Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Féileacán Mór

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

pgibbo wrote: »
    The very best of luck Sean. Enjoy the race. I'll have to book some time off work to read the report :pac:

Cheers P.

I just hope there is wifi between tomorrow & Thursday or I will just BURST without access to Twitter & Facebook!!! :D

Bad enough being 72 hours without :D:D

Can't be having these event reports backing up!

Here's the Moxie report http://triharderar.com/2015/07/event-triharderar-at-the-moxie-adventure-race-2015/

That's it now, a clean slate for the Beast report :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

that'll keep me busy reading while your SM goes quiet over the next few days

best of luck Sean, hope to see pics of you guys rocking across the finish line with huge exhausted smiles on your faces

72 hours racing and I put ON weight!!! FFS, what have I got to do :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

No pressure but when is the next installment? :P

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    No pressure but when is the next installment? :P

I've just got to the start of the coasteering section :)

I hope you are ready for this?

This was where we found the race the toughest but, hey, you know us, we just #TriHarder next time ;)

https://twitter.com/TriHarderAR/status/629021394492346368

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

That one was harder reading, though you made it read brighter than it was. It was a moment of truth for #TriHarderAR :cool:

• Advertisement

good reading Sean, keep up the reports

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

AKW wrote: »

"Shane and I had an interesting discussion on hydrodynamics" ..... Spot the nerds :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

First 3 entries read. Great reading.

So that's twice now you've come good at an ungodly time of night on the bike. What gives?

So that's twice now you've come good at an ungodly time of night on the bike. What gives?

the million $ question.

mossym wrote: »
    the million $ question.

Vampire that is a day walker too? :confused:

you noticed he didn't mention 5 of them started the race but 4 came back? Stopped for a snack half war around

The Finale! This is it, shorter than expected, but packed full of punch. Enjoy :)

https://twitter.com/TriHarderAR/status/629300346465030144

First 3 entries read. Great reading.

Thank P.

I don't know. As M says that is the big question. I'm in process of setting up a 1:2:1 with Barry, I have my own theories which I'll pen later.

I think it is to do with complete depletion of blood sugar.

Enjoy the report, no more bits to add :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Love the reports :D Nice work :D

Enjoy the report, no more bits to add :)

:confused::confused: what about the bit where you tell us when ye are going back out to finish all those bits you missed???

:D:D

just kidding. out of interest, i don't see how anybody could have completed it 100% in the timeline. two questions,

1) winning team, how much did they complete
    2) is that the idea in AR, have more than even the best can possibly do so that they too have to make choices?

• Advertisement

You missed a question mossy - when can I (mossy) do one? :pac:

You missed a question mossy - when can I (mossy) do one? :pac:

didn't miss it at all, holds no appeal for me at the moment. admire the lads for doing it, but it's not on my radar.

in terms of the questions, if it was competitive paint drying i'd probably find an interest in it:D

you noticed he didn't mention 5 of them started the race but 4 came back? Stopped for a snack half war around
    I think it is to do with complete depletion of blood

feck this is getting a bit more real than i expected...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sean

Loved that section! Caught it beautifully and through the reports you feel the down of the previous stage vs the UP UP UPPITY UP of the final section. I'll pen my version soon but it will simply accompany yours and Kate's. I think my dreams were following your report because last night I awoke in TA again with the last trek to go... I'm looking forward to proper sleep tonight! I'm going to put my bib on the dresser in front of the bed so that it is the first thing I see when I wake up :)
    :confused::confused: what about the bit where you tell us when ye are going back out to finish all those bits you missed???

:D:D

just kidding. out of interest, i don't see how anybody could have completed it 100% in the timeline. two questions,

2) is that the idea in AR, have more than even the best can possibly do so that they too have to make choices?

Some answers
    1) Adidas Terrex had a 3 hour diversion to A&E to get a team member stitched up but even they would not have cleared it. They skipped 2 of the bonus orienteering, 3-4 bonus bike CPs, a couple of the Galtee bonus CPs and did what they had to do on the final trail loops to win. So they hit 100% mandatory controls and probably 60-70% of the bonus stuff

In ITERA last year they won decisively. The race had 2 cust off and you had to make them to continue on the long course. It was advised that that if you were tight on those two cut off you would not get the whole last section done. 6 teams did manage to hit all controls though so it goes to show just how tough the Beast was this year.

2) Yes. The courses are designed with Elite PRO racing teams and Novice teams in mind. The Manadatory or "Short" course is designed to stretch teh less experienced teams and the "Full" or "long" course is designed to make even the best teams in the world think twice about it. ITERA in Wales last year was scored on overall time to complete plus the time penalties you collected en route. Time penalties for missing CPS ranged from 1 hour to 6 hours. It means that you could do as many or as few as you liked. There were some mandatory controls that all teams had to do with 90% of the course optional. Some teams opt to skip CPs or even whole stages

3) Never know #TriHarderAR may be recruiting a second team sometime!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

"Shane and I had an interesting discussion on hydrodynamics" ..... Spot the nerds :p:D

That's exactly what I thought ..... though whatever it takes to take your mind of things :)

You can be sure they will feature in a training weekend in the not too distant future ;)

Mike answered this, but my own 2c is that this format used in the Beast is probably the first time that it was done this way.

Normally it's a linear route with mandatory points and time cut offs. Miss a cutoff and you are short coursed by the organisers.

In this Beast there was only the mandatory points on the long kayak to hit, all others were optional.

You had to plan a route to gain the max points and strategically call for opting out of sections. Dot watchers not knowing this led to some really interesting blog posts (lazy feckers) and comments on the message board from people who thought we'd missed points or gone the wrong way.

If we felt the way to a point (The Vee) was going to be a time sink and not worth the points we'd recce it and bin the idea. If however the recce was Ok then it was worth it to follow that route around and add a few CP's to your totals.

(lazy feckers) .

i had to have some fun while i was stuck at a pc trying to keep your fan base happy. poor Mike's mum got quite worried at one stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Great report AKW, ye were rock solid :) Sounds like a fun adventure too ..... with the odd tough part thrown in. Seriously, well done :)

Do you ever think back and wonder to yourself "was, that really me?"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057128563

• Advertisement

Thursday

Nice little trail run to shake the body awake after a busy day https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/857023899
    6.5k nice and handy in the woods.

Friday

Such a beautiful morning, time for a swim in the waters at Renville. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/857520413
    1.1km nice and easy with plenty of time stopped to admire the pancake flat waters and the boats.

https://twitter.com/amphkingwest/status/629572060516364288/photo/1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement