Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harmonic current studies

Options
  • 26-09-2014 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Hi all I'm currently starting my final year project in energy and environmental engineering and my project will be based on the effect charging electric cars will have on distribution transformers. Specifically the harmonic currents effect given off by the charging process.

I have transformer data for a housing estate of 30 homes over a one week period which has all currents from the fundamental to the 15th harmonic and i also have access to a Nissan leaf so i can measure its harmonic currents while charging and then add these so i can compare the effect it will have on the transformers.

My question here is i am finding it hard to find studies on this type of project and am wondering if any of you could point me in the direction of some good material. Any material on how currents effect transformers would be great it does not have to include charging cars specifically.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

Try doing a Google search for all of the terms:
    "eddy current" "transformer losses" harmonics

Addition: Paul Mc - is the harmonic content caused by switch mode type power supplies in the chargers?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Hi Paul, just a thought from an ancient elec. The higher frequencies caused by the nasty electronics are, in my view, not likely to cause any problem for an inductive device , such as a transformer. The big concern, I would think, would relate to any capacitor, whose impedance ( unlike inductors), is, as you are undoubtedly aware is reduced with increase in frequency - anyway just my old comment, but I may be missing your essential point.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Actually Paul, perhaps contact ESB - invaluable resource. ESB has an electric car program with both vehicles and charging systems. ESB would definitely have studies on impact of harmonics on transformers and on customers. Let me know if you'd like advice. A great project you are working on.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Thanks for the help guys took all advise on board and got sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

IEEE Xplore Library is a great resource that you will have access too if you are in university. It will have good papers on electric car charging.

You should explore harmonics above the 15th if you can. Would be worthwhile looking into hiring out a power quality analyser and setting it up to monitor the the power quality events.

How detailed is the data you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Have data up to the 15th harmonic from a housing estate of thirty homes also have a fluke 435 power quality and energy analyzer and access to a Nissan leaf to take my readings from which will be added to the harmonic levels already present in the estate to see the effects different amounts of cars will have on each phase with regards to the transformer limits. I was just looking for a couple off good studies for my literature review ;)

Advertisement