Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Féileacán Mór

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

That escalated quickly!

Sick, recover, rundown, sick again. No running, nominal bit of messing on the MTB and a couple of swims to frustrate me and that has been the sum of the past 3 weeks.

'Forcing' myself to enter Craughwell 10 was probably not one of my best ideas but that fairly rapidly led to a 72min goal based off nostalgia.

Anyway I haven't run more than 10k in the past 3 weeks so yesterday I set out to run the course or some of it at least. Of course, I just had to see if there was any pace in the body too.

So feeling fat (er), slow and lethargic I set out for 2k warm up and x4 (2k @ 4:30, 1k easy) and a cool down.

No feeling of the run, everything was off, form reasonable, but feet heavy to turn over and no spring. Did the session. Just. Afterwards a bit of yoga to stretch the super tight hamstrings.

14.15k 01:08:37 HR Avg 166

Easy run tonight to ease the legs out again as they are not speaking to me today! :)

Couple of swims this week and a nice little trot on the work cutting for the new Tuam - Gort motorway which runs behind my house (up the road behind). Looking forward to running more and more of this as the work progresses over the next while and then getting to spin on the MTB and finally using it for TT when the surface is being readied for final release :)

Plenty of rolling and self massage to release the legs get them ready for Sunday. Will run tomorrow to loosed up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Cool your own little training ground!!!

What's the plan for Sunday? Go out hard and suffer???

Cool your own little training ground!!!

What's the plan for Sunday? Go out hard and suffer???

Maurice popped up early on Sunday, the kids were busy making support signs and I was pottering around making coffee and figuring out what to wear.

Plan was to ramble down to register around 12, get the numbers and warm up before the start at 1pm. Got the first bit done and headed back up to the line. I'd sort of run through the twists, turns and rises with Maurice on the way over.

Now Maurice is well able to go but he offered to run with me and not embarass me in front of the family so we set off at a planned pace of 4:45 for the first couple of km and to then pick up to hit 4:30 and finish strong.

Once we started a couple of glances down at 4:02, 4:13, 4:05 and I reckoned the instant pace was off a bit. Maurice said something about ".....4:45...." and I went grand.

2km in and I realised the splits were a bit fast and said so. Maurice then repeated that what he had said was " what happened to the 4:45 plan at the start?" I missed the important bits!! So dialling it down a little we sat in for the first 4 miles into the wind. We kinda found ourselves in a bit of no-man's land with groups ahead or behind.

First water was at 3.3 miles and as I called out "water coming on the right" Maurice laughed that the pacing gig never leaves you. (Only thing I don't like about the water stations is that they are at the bottom of the steepish bits of the course)

Around the bend up the drag and around the corner to be greeted by the cheering family & some friends.

Dropping the gillet and cap with the kids, Maurice proceeded to drop me. This was fine, while I enjoyed the company I really wanted him to have his own race cos I know he is in good shape. So off he went.

Now at this stage coming down and up by Roveagh church we were hitting the meaty bit of the course where it stays relatively flat for a while and I would have a procession of neighbours to look good in front of!

So with a smile and form that probably resembled an attacking zombie I passed: the 5 mile mark (35:57, Avg 4:28/km) Alan & Ger, Peter (a handy runner who lied saying I was looking well :) ) then onto Barry & gang who doled out the required dose of slagging. Turning the corner and heading for 'home' I breathed a sigh of relief and look for the next water station coming up when I see Timmy (another handy runner) and do the smile / form rictus thing again.

Coming to the 6 mile mark my already tightened right hamstring (from get go) was joined by the left and doubts creep in. I kept pushing the "you're injured" thoughts away and focused on letting go of the tension.

I wasn't exactly floating above the ground but I also knew my form was not too bad. I kept consciously relaxing my legs and letting them turn over from the hips. I was suffering but I was also starting to see gaps closing as I reeled a few people in slowly. A couple of new bodies passed me but I was focussed on the same backs that were there from the start. They were the only ones I was interested in finishing in front of.

I knew from the feeling, the pace was choppy and with the road lumpy I knew the drags were taking it out of me. I was counting on a nippy last km and was trying to figure out at what point I needed to 'go'. This counting down in miles was wrecking my head!! :)

As we cut across the bog road the wind came into our face again and with 3k to go I was thinking I need to stretch a bit. The hams were having none of it though so as we turned left to head to Craughwell there was 2k to go and a drag to negotiate (some 15m gain or so). A guy tipped by me and I went with him for a while. It took the mind off the climb back up by the start and as we came to within earshot of the commentary box it was time to let loose whatever was left in the tank.

Last km 4:21 and a sprint for the line brought me under the gantry for 1:12:54 race time.

Now for the technicality!! We messed up the pacing plan. Thinking in metric we went with a 4:30/km pace to break 72 mins for 16k.This I think I managed to do. However a 10mile race is 16.1km not 16km :)

All that aside, I'm chuffed with my results from my 1st ever 10mile race and thanks to the family for all the support and Maurice for the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Well done AKW, great time and nice report :) You forgot to mention the most important bit - the spread of cakes and treats at the end ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Neady83 wrote: »
    Well done AKW, great time and nice report :) You forgot to mention the most important bit - the spread of cakes and treats at the end ;)

indeed. never doing a race in lent again, all the cakes/rocky/road.buns/chocolate and couldn't touch a bit

lucikly the ham sandwiches made up for it..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

AKW wrote: »

Now for the technicality!! We messed up the pacing plan. Thinking in metric we went with a 4:30/km pace to break 72 mins for 16k.This I think I managed to do. However a 10mile race is 16.1km not 16km :)

I did the same thing a few years ago and missed my target time by 2 seconds - well done I had a nice Pigs will Fly graphic ready to post when I saw the sub 72 goal but I said I would let you away with it. You got pretty close on f all recent running!

Neady83 wrote: »

Did you not see my Beast reports last year?

I
    II
    III
    IV

Craughwell10 Part Deux deals with the cakes!! :D

catweazle wrote: »
    I did the same thing a few years ago and missed my target time by 2 seconds - well done I had a nice Pigs will Fly graphic ready to post when I saw the sub 72 goal but I said I would let you away with it. You got pretty close on f all recent running!

Actually that thought did cross my head that I remembered you writing about the .1 bit at the end.

There was no way I was going to tackle the mental maths or stop to figure it out at the side of the road.

As you say I'm just chuffed with getting and holding a 4:29/km average on little or no speedwork. Messages from Matt, astonished at holding that HR and pushing for so long with no threshold work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Good stuff Sean. Glad to hear you were looking well .... important to maintain the #TriHarder image :D

• Advertisement

Good stuff Sean. Glad to hear you were looking well .... important to maintain the #TriHarder image :D

Naturally I registered my club name as "TriHarder AR" :D

Ok it's bugging me a bit so open to opinions.

Back in October my LTHR was tested to be 163bpm.

On Sunday I didn't race to HR, I was going off pace which is fine. The thing that is bugging me is I went through my LTHR in the first km and stayed well above it for the next 15+km.

342962.png

Now the HR is fine, sessions before and after seem just fine, HR where it would normally be.

Questions are:

Is LT testing all that it is cracked up to be?
    Should we be so focused on testing and improving this?
    Is it worthwhile getting retested or just push on with hard work?
    Have I finally learned how to suffer? :)

what was your RPE/effort level for the whole race?

and while you can still remember, rpe/effort level for the first 6km, the second 6km, and the last 3/4?

and how would you compare that to your rpe for the threshold test?

mossym wrote: »
    what was your RPE/effort level for the whole race?

and while you can still remember, rpe/effort level for the first 6km, the second 6km, and the last 3/4?

and how would you compare that to your rpe for the threshold test?

Good questions!

RPE was high, I had to work to maintain the pace with increasing effort.
    First 6 was fine, sure went off like a greyhound! Dialling back I knew it was a headwind, second 6km was settling in. I didn't think of it in terms of effort TBH. ie I paid no heed. I did flag in the last 3k so going to 8/9 with a 10 for the finish :)

With the testing because I was asked to and focused on RPE it was something expected, so I think I called 6/7 on the LTHR (or 12/14 from 20 as I think his scale is) With Craughwell I wasn't thinking about effort, I was focussed on 'doing' and while I knew it got hard, I wasn't allowing doubt to set in by thinking this is tought etc.

Day | Sport | Distance | Time | Pace | Cadence | Other / Comment
    Monday|Bike| 9.75k | Commute ||||
    |Swim| 500m | Nominal||| Splash and dash to the Sauna
    |Run | 10k | 00:55:07 | 05:31/km | 83 | Ouchie Ouchie Ouch!!
    Tuesday | Swim| 1.8k | 00:41:55 | 01:58/100 || Nothing but swim
    |Bike | 10k | Commute|||
    |TT Bike | N/A | 00:50 |N/A|| TunneysTurbo
    Wednesday | Bike| 11k | Commute||
    | Swim | 1.2k | 00:30:52 | || Mini pyramid 100/200/300/200/100

First time on the turbo in a long time to give the new thread a go with #TunneysTurbo session. Badly needed kick in the a$$!!

Warm up, spin up/down and 5 x 4mins LTHR+10 / 2min easy -

343052.png

With a doubt as to where exactly my LTHR is at the moment I just went off RPE and 'power' feedback from the Tacx Flow to guide efforts relatively.

Knowing the legs were tired still it was a matter of SIU and pushing through.

1st rep might have been a tad on the safe side of effort but I lifted effort and used gearing for each of the other reps to keep the effort up there.

343057.png

Happy with the first outing back on the turbo. Forgot how long it takes to set up, 10 mins looking for an extension lead!! :rolleyes:

Good questions!

RPE was high, I had to work to maintain the pace with increasing effort.
    First 6 was fine, sure went off like a greyhound! Dialling back I knew it was a headwind, second 6km was settling in. I didn't think of it in terms of effort TBH. ie I paid no heed. I did flag in the last 3k so going to 8/9 with a 10 for the finish :)

With the testing because I was asked to and focused on RPE it was something expected, so I think I called 6/7 on the LTHR (or 12/14 from 20 as I think his scale is) With Craughwell I wasn't thinking about effort, I was focussed on 'doing' and while I knew it got hard, I wasn't allowing doubt to set in by thinking this is tought etc.

meant to get back on this yesterday. can't speak for the threshold test you did previously, but having seen the more recent event in person i'd be of the opinion your LTHR is way above what you measured at the test.

1) you weren't out on your feet on Sunday by the end
    2) your rpe don't suggest you were way above lthr.
    3) 20 minutes into the race, well above your lthr, you were able to punch it a bit more

think of it this way, if you had let that lthr limit your run on sunday, estimate how much slower you'd have been. that's a lot i'd guess.

it would be interesting to do a test now and see how you got on. just on the road with a watch and hr strap. see if it stacks up more with sunday than your last test. i've a guess which it would be

the only other possibility is having someone you know up the road in front of you is the ultimate carrot for the akw ego..:)

With a doubt as to where exactly my LTHR is at the moment I just went off RPE and 'power' feedback from the Tacx Flow to guide efforts relatively.

ftp test time?

lthr going to be different for bike and run anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

ftp test time?

lthr going to be different for bike and run anyway?

Surely it would make more sense to get some consistent biking done for 3 to 4 weeks before doing a test

pgibbo wrote: »
    Surely it would make more sense to get some consistent biking done for 3 to 4 weeks before doing a test

I'd agree. Most biking has been short sharp commuter style with nothing long of late.

I'd the HR adjusted to advised levels for the bike but will FTP in a few weeks time. Otherwise to answer your above I'll forget the tests and just do!! :)

.. if you had let that lthr limit your run on sunday, estimate how much slower you'd have been. that's a lot i'd guess.

Absolutely true and 100% agreed.

I think I have subconsciously limited myself by the data too often. Sunday was about getting a job done and not about doing what the data says.

I knew I could get it done, that has a lot to do with it IMO.
    ...the ultimate carrot for the akw ego..:)

Between that and the lurking team captain keeping an eye on things.... ;)

• Advertisement

sssshhhhhh. don;t let logic get in the way of making him really suffer for 20 mins..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Feic the suffering for 20 mins. Tunneys turbos just for a bit of spice! We will probably be spending the guts of 20hrs+ on the bike. KISS principle as you say. Only things that matter on the bike, endurance, hills, technical terrain while 70% asleep, endurance, hills, technical terrain while 90% asleep in the dark :)

The only thing I'll give the V800 is that Polar Flow is much more sexy than Garmin Connect. Garmin give feic all attention to HR training :rolleyes:

The only thing I'll give the V800 is that Polar Flow is much more sexy than Garmin Connect. Garmin give feic all attention to HR training :rolleyes:

And.... so begins the conversion :D

sssshhhhhh. don;t let logic get in the way of making him really suffer for 20 mins..:)

As MCOS says in a round about way FTP probably doesn't matter much for what we are doing. A bit like JB in his racing there is no sustained periods of laying down rubber. It's up down all over the place.

However appealing to the AKW ego ;) a FTP test and obligatory suffering will occur in a couple of weeks just to see where it is at. :)

Knuckle down time.

6 weeks to showtime.

Time for 87 to become 82.

Coast to Coast?

Coast to Coast?

Indeed. That's first up.

Considering a day out in the Wicklow hills in June http://www.setantaorienteers.org/event/rogaine-ireland-2015-wicklow-moutains-pre-entry if I can get the time.

Dig it out again from the 2nd page!

Last week was a joke. The kids were off so all plans went out the window. I squeezed in a couple of runs but nothing of much consequence.

This week however they are still off but are away so I am home alone - cue nothing but training week! :)

Saturday evening I got a run in and enjoyed the start of the sunshine.
    Sunday got a big bike in all day out around Connemara brought home some hunger and sunburn.
    Monday had me in the hills over Loughrea on the mountain bike & hiking for a few hours with a map. (unfortunately lost my HOTW Giro sunglasses from a few years ago somewhere)
    Today started with an uninterrupted swim and will finish with a run and some core work.

Aaah the (temporary) single life!! Training is so much different when it is only you to worry about!! :D

• Advertisement

You're being all too modest about Sunday! ;) That was an epic spin :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement