Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Féileacán Mór

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

tunney will give a scientific reason no doubt, but i'm of the same mind based on experience (my own, not what's been picked up from coach)

tried running in a low drop shoe only. worked for a while, got injured. low ramp shoes stretch the muscles more/differently. running especially when tired in low ramp caused Achilles pain, and also pain to the side of my ankle, which was what had me hobbling at lost sheep last year (well one of two things).

doing the easy stuff in high ramp ( i have ghosts and ravennas(these help with the side ankle pain)), and also using them when i know the legs are tired and form isn't going to be good, while saving the low ramp stuff for pace work and races has helped no end.

i'd imagine if your form is always good it's probably not needed. but definitely varying up the shoes and varying the load on muscles helps me a lot, and i've convinced was a big factor in me getting through the december run streak, running 31 days in a row was unthinkable for me a few months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

BTH wrote: »
    Got ya, so I don't have to worry about it till I get old. Sound. :)

Not quite. Had I known what I know now I would have come back from an injury in 2011 in about 1/4 the time.

Its all about geometry and where the stresses end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

BTH wrote: »
    Got ya, so I don't have to worry about it till I get old. Sound. :)

You looking to get your ear clipped young man?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I feel like a dinosaur here. I run in my Nimbus all the time except for races when I throw on my Kinvaras. Time for a change I think :D I'll start by dusting off my Triumphs and go from there. I see a visit to Oranmore in the near future.

AKW wrote: »
    You looking to get your ear clipped young man?? :p

don't sweat it. give him a few more weeks, he'll be getting no sleep , will feel like he turned 50 overnight, and he'll come back looking for sympathy, and we'll all put on our high ramp shoes, kick our heels up on the table, lean back and laugh heartily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

What ramp would a shoe have to be considered high ramp?

joey100 wrote: »

my ravennas are 8, i have ghosts too which are 10 or 12?

joey100 wrote: »

Not sure if I am allowed answer here :rolleyes: ...but what the hell here goes nothing.

I would consider anything 10mm and above to be high ramp. Its the difference between the depth of cushioning at the forefoot and the depth of cushioning at the heel that affects the alignment attitude of the feet when running.

Higher ramp means you are pitched more forwards when running but generally equates more heel contact on landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mossym wrote: »
    don't sweat it. give him a few more weeks, he'll be getting no sleep , will feel like he turned 50 overnight, and he'll come back looking for sympathy, and we'll all put on our high ramp shoes, kick our heels up on the table, lean back and laugh heartily.

Teething starting in our house.
    I may not be laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Not sure if I am allowed answer here :rolleyes: ...but what the hell here goes nothing.

I would consider anything 10mm and above to be high ramp. Its the difference between the depth of cushioning at the forefoot and the depth of cushioning at the heel that affects the alignment attitude of the feet when running.

Higher ramp means you are pitched more forwards when running but generally equates more heel contact on landing.

So higher ramp is like running on high heels?

Thanks for your response to my earlier inquiry......many, many posts back!! :)

• Advertisement

Better put in some sort of record for the week instead of talking about footwear ;)

Bike commuting all BG work on the MTB sitting on the hills and grinding away.
    Only run so far this week was a threshold run 10mins w/up followed by 40 mins Zone 3. Didn't have time to warm down properly as into work right after.

Day | Sport | Distance | Time | Pace | Cadence | Other
    Tuesday | Bike | 9.5k | Commute||
    |Swim | 750m | Splash & Dash with some kick drills|||
    |Bike | 9.5k | Commute||
    Wednesday | Bike| 9.5k | Commute||
    | Bike | 9.5k | Commute ||
    Thursday |Run | 10.36km | 00:50:07 | 4:50/km | 86 spm |
    Friday | |||||

Just to add some extra commute distance and run on Saturday morning.

This early run I put down as a Zone1 easy run. From next week I have a couple of guys meeting up after the beginners group to do a few extra km before work so this will stretch and once I have Sat morning help I can get back to a 30k Sat morning run again.

First time in ages we have a sitter organised for Sunday so Mrs AKW & I can both get out together. Plan is about an hour cycle to Loughrea, I'll be on MTB with my pack, and then to do an hour or so hill running checking out some routes followed by spin home.

Combination of exercise / date / work all rolled into one :)

|Bike | 9.5k | Commute||
    Friday | Bike | 9.5k | Commute |||
    Saturday | Run | 9.5k | 00:47:52 | 05:02/km | 86 spm|
    | Run | #Zero25k Group ||||

Didn't quite go to plan. Discovered Mrs AKW had a broken spoke in her planned bike so had to dig out her TT bike and get it ready.

Still we did the main bike bit that I was hoping we would but just had to leave out the run (for today)

|Bike | 9.5k | Commute||
    Friday | Bike | 9.5k | Commute |||
    Saturday | Run | 9.5k | 00:47:52 | 05:02/km | 86 spm|
    | Run | #Zero25k Group ||||
    Sunday | Bike | 46.4km | 02:17:10 | 20.3/km Avg ||

Good to get out and a bit of chat had about plans for racing. Looks like Mrs. AKW could be a fledgling AR racer in the making as an interest expressed in trying out a few races. Plans are now afoot for us to tackle the Coast 2 Coast as a pair though she didn't seem too sure about my idea for straight through racing instead of the 2 day event.

All in all a low running week for me but an increase in time on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

every year i promise im going to train through the winter and be in shape to have a go at the coast to coast, yet again not ready for it this year, its a pity its in may , the chances of getting a high enough volume of cycling done for it are slim when you dont get on your bike between september and february !

i mentioned coast to coast to a mate before and he just assumed i was on about the one day option, my answer was " are you insane " it looks tough enough as a 2 dayer.

but if i had to pick someone that id like to do the race with it would be my better half. i think it could be great craic, potential for arguments etc aside..

Woody, do you have any idea if the race is 'dark-zoned' on the water? With the 1 day starting at 12pm it looks like most of the paddle could take place at night. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me starting the non-stop racers so late in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

sorry, dont have a clue. i would have assumed that the one dayers started in the morning as well . shows what i know ?

Double run day Monday in and out of work.

Legs didn't want to know about it on the way in. Gave them a talking to during the day and felt better on route home.

Tuesday was finally D-day to get the van going again. Think Mrs. AKW is getting tired of being the designated driver for the school run while I run. Saved a fortune in diesel / tyres etc not driving since December. Another few days of it while being serviced - told the lads once its ready for May it'd be fine ;)

This sh1t just got real!! :D:D
    The Beast of Ballyhoura - Tuesday 28th July to Monday 3rd August 2015

Class: Mixed
    Team Name: #TriHarderAR
    Team Nationality: Irish
    Team Website details: http://triharderar.com/
    Team Facebook details: https://www.facebook.com/triharderAR
    Other Social Media details: https://twitter.com/TriHarderAR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Is your team finalised for this year?

Captain Mike has put down the four names so it's up to each of us to hang on tight and prove we're worth it !! :)

I'd say there could be a strong subs bench to keep us all focussed ;)

• Advertisement

Captain Mike has put down the four names so it's up to each of us to hang on tight and prove we're worth it !! :)

I'd say there could be a strong subs bench to keep us all focussed ;)

yeah now that Mike has the young fella in swim training he;ll be looking to expand his focus, reckon he'll swap one of ye out for shotgun jr at the smallest chance

Needs consistency in training or....FYP ;)

mossym wrote: »
    yeah now that Mike has the young fella in swim training he;ll be looking to expand his focus, reckon we'll swap him out for shotgun jr at the smallest chance

Jaysus Captain Mike didn't take long to apply the pressure.
    So if 2 swimmers required for the Beast its you and I eh :)

Nothing like a bit of inhouse rivalry to keep the mind and body focussed!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Jaysus Captain Mike didn't take long to apply the pressure.

Nothing like a bit of inhouse rivalry to keep the mind and body focussed!! :D

Hahaha :D

Under the weather a bit this week. Sinus running like an old tap and ache in the throat, usually an indicator of health on the edge.

Had to finally shift van from the house and leave in for service, looks like it will be needed for Support Crew duties soon enough ;)
    Meeting after work on Tuesday meant no chance to do anything. Did school run Weds so no time before work so brought gear to do a quick session on way home. Mrs out at a meeting on Weds evening so I had 30-40 mins to squeeze this in.

Monday | Run | 9.5k | 00:50:31|05:12/km|84|146 AvgHR
    |Run | 9.5k | 00:49:05 |05:09/km|82|148 AvgHR
    Tuesday | | |||
    Wednesday | Run| 8.14k | 00:37:48|04:38/km|86|156 AvgHR
    | | | ||
    Thursday | | | |||
    Friday | | | |||
    Saturday | | | | | |
    | | ||||
    Sunday | | | | ||

All set to cycle in this morning, gear and all on when sky went black and snow blasted down. Wussed out on account of being a wuss, drove in :o

Starting to look like I'll be posting daily steps and activity hours as a means to make up training time :(

Hot, chilli curry for lunch (don't breathe on the customers) in a hope to clear sinuses.

Full on cold now so coughed and wheezed my way through the run group session on Saturday, and hacked, spluttered and stuttered around the Crestwood Park orienteering event on Sunday. :(

In reality I should have stayed in bed and dosed myself with Sudafed but it was a cracking morning and we needed to get the kids out for exercise too. When Irish TV popped up to cover the 'out & about in the community' event I didn't need to be asked twice to do an interview :D

Afternoon in work followed by an evening on top of the fire. Give it a day or it'll probably be me off to the Dr for medical intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Full on cold now so coughed and wheezed my way through the run group session on Saturday, and hacked, spluttered and stuttered around the Crestwood Park orienteering event on Sunday. :(

In reality I should have stayed in bed and dosed myself with Sudafed but it was a cracking morning and we needed to get the kids out for exercise too. When Irish TV popped up to cover the 'out & about in the community' event I didn't need to be asked twice to do an interview :D

Afternoon in work followed by an evening on top of the fire. Give it a day or it'll probably be me off to the Dr for medical intervention.

:eek: I hope they disposed of that mic properly.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    :eek: I hope they disposed of that mic properly.

I probably sounded like Spongebob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

All set to cycle in this morning, gear and all on when sky went black and snow blasted down. Wussed out on account of being a wuss, drove in :o

This is not Beast talk :mad::cool::P

Man up!

Get healthy first though...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement