Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Féileacán Mór

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    Are you watching your form, particularly your hips, on the speed work?

Yep in good shape.

I'd love to share the work file but Polar is sh1te at the moment for planning and overlaying the results.

Even though I did the planned workout on the watch the 'plan' still sits as a diary item and the 'workout' sits as a separate file with only automatic laps :(

Really :mad: :mad: and blew up on the forum about it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

AKW wrote: »
    Yep in good shape.

I'd love to share the work file but Polar is sh1te at the moment for planning and overlaying the results.

Even though I did the planned workout on the watch the 'plan' still sits as a diary item and the 'workout' sits as a separate file with only automatic laps :(

Really :mad: :mad: and blew up on the forum about it already.

Have you seen this thread?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057300308

tunney wrote: »

On it!! Thanks :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ok finally found out on AKW 17th blog the full details of that epic interval session that has got you chasing me down with pictures of salsa on every form of social media known to man.

3k warm up

Then 8 x 200m in on 55 seconds with 200m recovery after each one

3k warm down

Ok now I may have this wrong so correct me if I am mistaken

So 200ms at 4:35 pace then approx a 2 minute rest x 8.....so basically 1.6k @ 4.35 pace interspersed with 8 2 minute breaks.

Now if the above is correct, I will eat humble pie straight away..........the sub 40 10k is guaranteed, you should be aiming for a sub 38 minute 10k working off those reps

You didn't have to look too hard, its written out above ^^ ;)

There is 'planned' pace and 'achieved' pace. I reckon 3 weeks and I'll see the benefits of the speedwork coming in as the weight falls off too.

• Advertisement

Not a bad week 57km of running and a bit of biking, pretty all of my 'training' is done as commute these days. Unfortuntely more of a workstreak than runstreak, but hey ho, could be doing nothing.

I'm getting VO2 and Lactate testing done this Thursday. Been years since I last got tested so interested to see what the field test results will be. From what I remember last time it was VO2 54 and for some reason I recall threshold was 174bpm at 14kmph (not scientific on the speed, just my own observation.

Some runs early this week and an interval Tuesday leading to the test on Thursday.

Anyway stats this morning
    Resting HR 50
    Waist 99cm
    Weight 85kg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I'm getting VO2 and Lactate testing done this Thursday. Been years since I last got tested so interested to see what the field test results will be. From what I remember last time it was VO2 54 and for some reason I recall threshold was 174bpm at 14kmph (not scientific on the speed, just my own observation.

getting testing in a couple of weeks myself. will compare numbers with you:D

mossym wrote: »
    getting testing in a couple of weeks myself. will compare numbers with you:D

Where are you getting tested?

Surely we have to go to the same person so that calibration is consistent ;)

Didn't realise until yesterday evening the criteria for the VO2 testing this evening.
    Please note that no hard training should be undertaken 48 hours prior to test and that a light carbohydrate meal should be consumed 2 to 3 hours before the test and please ensure you are well hydrated. Please avoid tea, coffee and any other stimulants in the 2 to 3 hours prior to your test!

With the planned run home scuppered, so too was my runstreak.

Then re-reading this morning I spot the key word
    no hard training should be undertaken 48 hours
    and am kicking myself. I could have done with the trot home to clear the head.

Ah well, test tonight, and double easy day tomorrow as recovery. That'll sort it out.

Didn't realise until yesterday evening the criteria for the VO2 testing this evening.

With the planned run home scuppered, so too was my runstreak.

Then re-reading this morning I spot the key word and am kicking myself. I could have done with the trot home to clear the head.

Ah well, test tonight, and double easy day tomorrow as recovery. That'll sort it out.

thought that when i saw your tweet, i've trained up to the day of the test, just no interval sessions the day before.

last test i had to do my long run after the test. my test was bike based. that was a tough long run...:)

• Advertisement

TBH I was thinking that myself yesterday, sure a 9k trot is fine, thought it was overkill.

No excuses for not going hard tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What are you guys hoping to get from the testing? And how will you use the output from the testing?

pgibbo wrote: »
    What are you guys hoping to get from the testing? And how will you use the output from the testing?

For me I've almost always trained with HR and having the test done updates me from stats I've used from 7 years ago.

I just need a kick in the arse too and this is part of it. Far too easy to let myself off easy and I find numbers and number targets are my motivating tools.

Re using the output, I can tailor my HR zones as per the testing and use them to push myself on in training. As can be seen from my commuting, I'm more comfortable ticking off easy kms in big numbers when really I should be making proper tempo and interval sessions out of them (at least the homeward bound ones).

as i was working without a power meter in the past it mapped my HR zones pretty exactly versus max, rather than relying on an element of guesswork. it was also the only chance i got to measure power so was a way of judging power without having a power meter which is obviously not a factor now that i have one. it does map HR to Power to thresholds very exactly, which is useful for zones

the other thing it gave was a more detailed analysis of where fitness was. First time i did it, it showed up an abnormally low VO2 (somewhere in the twenties) although my other numbers were pretty good. second test showed this was an abnormality, maybe sick or something, somewhere in the fifties. What i could tell from the two tests though was that while my endurance was up, my ability to go hard for short periods and recover was diminished. first test i could go very close to threshold for above average durations and then recover quickly, by the second test that had dropped off, but i could hold a higher power level for longer. reflected a change in training approach, so made sense, but still suggested i'd benefit from more sprint/high cadence/all out intervals.

other thing it is really good for is calorie burn per effort. i know exactly how many calories i burn for a given effort, makes it easier to judge intake for longer races.

all info fed back to coach. it's just more data to fill in the picture of what works/doesn't work. would i drive to dublin to do it? probably not. is it useful data when i can get it done half a km from my house? i think so.

Come on AKW, we are all waiting to crunch the numbers!

catweazle wrote: »

yup, especially after some twitter teasers on thursday. I've t'd it up for you now

catweazle wrote: »
    yup, especially after some twitter teasers on thursday. I've t'd it up for you now

Yet to get the full report. But the rundown is that Matt was very impressed that this fat old man can run and has untapped potential.

His words "things are going to happen very fast" indicates that there was a broad base before threshold was reached, recovery between ramps was swift with a rapidly falling HR indicating general fitness.

Something about sub40 being well within my capabilities and marathon potential of sub3 definitely on the cards if I train right.

Anything less than 150/152bpm and I'm not even reving the engine. Less than 2 mmol of lactate.

Yet to get the full report. But the rundown is that Matt was very impressed that this fat old man can run and has untapped potential.

His words "things are going to happen very fast" indicates that there was a broad base before threshold was reached, recovery between ramps was swift with a rapidly falling HR indicating general fitness.

Something about sub40 being well within my capabilities and marathon potential of sub3 definitely on the cards if I train right.

Anything less than 150/152bpm and I'm not even reving the engine. Less than 2 mmol of lactate.

article-2242722-1657FE04000005DC-339_634x474.jpg

Actually CW it would do you no harm to see what your potential is. You never know, if you pushed yourself you might break a sweat :p

what does that translate to in V02(ml/kg/min)?

• Advertisement

Gave me the option of VO2 test or the threshold test and I went for threshold.

My VO2 was measured at 54 previously and based on watch tests over the past years sits around the 54-56 mark.

Matt advised based on results, genetics etc it won't vary much and the threshold would be a better option for me to zoom in on my zones.

The HR file is here. I didn't have my footpod on but had his and will see his file later today.

https://flow.polar.com/training/analysis/30516628

Essentially if I train in the zone right zone I am developing tolerance to lactate. As tolerance / flushing improves relative speeds at that HR will fall and falling weight will also reduce the resistance at those HR making effort easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

How much was the test or did you get a friends rate? Were you there for long?

Sub 40 in Kilcornan still on so?

How much was the test or did you get a friends rate? Were you there for long?

Sub 40 in Kilcornan still on so?

For the lactate test €100. Was best part of hour and half all told, test 45/50 mins, chat / intro and weigh in. (I question the accuracy of his scales!! ;) )

Sean,

Please find attached a copy of your Lactate Threshold Test Report.

Your test results show you have a big margin for improvement and are really exciting. Start using the new zones and the suggested training plan and you’ll soon start to notice an improvement in your fitness.

Please stay in touch and let me know how you progress and I’ll happily make some amendments to your training after the initial 4 to 6 week phase.

Regards,

Matt

#justsaying

Lactate Threshold – 4mmol/litre at a speed of 4:03 mins/km at a heart rate of 163bpm.

It is at this level that the bulk of your training should take place to ensure firm foundations to

the rest of your weekly/monthly structure can be achieved

Read em and weep CW :p

Read em and weep CW :p

Bulk of your training at 4.03 pace - Ha he must have known you do about an hour a week. I am looking forward to the next few training reports

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Did he mean the bulk of your 20% hard efforts should be at 4:03 / 163bpm, or the bulk of your training, period? If the latter where's the room for the 80% easy efforts at a much lower AHR and avg pace?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Did he mean the bulk of your 20% hard efforts should be at 4:03 / 163bpm, or the bulk of your training, period? If the latter where's the room for the 80% easy efforts at a much lower AHR and avg pace?

Good question and something I was mulling over running last night.

Basically forgetting the pace as this was treadmill pace testing, Matt reckons add 15-20 sec per km on for 'realtime' pace, working at 163bpm is my Lactate Threshold at 4mmol/litre.
    Running at speeds below the LT can be useful for warming up and for some easy “recovery” running, whereas running at speeds above the LT stimulate improvements in fitness.
    Most of your shorter duration, steady running, should be done at speeds close to, or just above, your LT.

For me
    Easy / recovery | Zone 1 | 144-150bpm
    Threshold running | Zone 2 | 151-163bpm
    Tempo running | Zone 3 | 164-170bpm
    Interval Running | Zone 4 | 171bpm +

These are replacing the traditional Zones of 1-5 (4 is the new 5, 3 is 4 etc)

So based on a 5 run week he's suggested for the next couple of weeks to see how I respond
    x2 Zone 1 runs 50mins
    x2 Threshold runs Zone 2 40 mins
    x1 Long recovery Zone 1 90mins

• Advertisement

MojoMaker wrote: »

I'll ping him a message but I think the bulk of the training should be at or below this level, ie don't exceed 163bpm so I would assume this is the 80% section and about it is the 'hard' work intervals & tempo work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement