Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Féileacán Mór

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

This is not Beast talk :mad::cool::P

Man up!

Get healthy first though...

Funny how I was healthy all winter running and cycling one day of a drive commute and health goes in the bin!!

I'll live. Have survived manflu so have an immunity built up. This is just a common garden grade chest cold. ;)

Turns out that the Conroy Family finished 1st in the orienteering on Sunday. 2 excited kiddies told at breakfast this morning. :D

Got in the pool yesterday, managed 400m before the lungs forced me into the steam room for 15 mins. Got out for a trail run last night and definitely feel better for it.

Nothing worth noting regarding training. Woke up feeling a lot better today :) until the van broke down, again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

AKW wrote: »
    Turns out that the Conroy Family finished 1st in the orienteering on Sunday. 2 excited kiddies told at breakfast this morning. :D

Got in the pool yesterday, managed 400m before the lungs forced me into the steam room for 15 mins. Got out for a trail run last night and definitely feel better for it.

Nothing worth noting regarding training. Woke up feeling a lot better today :) until the van broke down, again :(

Go Team Conroy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

So which of your kids is replacing you on teamtriharder to look after navigation?

BTH wrote: »
    So which of your kids is replacing you on teamtriharder to look after navigation?

Not sure to be honest, hopefully one of them, cos due to a wrong turn daddy ended up 6th in his long course race :(

Have a target to aim for though in the next race in 2 weeks

1st ;)

• Advertisement

Starting to rattle with the amount of meds I'm needing. A few days off would be brilliant but not gonna happen.

SIUP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Starting to rattle with the amount of meds I'm needing. A few days off would be brilliant but not gonna happen.

SIUP :(

I'll see your meds and raise you a stupid amount :(
    Ventolin, Seretide discus, antibiotic, steroid tabs, AN other for travel.
    2 asthma attacks in 2 weeks. Not allowed to exercise let alone train :mad:

I'll see your meds and raise you a stupid amount :(
    Ventolin, Seretide discus, antibiotic, steroid tabs, AN other for travel.
    2 asthma attacks in 2 weeks. Not allowed to exercise let alone train :mad:

In sickness or in health, ever the same competitive Shotgun!!! :D

And we're back! :)

Plan has been drafted and the week is scheduled. Now just a simple matter of sticking to it.
    Combination of commuting base with focussed quality sessions built into the time around that.

Key motivational goals are:
    *toning & weight loss - weekly target
    *increase in bike power - targeted turbo sessions

Fitness is always lurking and its all about sharpness and strength to go the distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Excellent, get stuck in now. Plenty of core and toughen up the feet!

I'm still down despite throwing the kitchen sink at it this week :mad: Climbing the walls with frustration!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Fitness is always lurking and its all about sharpness and strength to go the distances.

always jealous of folks like you....retain the fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

mossym wrote: »

I was thinking the same thing - f-all training he is doing and hes still superfit! Some guys just have it all :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

catweazle wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing - f-all training he is doing and hes still superfit! Some guys just have it all :mad:

question is are they happy,
    I bet you that secretly they wish they were like the rest of us, and lose fitness if they stop for a weekend

BennyMul wrote: »
    question is are they happy,
    I bet you that secretly they wish they were like the rest of us, and lose fitness if they stop for a weekend

100% if it meant I lost 10kg at the same time!

mossym wrote: »

Hahaha LOL!! :D :pac:

"Retain the fitness" it's either I didn't have it to lose it and am delusional or I've such a long way to go to be truly fit that a week or two off makes little difference to me.

Reasonable week back at it.

Didn't hit all the planned sessions but that's fine by me, until next week when it's rock & roll time properly. Had a decent swim planned for this morning, been swimming with Mrs AKW and we've a nice pattern where she catches me at the 100m and I play catch up. Was into a set when another what I thought was a triathlete (wearing event cap) slotted into the lane, waited and then proceeded to push off in front of me on the turn. That's the end of that!!

Even passing during a 'break' where breast stroke was being demonstrated didn't sink in that others were being distrupted in their own training. This sh1t annoys the hell out of me so will asking management to display lane etiquette notices.

Big run day tomorrow followed by a long cycle for Valentine's (couples that train together, ride more, or something like that) and orienteering on Sunday to wrap up an easy return-to-training week.

Trigger pulled -

Ireland - Coast to Coast - Saturday 16th to Sunday 17th May 2015
    Course Option: Non-Stop
    Team Type: Pair
    Class: Mixed
    Club: Team #TriHarder AR

Team Type Name: Gotta Run

Team Member 1: Sean Conroy (SiEntries ID: 290795)
    Team Member 2: Edel Conroy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

That looks like a nice race you have entered!

Have you heard anymore about it? Have a friend who has signed up for the 1 day solo, says he hasn't heard much about how the course will be marked or if you need to navigate yourself on the last run?

