Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Growing a beard new help on it

• 26-09-2014 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Basicly i have always had a bit stubble for the past few years and i decided to grow a full on beard.

Basically now after 4 weeks of growing i think i need to trim it as its starting to have a good few uneven bits to it and its at the stage where its starting to itch me a bit. . I say its around 1/4 of a inch to a 1/2 of a inch all-round and under my chin would be in the 1/2 inch size and the musttash the same.

Basically i am wondering is it the right time to trim it and i was reading about beard oils and i am wondering what do they do for my growing beard ?.

Thanks ahead for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Don't trim it.

Now that that's out of the way, you need to decide what kind of beard you want to have. This is entirely dependent on your genetics, all beard hair and growth is different, but I would suggest you head out to Google images and find a few types of beard that appeal to you. Like most things in life, if you don't have a goal or endgame in mind you can't really succeed. Once you know what you want it's easier to ask for help.

With regards to beard oils and balms, I suppose they have different uses, however I've never found any scientific evidence to back up any of their claims. They are supposed to help with itching, keep your beard hair soft and moisturised, and help prevent split ends. Anecdotally, from using Berts Bees Miracle Salve, I've noticed my beard feeling less straw like, and it does help mitigate flyaways to some minor degree. Read reviews, try some stuff out, but all benefits may not apply to a shorter beard.

I'll back track a bit on the trimming - during the initial stages, you can look a bit unkempt if you don't shave a neckline and let your moustache grow over your upper lip. You've got to be careful when trimming both as it is too easy to over trim and end up looking ridiculous.

Good luck with it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Here i am looking for a good beard trimmer for looking after my beard what is a good one to go for ?.

I have a iStubble but that will end up cutting it way to short on 5MM so whats the best one to go for ?. Have about 50 to spend on one

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Primus Pilus

Pretty much any electric beard or hair shears will work just fine. Make sure it comes with a selection of different height guards. I have the Wahl brand made in the USA, and they've worked fine for 5 years. If possible try and hold out for at least 6-8 weeks before going to town trimming the beard. This allows you to see what you're working with(facial hair wise) and what styles fit your beard and face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Pretty much any electric beard or hair shears will work just fine. Make sure it comes with a selection of different height guards. I have the Wahl brand made in the USA, and they've worked fine for 5 years. If possible try and hold out for at least 6-8 weeks before going to town trimming the beard. This allows you to see what you're working with(facial hair wise) and what styles fit your beard and face.

At the 6 week mark now and it badly needs a trim as its gone extremely heavy at my chin and the mustache is the same.

150501429.jpg

Thats what i am aiming for and as i said up from that my chin and the mustache are a lot heavier then that but my sides still need to fill in a little bit more.

The thing is i am starting to think am i to young for pulling something like that off at 22 years old ?.

Any idea of what length that might be all the way round ?.

Advertisement