Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

compost bins from refuse companies

• 26-09-2014 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Sorry don't know where this fits.

How do people manage these? I have one a few weeks now. My problem is the flies. I bought a small food recycling bin for the kitchen and just dumped that into the wheelie bin each time. I was shopping for the biodegradable bags and saw the gig ones that fill the whole bin and thought that a good idea but the prob is that the bin is prob going to take an age to fill, hence is open and the flies are terrible. I made the mistake of leaving the wheelie bin close to my back door for convenience but the flies were getting into the house. :eek: Quickly moved to the back of the house!!

Now I'm wondering about getting a smaller bin but bigger than the one I now keep in the kitchen and bagging at regular intervals and putting the bags into the wheelie bin. Terrible waste of the full size bags as they were not cheap! Or is there another way of keeping the flies away from the wheelie bin??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Good old fashioned fly spray works most of the time for me.

Normally I wouldn't be use something like that, but for the special case that is the bin during the summer it just has to be done.

Even though we generate a relatively small amount of green waste *and* I use fly spray, I still have my limits and the bin often goes out half full after 8 or 10 weeks.

z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Would you try lining the caddy (kitchen bin) with some newspaper and emptying it into the brown bin daily? The biodegradable bags are expensive so it would reduce costs also. Fruit flies want to be in decaying food material so if you then throw a layer of paper into the brown bin every three or four days that should keep the numbers down. The composting process requires some paper or similar material to balance the food waste, so there is no problem in adding some.

Fruit flies are annoying but just to say that they don't cause any damage, bites etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chippy22

If your with green star it's every second Monday in Wexford I'm with the lads my self i got a 140 litre bin which is cheap i was with ages and waste pal wouldn't touch dem again hope dis helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chippy22

I am with green star waste they supply me with a compost bin a 140 litre for out side which is collected every second Monday with out any hassle like other company's

Advertisement