Very little chatter about it at all yet. Seems that most of the information will follow but no idea about navigation end of it or anything like that yet.

Weekend didn't wrap up as anticipated. Plans for Saturday went out the window when I discovered at 10:30 the staff covering my rare day off 'mixed up dates' :mad:

Scratch Saturday.

Sunday, cycled out to the orienteering event in Merlin Woods. Discovered Mrs AKW & son registered me and took off on their own course.

Got my card, map and start time. Took off but felt the bike and poor sleep in the legs. Lessons learned from the last outing
    1. two courses in play - long and short with different CP
    2. walk 10m into the CP, check numbers and walk out reading next CP description
    3. keep a cool head

These events are fun events but like all things there are goals and targets. One of which is a guy at the same level as myself in tri & running so I measure improvement off him.

Some really tricky CP's hidden in dips and behind rocks. A bit of thrashing in the undergrowth to get a few of them. One mistake where I over shot a CP but realised quickly and went jungle whacking to find it.

3.8k course, ran in for 00:27:00 and checking results finished 3rd and cut the relative target lead by 50% compared to the last event.

Next one is on my doorstep so hopefully home advantage and local knowledge of the woods will work in my advantage.

• Advertisement

Not a bad week.

Couple of messed up sessions in the pool thanks to stuttering gobsh1tes who have no concept of either lane etiquette or lane discipline but still my best swim week in a long time, thanks to this morning's session.

Running a little down as missed Trial group on Tuesday and meant to double run Thurs. Double bike Fri isn't happening as van needed at shop. Will make up with a little night MTB tonight and double run with run group Saturday.

339519.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I like that wee chart - what app/software is it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

you like the mild training ;-)

MojoMaker wrote: »
    I like that wee chart - what app/software is it from?

Polar Flow website. I'll introduce you to the dark arts of Polar ;)

peter kern wrote: »
    you like the mild training ;-)

Haha no HR monitor for most of the week and default is mild :)

Don't want to be giving away too much information, there's AR competitors around here ;)

Beautiful evening / night for MTB fun on wet, slippy, mucky, dirty trails hopping around over rocks and roots alike.

Still no HRM so focused on cadence instead, I hear its the next big thing ;)

Another uneventful weekend of working.

Saturday was a big day for the run group and great to see solid running from them all. 25 mins block with a build to a faster finish. Neglected my own running as no cover for start of the day. Sunday was a washout.

Hit the pool this morning after a raggedly nights 'sleep' and while I did the basic set I have I did tweak something in my stroke.

During a section of pull buoy I re-realised that I drop my left hand or specifically the timing of my catch is off. As my right hand re-enters the water and my head comes around after breathing my left hand is already 1/3 of the way through the stroke. I focussed on timing that the catch & pull only started as my opposing hand entered the water (semi catch up type drill) and staying slightly longer out front with my left and straight away I felt smoother and faster.

Spent the rest of the session working on this. Am sure my left shoulder will be tender tomorrow but I have to stop favouring it.

Swim: 2120m in 00:46:56 (I'll bring the table back)

Tuesday: Trail run with Mrs. AKW and got to introduce one of the www.chillr.org guys to Kilcornan. He loved the tangle of technical running loops and we spent a nice 45 mins running along chatting about trails around Galway in general.

Home and a few circuits of plank, arm curls to press, pushups and dips. Really noticing the lack of physical labour as I'm nowhere near as strong as I used to be. Time to change that.

Wednesday: Back in the pool this morning. Starting earlier so less interuptions by Mr. Swim-a-length-doing-fly-kick or Ms. Wait til you arrive-and-push-off-in-front.

Session I've been doing is basic enough - 400 warmup then 10x100 off 2:10 followed by 8x50 off 1:08 (must change to suit pool length) and 20 cool down.
    With my form tweak from Monday front and centre in my mind I was touching wall on the 100's at 1:52-1:55 and swimming the 50's as 60m. Total 2520 in 49 mins or so. Only the cool down was being disrupted today so not too bad.

Young lad is 5 today so cake tonight. ah well :D

Thursday was a double run day.

Morning was 10km with a pack of gear into a headwind. So slow as treacle.
    Evening was a bit quicker but not by much, on my feet all day so did well to move at all on the way home.

Not a whole lot of anything else going on this week 'easy week' missed the pool this morning as PT meeting. Home late & anniversary tonight so running tomorrow is all I got.

On the positive side getting to see plenty of new 'toys', race packs and hydration systems from reps :)

• Advertisement

6th anniversary and a bottle of wine takes it outta ya. No form for running into the session this morning so just the 6k at the run group and then time for a quick swim before work. Showered & 1k swim and that's if for today.

Orienteering tomorrow. Plan is to get a long course race done before taking the youngsters and 12 others around as an alternative birthday party. Should be fun :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement