Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Féileacán Mór

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Ah but you don't know the real plan ;)

Challenge is about participation for me not competition. Bigger picture and as I've proven to myself this year an autumn marathon is not feasible as an option. Anyway who says I won't be biking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Kudos for nailing your colours to the mast Sean :) Looking forward to reading your training log for it

Neady83 wrote: »
    Kudos for nailing your colours to the mast Sean :) Looking forward to reading your training log for it

Thanks Neady. Nice to get words of support :)

PS CW is just worried cos he knows I'll kick his IM ass and his marathon PB, Oh wait!! ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

You have probably beaten my Marathon PB in training - its not very impressive....although I do think I have a good one in me if I knuckled down and went for it!

I have Pudsy practicing this alright for when yourself and the wife cross the line behind me

kid-giving-the-finger.jpg

Hahaha!!

:)

*Challenge Accepted*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

catweazle wrote: »
    Ahhh what a lovely waste of time of a race in prep for your Challenge Galway tilt. While you are out getting ready to show-pony yourself in Paris, the rest will be biking the hills in deep Clare!

So neither of you will be doing ironman specific training then.

Easy questions with hard answers kinda the opposite to calculus. That's what happened recently.

The what? when? why? where? how fat are you? type of thing that makes you take the rose tinted glasses off. Stuff I 'know' about but don't necessarily admit to myself or allow thoughts to occur about. Not quite pretending its not real but still not doing anything about it either. Complacent is a word that described my 'training'. I'm quite happy to be content with what I have managed to accomplish and tend to bask in the afterglow slightly too long. I also have handy excuses for not quite making it too!! :o

Just to bring this blog back to what it is supposed to represent for me:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSItqag9n1D0IIS7H0fOdFTp0xWGNkQSitblaPS7lzdkdCxwehaBg

I've spoken with a friend about managing my accountability. About pointing the finger at me and basically being that non-forgiving magic mirror that tells the truth and doesn't allow me to slide right on by. He told me exactly how overweight I was. No mincing of words there! :rolleyes:

This morning my stubborn self showed how unfit I was by running just shy of 10k 'easy' but at fit-me tempo HR. I ran it all the same, but that is not what this next phase of the journey is about....I've to figure that out yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Great post AKW :). You've set your goals for next year - Paris, Challenge Galway and ITERA. What is your goal within each goal and how will all your training fit/target each goal? i.g. does training for Paris help with Challenge and is Challenge a training of sorts for ITERA?

I'm interested because I'm starting to think about next year and how I can make better choices with the races/events I choose to do and which events I should target with my training.

Overweight? Really?

Thanks Neady.

Goals -
    Paris a weekend away with Mrs. AKW but I want to train to get this 3:!5 monkey off my back. It's not any younger I'm getting!! The danger then is 3:10...
    Challenge Galway is a 'fun' event for me. It's on the doorstep, the training for this will be an integral part of any training for ITERA which is the bigger goal.

Stars will need to align as a 5 day expedition event is a big ask on the family too.

Years ago I said I would never go long in triathlon due to the commitment needed for the training and I didn't want to go long for the sake of it. I gave up triathlon and look at it differently now. A 12 hour event is just that. 12 hours. The perspective afforded from the AR side of things is different.

I've learned the game is in the head. The body needs to be fit and willing but the race is in my head first.

All going well Rogaine will feature again. Past that there are loads of 'love to dos' but family / work / me are the triangle of needs to be satisfied first.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Overweight? Really?

Yep, really!! All tummy and torso. Always have been, not always going to be.

80kg is my goal. 83kg is lowest in livign memory and that was 3 years ago while training for Dublin. Normally sit around 86-88kg.

Today 89.1kg :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

'fun' me ar$e :pac: There's no way the thoughts of cw beating you will allow it to be fun ;)

pgibbo wrote: »
    'fun' me ar$e :pac: There's no way the thoughts of cw beating you will allow it to be fun ;)

That is very true!!

Gotta say my approach is as 'fun'. Not to denigrate anyone who trains fully on for IM distance but it is not the goal race for me. While I enjoy being back on my TT it is definitely a MTB future for me. I'll be jacked up and all competitive on the day but being realistic now :)

Sure he'd struggle to beat his way out of a wet paper bag anyway ;)

Well so so 'base' week.

Out orienteering with the kids on Sunday which was great fun. Home and Mrs. AKW sent me out on the bike for an hour before the rugby. What a game!

Started with a food diary on Monday - that's one way to stop you reaching for an extra biscuit or 4!! Just thinking about it makes a difference.
    Went for a 'record' run on Tuesday, longest in a while 9.8k :o

Wednesday - turbo which was a Tacx hill repeat session watching M:i:III Wednesday night Jnr into the bed beside me, woke me up with a "cuddle me daddy" request and that was that, he off snoring, me wide awake at 3am

Thursday - dropped kids to school and cycled into town to collect Mrs. AKW from an eye appointment. What a pleasure sailing along passing tons of cars in traffic :D
    Thursday night Jnr in again but this time tummy bug (whatever the other lads are bringing to this forum is contagious - yes BTH & Tunney, you both! ;) ) so 3:00am awake and reading to switch off again.

Friday - to be fair I had the gear laid out, head lamp ready and planned to go for a run early doors but wiped out. Long day in work today so it will eb run group tomorrow with a little tacked onto the end.

Next week should bring a change & more structure.

Got the email Friday. Now I know what that feeling is all about! :)

Not too bad, but then there's not a lot to work with at the moment. I'm not in the pool, and not that much time available doe to school run commitments etc etc but going to make this work.

Before Monday though, I'd run group on Saturday morning and my own run immediately afterwards so 10k in total before work. Seems like a lifetime ago since I was running in, doing a double group and home all before back into work (28-30k) but we'll get there again.

Great night out with Mrs AKW at Mundy in Claregalway Castle. Only a crowd of 180 or so, all seated but a great gig and really enjoyable.

Kicked out of the house for a spin before the game. Misjudged the timing and ended up doing intervals from Loughrea to make up time. 1:45 or so and 46k. Game was paused for me so had to avoid Twitter :eek: :eek: so as not to get updates.

Gutted for the team, but at least the semi & final won't be in the way of my training ;)

Roll on Monday!! :cool:

Not a bad week.

Back training to heart rate which I haven't really focussed on for a while. Just highlights how unfit I am at the moment. You really do lose it fast! :(

Anywho, it's a week of softening up I think. More about creating space and room for a training habit to reform.

Monday - treadmill run 40 mins 7.6k 146bpmAvg
    Tuesday - turbo session 50 mins 150bpmAvg 166wAvg power file https://flow.polar.com/training/analysis/252367838 4P's of power training :(
    Thursday - run 60mins supposed to be easy but felt really odd running slow so just ran steady 11.1k 149bpmAvg. I may be OK to allow HR out a little bit on account of being unfit, but expect this to start tumbling. Far cry from 13.4/14k at similar HR :(
    Friday - turbo 45 mins easy little niggle in knee (from last week pushing on Sunday I reckon) so binned this
    Saturday - run 30 mins with Zero35k group followed by 45 mins scheduled run 7.9k 149bpmAvg 5:37/km. Have a second one to squeeze in tonight before /after heading to Dublin.

Following on from the previous week I am now into Week 3 of a training-habit-rebuilding-program. This is the bit to make space in my work & life calendars to allow me to exercise.

Training proper will follow when this block of prep work is finished shortly.

So Week 0 finished up well with a few solid sessions concluding with a trip back East to Shankill for Dublin Marathon on 25th where Mrs AKW and I are either working (not this year) or in our traditional supporting positions along Foster’s Avenue.

On the Sunday morning I got a pass to join up with an old (younger) buddy who was bringing me on a #DevilsTrailRiders introduction induction to the MTB circuits around Carrick in Co. Wicklow.

On Monday afternoon after several hours spinning up Fosters Avenue and down towards Milltown and back and forth chasing and encouraging runners we got out for our easy runs together – though it was teaming rain, I’d a 40min session to do so it was time to suck it up. A nice lazy loop around the old neighbourhood and through Shanganagh park lead us back to the folks house and a couple of laps of the block to wrap it up.

Tuesday was a decent 55min turbo session. Some heavier gear slow cadence stuff to build leg drive. Interesting to see how the power blocks will change over the coming weeks.

Wednesday is a rest day though I will tweak this on the diary as Thursday & Friday especially can be quite hectic. Nice night time run on Thursday with an easy turbo on Friday morning. The kids were off on mid-term so no school run to break things up.

Saturday was my #Zero25k group first thing followed by my own session of 1 minute pieces after a 25 min warmup. Sunday was a miserable foggy day and I was sorely tempted to simply complete my 2hour +- 30 mins spin on the turbo in front of YouTube. Instead I dragged myself out on the MTB for an epic spin in the windmills!

It was not really what Coach had in mind but there might be a bit of lenience for a few weeks. On the other hand a couple of hours of tough cycling and climbing is exactly what I need right now (Captain's orders!)

This weeks email arrived on Sunday and it is more of the same with a little twist. I’ll give a little more detail on the actual sessions once everything settles down.

367679.jpg

11c per minute

You what? :confused:

What 120 hours of racing will break down to :D

• Advertisement

Just been pointed out to me that my other race for 2016 is likely to be 55c per minute

Based on entry fees or your salary???? :pac:

pgibbo wrote: »
    Based on entry fees or your salary???? :pac:

Entry fees.

Doing the reverse calculation it is roughly equated to a predicted retirement age of 87.6

Here Medbh you can copy & paste here --> <So not long to go eh?>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

AKW wrote: »
    11c per minute

Cheaper than a text message ..... what's not to love???? :D

Cheaper than a text message ..... what's not to love???? :D

Aaah but most use whatsapp nowadays for free.

Although everytime I hear people mentioning I 'whatsapped you' I'm thinking of Budweiser ;)

I need to take a break from my self-imposed 'need' to blog here. Too much going on at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement