Strange they would make a big deal about this!

Oh boy oh boy am I glad Coast2 Coast was this month!

If it was next month there is no way I would have gotten away with buying the kayak that I did especially when this just arrived into the local Lidl !! :D

349637.png

Oh boy oh boy am I glad Coast2 Coast was this month!

If it was next month there is no way I would have gotten away with buying the kayak that I did especially when this just arrived into the local Lidl !! :D

349637.png

looks like it would have lighter to lift over those locks as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

joey100 wrote: »
    Sorry for Hijacking your thread AKW but noticed this;

What boat where you in Truffle pig?? Brand and model?? Just strange because the majority of boats have some sort of handles on them or a locking point behind the cockpit. Strange they would make a big deal about this!

It was a Pyrhana G3 I think. It was a combination of things that a more experienced kayaker wouldn't have had a problem with it.

I struggled to keep it going straight, I twirled a lot and was constantly adjusting after each stroke. I couldn't get any speed out of her at all.

So, I had poor control over it, the two front handles were broken off, my spray deck had 5 inch a hole in it.....and I can't swim. The first lake would have been a probl for me. With all that combined, the safety guy called it.

In fairness to him, he had said he would stay with me as long as it took for me to finish, just wear a head torch. That was before he discovered the lack of handles and rip in the spray deck.

If I'd known that kayak was going to feck me up, I'd have rented one that morning.

Sorry AKW :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

Sounds fair enough so! Not the ideal boat there for a 3/4 hour kayak alright!

And AKW there is no way you could use an inflatable boat like that for what you wanted to do so you would have been safe. The boat you have now is a bit like a beach cruiser bike, that boat would have been more like a fat bike, stuck in the smallest gear and with a slow puncture too, you would have been there all day, probably even still there now!

Jaysus Truffle Pig that would have been a real slog I reckon. From what I've seen they are a skittish boat ideal for the wild stuff, a nightmare on the long treks.

No way am I entertaining the Lidl boat but until Saturday Mrs AKW would have been none the wiser and thinking a kayak is a kayak. Now I have her thinking along the lines of this:

A-R-Duo-yellow-1024x713.jpg

:D

:D

are you trying to match the van colours or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'd say the credit card will take some hit for something like that! :pac:

mossym wrote: »
    are you trying to match the van colours or something?

Most important thing is it's light weight! :D

Great morning for it. Long time since I had a weekday off work so opportunity seized and Mrs AKW and myself got a nice 11k kayak session in on the local river and turlough this morning.

Just in from a wee spin with the young lad in the woods and evening pass for a MTB session tonight before my run plan kicks off tomorrow. Aim is to get back to the bike / run commute as much as possible during the week and get a decent half day in at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Great morning for it. Long time since I had a weekday off work so opportunity seized and Mrs AKW and myself got a nice 11k kayak session in on the local river and turlough this morning.
    #Jealous :)

4 outta 4!!

How long can this streak continue? :D

10k / 50 min run this morning as prescribed.

Finally after years of looking I grew a pair and did the dropoff at the 'mattress' in Kilcornan. Should have stuck with having nailed it the first time. Cocky confidence had me running back up to the top before ploughing into a tree on the second run :(

My pride hurt more than the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

You ran into a tree :eek:

• Advertisement

You ran into a tree :eek:

I learned from the best ;):D

Tis but a scratch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement