Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Féileacán Mór

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Umm....train? ;):)

Now there's an idea!! :)

Only thing was my 4 year old son was so delighted every morning when he realised I didn't "have to go to work today?" I enjoyed the time off from everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

AKW wrote: »
    Now there's an idea!! :)

Only thing was my 4 year old son was so delighted every morning when he realised I didn't "have to go to work today?" I enjoyed the time off from everything.

You've got your priorities dead on then!!! :)

Into the pool, first time in a while. No lane hoggers, place was empty so lovely unbroken, steady swim.

Day | Sport | Distance | Time | Pace | Cadence | Other
    Tuesday | Swim | 2000m | 00:33:57 | 1:40/100 Avg | 38 s/m Avg | 41 SWOLF

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Did you grow fins? Last time we were swimming you couldn't do 10x100 off 2:00 and now you're swimming at 1:40 per 100 for 33mins straight. Fair play! :cool:

*rushes off to check pool length settings*

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Did you grow fins? Last time we were swimming you couldn't do 10x100 off 2:00 and now you're swimming at 1:40 per 100 for 33mins straight. Fair play! :cool:

Believe it or not, that was probably at least a year ago if not more P. I hardly swam a stroke while working in Limerick and haven't been a Renmore member at all last year. Joined Maldron to use pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Yep, so some transformation in a year of no swimming ;)

Feck ya anyway!!!

Just checked, watch had wrong length set for the pool :(

Into the pool, first time in a while. No lane hoggers, place was empty so lovely unbroken, steady swim.

Tuesday | Swim | 1600m | 00:33:57 | 2.00/100 Avg | 38 s/m Avg | 41 SWOLF

Ah well, it was nice while it lasted!

Settings now correct. And it was nice to just slot into the pool and just swim without thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Feck ya anyway!!!

Just checked, watch had wrong length set for the pool :(

The fact that you posted the original numbers without batting an eyelid suggests you're an out-an-out AR guy now;)

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    The fact that you posted the original numbers without batting an eyelid suggests you're an out-an-out AR guy now;)

Haha true!! I never was one for obsessing over numbers or stats anyway, get the job done and get out.

I'm more annoyed that I only did 1600 as stayed going to hit 2000. Didn't matter to me what pace.

Ah well. I'll have to go again so ;)

Lovely night last night for some woodland running in the snow.

Not posting any info til I check my stats first! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Lovely night last night for some woodland running in the snow.

Not posting any info til I check my stats first! :)

Happened me before around 2005/2006. Was hitting 29-30 for 50m in a short course pool. Given I only learnt to swim in 2003/2004 I thought I could go places. Was excited about it and posted on my log on the old TI boards. Wes Murphy pointed out that the clock in the Markewitz pool was slow and took about 1:15 to do a 1:00 revolution.

Gutted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I love the faith we all have in AKW that when we read his original post we all went. WTF? No way!! ;)

I love the faith we all have in AKW that when we read his original post we all went. WTF? No way!! ;)

Thanks for the support fellow-Polar-person :D

Thanks for the support fellow-Polar-person :D

It was just the disappointment that you were faster than me ;)

It was just the disappointment that you were faster than me ;)

First you giveth, then you taketh away.

Busy planning workouts for you to throw on your watch. Did you see the coach link on the group earlier? I should be able to do those directly on your profile til you get the hang of it.

Literally just getting to sit down and trawl through everything now. Spotted the coach thing earlier but haven't had a look at it yet...judging by the weather out there tonight I'll be doing my 1k's on the treadmill tomorrow :(

Tuesday | Swim | 1600m | 00:33:57 | 1:40/100 Avg | 38 s/m Avg | 41 SWOLF
    |Trail Run | 8.84km | 00:56:10 | 6.20/km ||
    Wednesday |||||
    Thursday | Swim | 2000m | 00:43:00 | 2.01/100 Avg | 40 s/m Avg | 40 SWOLF

Wednesday was a write off.
    Thursday pool length right, steady swim, couple of brief stops as sharing pool. Will look to work on drills etc in a week or two as I get general swim fitness up.

Still slow as a brick but that's me anyway.

Thursday night is date night so off to see Taken3. Good movie and decent 3rd installment. Took me a while to figure out who was Taken though. Mrs. AKW said "his wife was taken from him when she was murdered" didn't think of that.

Anyway fecking around with workouts and created one on mobile, synced to watch and ran to work. All set up in a matter of minutes.

Warmup and then x10 on x10 off and warmdown.

Annoying thing is we don't have session laps info yet so you zoom into see each section. Couldn't be bothered. Happy with the sustained pace. Good session, will repeat.

Wednesday |||||
    Friday | Run | 9.5k | 00:46:22 | 04:52/km | 86spm | 53 RI

• Advertisement

Thursday night is date night so off to see Taken3. Good movie and decent 3rd installment. Took me a while to figure out who was Taken though. Mrs. AKW said "his wife was taken from him when she was murdered" didn't think of that.

Anyway fecking around with workouts and created one on mobile, synced to watch and ran to work. All set up in a matter of minutes.

Warmup and then x10 on x10 off and warmdown.

Annoying thing is we don't have session laps info yet so you zoom into see each section. Couldn't be bothered. Happy with the sustained pace. Good session, will repeat.

Wednesday |||||

Faster than I thought. But you heat doesn't go very high :)

tunney wrote: »
    Faster than I thought. But you heat doesn't go very high :)

Fat old guys can run too ;)

Run group this morning so up an at 'em for the run in followed by Week 2 Session 4.

Up to Sligo this afternoon so hopefully time in the morning for a run before travelling back to Galway. Low run & bike week as no chance of commuting mileage due to weather :(

Wednesday |||||
    Saturday | Run | |9.5k | 00:47:41 | 5:00/km | 87spm | 56 RI
    | 3.7k | ||

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hi AKW. :) May I ask you a shoe question? My shoe of choice for many years has been the Asics Gel-Nimbus, in part because I have had limited exposure to different brands of shoes, and in part because I thought they were doing a good job for me. However, a few months ago I happened to try out a pair of Adidas adizero - boston boost.....and I LOVE them. They feel so good on my feet and legs, and are so incredibly light. Since I've been wearing these shoes, I've even started enjoying running in my Mizuno Wave Rider 17, but my fave is hands down the adizero.....and now I'm hating my Asics - they feel so clunky and like I'm running in high heels. So my question to you is: is there any value in continuing to run in my Asics? Also, do you sell adizeros? Thanks!

Hi AKW. :) May I ask you a shoe question?

Of course!! I may as well fill this log with useful information :)
    My shoe of choice for many years has been the Asics Gel-Nimbus, in part because I have had limited exposure to different brands of shoes, and in part because I thought they were doing a good job for me. However, a few months ago I happened to try out a pair of Adidas adizero - boston boost.....and I LOVE them. They feel so good on my feet and legs, and are so incredibly light. Since I've been wearing these shoes, I've even started enjoying running in my Mizuno Wave Rider 17, but my fave is hands down the adizero.....and now I'm hating my Asics - they feel so clunky and like I'm running in high heels. So my question to you is: is there any value in continuing to run in my Asics?

First the 'why?' is important.

If you look up 'clunky' in the English to Japanese dictionary the translation is ASICS. :rolleyes: Unfortunatley as a shoe brand it is the most commonly used adjective applied to its footwear.

This is because historically the ASICS shoes were quite stiff torsionally through the length of the shoe as well as across the foot.

Developments in more recent years lead to the introduction of guidance lines to allow the shoe splay properly and reducing the trustic plate gave more midfoot flexibility. ASICS however still remain a solid shoe especially at the upper end of the spectrum (Nimbus / Kayano etc)

The Adizero is extremely cushioned and flexible from front to back and side to side so a world apart from the Nimbus. No surprise that you like them in fariness as anyone clocking up big miles wants comfort & lightness.

The Mizuno Rider has been reawakened in more than just yourself around here ;) It is light, and flexible yet still retains a certain balance of torsional stiffness which makes it a great runners shoe.

I've blogged a bit about theories on ground contact and varying shoes, height differentials etc so to summarise and offer advice. I would say the Nimbus still has a place in your stable but really in the area of the long steady / slow paced stuff. Stick to the Adis for speed work and races and use the Rider for tempo and medium to long runs. Keep switching things around.

Train heavy / race light is a great maxim to treat your footwear with too :D
    Also, do you sell adizeros? Thanks!

I do have some limited stock, not a shoe brand I'll be backing extensively though as big brands tend to force independents to be less independent with their opinions of what works / doesn't work as a footwear option. (Not just Adi; Nike, Reebok etc all part of the same cabal. IMO)

The Mizuno Rider has been reawakened in more than just yourself around here ;) It is light, and flexible yet still retains a certain balance of torsional stiffness which makes it a great runners shoe.

Train heavy / race light is a great maxim to treat your footwear with too :D

I had the Mizuno Wave Rider 17. Won them off Damo in Bray. Otherwise I would never ever have bought them. I didn't think I would like them but I did. I didn't love them but I really liked them. AKW set me up with a Rider 18 and I can hand on heart say I love them. I will be buying more of them.

yes I like my kinvaras, mirages etc etc but I think a higher ramp shoe is always required and the Rider 18 is a sweet shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

.... I think a higher ramp shoe is always required....

If we're going off topic, why do you believe this?? I ask because I don't own a higher ramp shoe and haven't run in a higher ramp shoe in a couple of years. Should I buy a higher ramp shoe (question to Tunney not AKW who will say yes just to get me in the door :) )

Kicked out of my own log!!

BTH wrote: »
    If we're going off topic, why do you believe this?? I ask because I don't own a higher ramp shoe and haven't run in a higher ramp shoe in a couple of years. Should I buy a higher ramp shoe (question to Tunney not AKW who will say yes just to get me in the door :) )

yes i was in the same boat as you once. All 4mm or 0mm shoes. And it was working for me. However I found that a higher ramp shoe helped me when my patella tendons complained or my achilles. When my legs needed a little more TLC than normal. Now if I get up in the morning if my legs creak or complain I'll reach for the higher ramp to get the job done. more forgiving I find. yes I could bull on in the lower ramp or skip the run - neither as preferable as an enjoyable run in higher ramped shoes.

I still own four pairs of 4mm for every higher ramp ones but its something I will maintain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

yes i was in the same boat as you once. All 4mm or 0mm shoes. And it was working for me. However I found that a higher ramp shoe helped me when my patella tendons complained or my achilles. When my legs needed a little more TLC than normal. Now if I get up in the morning if my legs creak or complain I'll reach for the higher ramp to get the job done. more forgiving I find. yes I could bull on in the lower ramp or skip the run - neither as preferable as an enjoyable run in higher ramped shoes.

I still own four pairs of 4mm for every higher ramp ones but its something I will maintain.

Got ya, so I don't have to worry about it till I get old. Sound. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement