Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Féileacán Mór

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Sunday

How times have changed. Years ago a free house meant one thing and one thing only. These days it turns into epic MTB spins through Connemara!!

I downloaded so walking maps of the Western Way this morning, laminated them up, packed the bike & gear and headed off to Oughterard. Some hairy moments on the wet greasy boardwalks, couple of slow motion falls as first time using the SPD's, one of which had me turtle back in a stream with my legs above me and the bike still attached :)

Threw in a loop of Derroura as had never done the trails before up there.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/860041456

Watch ran out, guts of 80k all in when done.

Nice Sunday session.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Dibbing....I guess that is you checking in at a checkpoint? And I assume all 4 of you have to dib in.....but is there a time limit between the first teammate and the last teammate dibbing in to the same checkpoint?

Loved the report and all the maps. And now I know about tracking dots and their correlation to the trackee's speed. Super work from the four of you!!!

Thanks Dory.

Dibbing, each person has their own datastick attached to their wrist

https://www.sportident.co.uk//equipment/images/images_large/1_SI-Cards.jpg

which you then use to 'punch' the control point

https://www.sportident.co.uk//equipment/images/images_large/70_Stations.jpg

This records that you actually did visit the control point as the GPS tracker which is a separate thing would light up a CP if you passed within 50m of it.

It used to be that all teammates must dib within 1 minute of each other and other teams would wait til 4 were done in sequence. This did not seem to be the case in Beast. We stuck to the spirit of the CP's and dibbed together but other teams seemed to arrive in 1's & 2's with no major time constraint on them.

Time to get my DCM plans back on track.

Recovery week in the plan at the moment so will follow that as much as possible and kick ass into gear next week. Will be on hols for a week so a bit of warm weather training to soften me up. ;)

Plans for autumn:

Achill ROAR
    Killarney Adventure Race
    DCM
    Connacht Orienteering Champs in November

For winter:
    Hopefully some of the Causeway Coast Adventure series.
    Hills, hills and some more hills on the bike
    Plenty of strength and conditioning work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I assume ITERA is the main goal for next year? Looks tasty :cool:

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    I assume ITERA is the main goal for next year? Looks tasty :cool:

I have no comment! ;)

#GoDark

10 days in the sun and not a single running step was taken.

Plenty of swimming in the pool and jumped at the chance to hire a kayak for a paddle along the coast. Had my son with me who decided we should paddle to Africa and catch fish with our hands on the way. :)

Home Friday / Saturday and out for a spin with the kids on the MTB in the rain Sunday. Nice Irish welcome home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

AKW wrote: »
    Had my son with me who decided we should paddle to Africa and catch fish with our hands on the way. :)

I hope ye went as far as Madagascar, there's some awesome animals hanging out there :)

Sounds like a great holibob and a well deserved rest :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    I hope ye went as far as Madagascar, there's some awesome animals hanging out there :)

Sounds like a great holibob and a well deserved rest :)

Hahahah!! We were between Marbella and Malaga and could see the African coastline as a silhouette at night. Nothing like it to keep the adventuring spark lit wondering "what's over there?" :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

You made my brother a very very happy man today after digging out a pair of shorts for him :) He was just on the phone singing your praises :)

• Advertisement

Nice one! If it's the lad I'm thinking of we'd a good aul chat about the state of the nation! :D

Ok, I'm still officially taking a break or at least that's the way to categorise it.

Had a bit of fun in the Kayak yesterday with my son, we'd a lads weekend watching Star Wars and eating pizza in front of the telly as the girls were in Sligo.

https://instagram.com/p/7AiE_nCLDA/?taken-by=amphkingwest

Just shy of 4k exploring the harbour and chatting about stuff. He wants to paddle to Sligo next and then on to America :D

This week is the start again of the start...

Forgive me for I have sinned...

It has been 4 weeks since my last run and that 5k today felt like I was being tortured!! :(

Downloaded a generic GC half marathon plan last night to my watch, it starts tomorrow - HR based but I felt the 'requirement' to mark my own cards with a trot this morning.

Is it a start? It's one run. Another run tomorrow and we'll see.... call it a new beginning :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

What HM are you doing?

Been meaning to update this:
    Plans for autumn:

Achill ROAR
    Killarney Adventure Race
    DCM

Connacht Orienteering Champs in November

Problem for us staffing weekends in the quieter seasons as the lads generally back at college.

Anyway no loss, haven't been training and definitely not about to do a Mr.T and horse my way around Dublin without the mileage being done.

Orienteering starts back this weekend with an event in Tuam on Sunday. Also a race in Lough Key which caught my eye which could be fun and camping for the clan.

We'll see.

What HM are you doing?

None planned. Just a training plan for a distance I like to re-motivate me to do something! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

Been meaning to update this:

Problem for us staffing weekends in the quieter seasons as the lads generally back at college.

Anyway no loss, haven't been training and definitely not about to do a Mr.T and horse my way around Dublin without the mileage being done.

Orienteering starts back this weekend with an event in Tuam on Sunday. Also a race in Lough Key which caught my eye which could be fun and camping for the clan.

We'll see.

had hoped to see you at achill roar,
    what race is on in lough key

woody1 wrote: »
    had hoped to see you at achill roar,
    what race is on in lough key

This one:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/131938477153053/

Aye plans changed and I had to ask a lad to bring the registration stuff up from the shop on Friday. Bit of panic stations :)

You should have gone to Lough Key. Great race

Did you win AG again? :cool:

I'd grass to cut yesterday. Hasn't been touched since July!! :eek: have the front to cut tonight :(

• Advertisement

LOL...back to reality with a bang. Well off an AG win. There goes my 15s of fame :pac:

Run Monday, run Tuesday

Today I feel like:

tumblr_mjh60qHnmS1qe2thio1_500.gif

Never taking a break again, ever!! :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

None planned. Just a training plan for a distance I like to re-motivate me to do something! :)

if you can target an early december one, i have one for you, on a Sunday and all :)

What you got in mind Mossy?

There I've said it :(

Now I have to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

There I've said it :(

Now I have to do something about it.

Nail your colours....where and when?

Where's it gone...where's it gone?

Ah way down at the bottom of the page.

Well, bike this week was a turbo session. Of more interest was the film I watched "Day of the Jackal"

300px-Day_of_the_jackal_ver1.jpg

Session was messing on the Tacx while trying a workout profile and playing with the power pedals.

Running... m'eh. Mrs AKW is back in the pool and doing club sessions now so with her organised I can work time around her much easier.

Starting Sat morning runs again in Octobe will give me impetus to get ass in gear and December runstreak to keep it going.

Winter plans made with a gun to my head.

Looking forward to it

inscription-MIP16-4399867.png

Pardonnez moi, pour la plus grand image

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ahhh what a lovely waste of time of a race in prep for your Challenge Galway tilt. While you are out getting ready to show-pony yourself in Paris, the rest will be biking the hills in deep Clare!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement