Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Féileacán Mór

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Chiming in a wee bit late, but I'd also be interested joining in on Saturday mornings - my route usually is Frenchfort - Oranmore - Maree - Clarinbridge - Moneymore - Frenchfort. Quite elastic and easy to adjust, a few short cuts possible. Happy to try something new.

On the Tuesday evening trail runs: are you heading out this week? And what time are you leaving the Colga pitches? The 1 week full board padding needs to be addressed.

Cool. That's a nice scelp of a run there GSH, 25-30k?

Heading out this tuesday, meet at 8 ready to go by 10 past at the latest, I normaly trot down from the house so don't like hanging around or keeping people waiting.

catweazle wrote: »
    What part of you cant have a social life until after June 28th does she not understand :mad:

Want me to have a word?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

AKW wrote: »
    Heading out this tuesday, meet at 8 ready to go by 10 past at the latest, I normaly trot down from the house so don't like hanging around or keeping people waiting.

Great, I'll be there - fixed the head torches last night.
    Cool. That's a nice scelp of a run there GSH, 25-30k?

Usually between 24 and 27k, depends whether I go through Kilcornan by Colga or straight to Casey's Cross via Reddington Woods.

Are you running from Clarinbridge to work on Saturdays? Or are you starting in Oranmore? Either would suit me.

Usually between 24 and 27k, depends whether I go through Kilcornan by Colga or straight to Casey's Cross via Reddington Woods.

Is that the section of woods where the hotel / apartment block was being built? What's it like in there? Any decent trails?
    Are you running from Clarinbridge to work on Saturdays? Or are you starting in Oranmore? Either would suit me.

If meeting CW I'll probably cycle to Oranmore and run from there otherwise I run in giving a nice 9.5k start to the day.

If option 2 I'd probably look to run in then out the Coast road and loop back from Renmore or something like that giving 20-25k

Is that the section of woods where the hotel / apartment block was being built? What's it like in there? Any decent trails?

No trails there I think, but don't know for sure - I just run along the backroads.
    Judging from google maps, that little piece of wood is too small to feature trails of notable size though.

If meeting CW I'll probably cycle to Oranmore and run from there otherwise I run in giving a nice 9.5k start to the day.

If option 2 I'd probably look to run in then out the Coast road and loop back from Renmore or something like that giving 20-25k

That's cool both would work for me, at least in parts.

• Advertisement

Just for a change I swam today!!

Bar the 300m in the Beast my first pool session in at least 12 months. Straight 1600m in 34mins.

2 swims in a week!!

Slow as a brick but I was playing with the new swim metrics on my watch, which is waterproof (and showing no signs of condensations). A couple more of these and I'll sort something structured out in a couple of weeks. Not a whole lot happening run wise or bike wise this week. See if I can change this a bit.

Daughter continues to come into our room / bed at night so plenty of awake at stupid oclock stuff. Told her the other day to count sheep if she wakes up and she might stay in her bed.

Asked her at breakfast this morning "what happened, did you not count sheep?".
    To which she replys "yes daddy, I was counting the sheep and one of them ran away, I followed him to your room"

What. Can. You . Say?? :D:D

Chip off the old block.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I’ve got news for you. You aren’t that important. Also, with you being from Ireland, you will never understand the concept of privacy and individualism as I do as an older American. If you can’t add anything to the thread, go back to updating your Blog, Google+, Youtube, and whatever other vanity accounts you have. You choose to mock me, you will get it back. No wonder you can’t break 40 minutes for a 10K (something I was doing at 56 years old).

tunney wrote: »
    I’ve got news for you. You aren’t that important. Also, with you being from Ireland, you will never understand the concept of privacy and individualism as I do as an older American. If you can’t add anything to the thread, go back to updating your Blog, Google+, Youtube, and whatever other vanity accounts you have. You choose to mock me, you will get it back. No wonder you can’t break 40 minutes for a 10K (something I was doing at 56 years old).

My friend with the foil hat who got disgruntled by me calling BS on his Polar conspiracy theory. He missed Tunney's memo about Polar & Nokia.

So I've been swimming twice this week. Slow as a brick, not that I was ever fast but simply swimming and looking for something to click again.

It'll take a while. I've no swimming goals so just tipping away to get fitter.

Trail Tuesday had a nice 10k racked up in Kilcornan last night. Mrs AKW had Homeland paused & was waiting patiently for me to arrive in at 9:30.

All went well until I sat on the remote 10 mins from the end and knocked the Sky box off. Will be the player today to carch the end.

• Advertisement

Trail Tuesday had a nice 10k racked up in Kilcornan last night.

Thanks for leading the trail run again, I really enjoyed the last 2 weeks. Will definitely be back - next week in new shoes. Trails in the dark are just so much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

So I've been swimming twice this week. Slow as a brick, not that I was ever fast but simply swimming and looking for something to click again.

It'll take a while. I've no swimming goals so just tipping away to get fitter.

Trail Tuesday had a nice 10k racked up in Kilcornan last night. Mrs AKW had Homeland paused & was waiting patiently for me to arrive in at 9:30.

All went well until I sat on the remote 10 mins from the end and knocked the Sky box off. Will be the player today to carch the end.

What the hell were you doing up and entering the above post at 05:20??? :eek:

pgibbo wrote: »

"Daddy you forgot to give me a kiss when I went to bed, I want it now"

or similar i suspect

Awake since 4 after being landed on by a 4 year old. Great time to catch up on tons of stuff.

I have a lot to be thankful for. Finn very rarely wakes before 6am.

yet...................

yet...................

LOL.....don't go hexing me!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Rachel the same, hardly ever see her before 7. and even then, she just wants to crawl into our bed and turn on tv, she'll gladly stay tucked up for another couple of hours

you guys need to get one of these, best thing we ever bought, she knows it's not morning until it is "sunshine on her clock", and if she appears before that she'll be going back to her own bed

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Gro-Company-HJ008-Gro-Clock/dp/B002APJCNE

mossym wrote: »
    Rachel the same, hardly ever see her before 7. and even then, she just wants to crawl into our bed and turn on tv, she'll gladly stay tucked up for another couple of hours

you guys need to get one of these, best thing we ever bought, she knows it's not morning until it is "sunshine on her clock", and if she appears before that she'll be going back to her own bed

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Gro-Company-HJ008-Gro-Clock/dp/B002APJCNE

Think AKW tried this but with a V800.

"When the V800 works with a power meter properly you can get up"

"When the V800 works with a power meter properly you can get up"

why did that make me think of this?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2sHqLzsepH0zKEUoD2ZYbWtvQlLbIT6WHosrAsjHQ75zIex0h

poor kid will never get out of bed

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    why did that make me think of this?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2sHqLzsepH0zKEUoD2ZYbWtvQlLbIT6WHosrAsjHQ75zIex0h

poor kid will never get out of bed

Love that story, poor lad is too ill to go to work, has to stay in bed all day. Soon as you mention chocolate he's bouncing around the room though.

Been a while!

I've been tipping away for the past few weeks with an organised trail run on Tuesday nights and my own haphazard running and swimming as and when it fits the timelines. Nothing structured as it doesn't stick with the long workweeks.

Since start of December the runstreak has pulled me into a little bit of structure as I just have to get it done. May be junk(ish) running at the moment but its planed that the habit will re-stick and I can work off it.

Week 1 is done, but almost came undone as Friday faced with a drive to Dublin after work meant a late run. Hwever, forgetting stuff meant home first so run in the woods, followed by drive, arrive at folks 12:30am to be kicked away by young lad at 4 = very little rest.

Long day Saturday meeting and greeting cousins & uncles from far and wide but jogged a run around Powerscourt before the party started. Tired legs not wanting to cooperate.

Dad's 70th surprise party til all hours of Sunday morning, followed by early rise and wandering aimessly around and drive home to Galway. Kids slept in car so wide awake demanding the tree and decorations up, so duly done followed by a collapse on the sofa which was a close call on the runstreak.

Forklift regired to rise me out of the chair and into a cold blustery wet night to simply tick that box.

Week 1 done 52.4k, just under 5 hours of running.

I promise week2 will be better!!

Seeing as how the kids have kicked me awake again and dropped off snoring I'll bore ye with a run by run update.

Was planning a conservative run tonight but got into it once I was out.

Bitterly cold night so wrapped up in layers like a moving billboard of product placement.

As I trotted the first km I thought of doing a pyramid just to be interesting so did a fast k followed by easy followed by 2k fast (tempoish) followed by easy.

1 05:19 133 AvgHR
    2 04: 21 153 AvgHR
    3 05:04 151 AvgHR
    4 04:14 161 AvgHR
    5 04:25 162 AvgHR
    6 05:18 150 AvgHR

After this was the turnaround point which brought me past the Craughwell AC track. Always wondered about this dust track so took opportunity / distraction to run a lap & measure it.

Yep its 400m around the inside.

So.

7 05:40 140 Avg HR

Ran threshold home for 4:40 - 4:50 with Avg HR ~150 and cool down last k.

Total 12.48k in 1:01; 4:55 AvgP; 152 AvgHR; 1034kcak 26% from fat; RI 58

I get so distracted that I forget to update this little thing of a log that is supposed to keep my training honest.

It's so easy to let it slip, slide away. Skipping a day leads so easily to a week or 4 of doing little or nothing. "Mañana, mañana" so easily becomes the refrain.

I'm often always motivated by what others are doing and it helps if I do something to motivate them to motivate me kinda like a Gerry Maguire senario :)

This is how #TrailTuesday, #AKWRunstreak and #Zero25k came about. By organising a group event I 'encourage' myself to not back down. I know I have to organise my Tuesday so I meet the group, I get my exercise. I know with Runstreak I 'have' to help motivate others and by default motivate myself.

Zero25k I get a great kick out of it. By encouraging others to begin I get to reaffirm the realisation of how fortunate I am that I run.

I choose to run. How I motivate myself to run may come across as selfish but we all need different tricks to keep going sometimes.

So for the past month, bar a break with a tummy bug for a day, I have been training away and now I am building my base mileage through to the New Year when the next generation of Zero25k runners will start and my next group challenge begins for the experienced runners.

On a personal level January brings an opportunity to run 75k of the Western Way as a relaxed day out with friends. Plan is 10-12 hours of easy pace with crew at point along the way.

Something different :)

On a personal level January brings an opportunity to run 75k of the Western Way as a relaxed day out with friends. Plan is 10-12 hours of easy pace with crew at point along the way.

Something different :)

75k?you getting ultrafied on us?

Ah just training long, experimenting on myself somewhat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hello...?

latest?cb=20080515210612

Gone dark ;)

Gone dark ;)

Ok, I'm not really Gone Dark (read the Beast race reports for the reference triharderar.com ;) ) and have been exercising away over the winter.

Thankfully quite a busy period before Christmas and while bug stopped my runstreak I kept going with my run / bike commuting. Not a whole lot of time outside of that to 'train' as very much full on with work and it would be 'train and not see the family' or 'see the family and not train' so commutexercise is the compromise.

No weight gain thankfully over the break which was unexpectedly extended to a whole 5 days off over New Year as one of the guys was available to fill in. (Didn't know what to do with myself with free time)

Into Jan and looking at things again.

Gonna make things easier for myself and lose one or two of the blogs (x2 work related & training & here) cut down my Facebook admins (x10 pages at last count) and focus on updating here and migrate my training elements to the triharder site where the team can develop their individual blogs.

Training will increase, focussed mainly on run and bike fitness. Swim I can dip in and out of, I don't seem to get a whole lot faster or slower with / without training.

A side project is to build an outdoor jungle gym at home with scaffold piping and work on strength a whole lot more. Big guy with lot of muscle but not functional as no longer manual work involved. Clambering around on trees and pipes will change that.

Onwards...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

No weight gain thankfully over the break which was unexpectedly extended to a whole 5 days off over New Year as one of the guys was available to fill in. (Didn't know what to do with myself with free time)

Umm....train? ;):)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement