Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy hour

Options
  • 26-09-2014 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭

What Time is the happy hour in La and New York

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

depends on the bar...I've seen places in NY with happy hour from 3pm-7pm and others 5-6
    same with SF and LA

remember to tip on the full amount, not the happy hour prices

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There is no set hour. It varies from bar/restaurant to bar/restaurant. Some of them start as early as lunch time and run as late as 10pm, but 4-7 would probably be the most common times. It all depends on what the quiet time of that particular bar/restaurant is & what kind of clientele they have. A bar that caters to 9-5 office workers, would probably have a different happy hour to somewhere that caters primarily to night clubbers, or show goers, or tourists, or sports fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

I was in a bar in Philly last night that has its Friday happy hour from 6-7 and its Monday and Thursday happy hours from 10-11 (to keep customers there after the football ends).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its just a way of dragging customers in at a time when it might normally be quiet.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Its just a way of dragging customers in at a time when it might normally be quiet.

Some cities are starting to ban them, or restrict them to just one hour, in an effort to combat binge drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Some cities are starting to ban them, or restrict them to just one hour, in an effort to combat binge drinking.

That must be difficult to do seeing as its just a sale, after all.

But then I remember the first time I encountered a "dry" county in the USA. Very strange.

Happened in Atlanta a few years back. I dunno the exact nature of the legal part of it, but I think a new bylaw was brought in that banned charging different prices for drinks at different times of the day. So you either charged $2 for a margarita all day long, or you charged the normal price all day long. At my restaurant, we got around it by just having a different drinks special every day. It didn't do much to boost the happy hours sales & it killed the sales of regularly priced drinks, so we just dropped it.

I dunno if this still goes on there. The liquor by laws changed ridiculously frequently in Atlanta, usually depending on what mood the mayor was in at the time.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The Americans are so puritanical in their attitude to booze that they consider two drinks a week to be 'binge drinking'. Last time I looked at an application form for health insurance they wanted to know if you drank alcohol more than once in the past month :eek:

coylemj wrote: »
    The Americans are so puritanical in their attitude to booze that they consider two drinks a week to be 'binge drinking'. Last time I looked at an application form for health insurance they wanted to know if you drank alcohol more than once in the past month :eek:

Oh and did I forget to mention that you can't buy alcohol on Sundays in Georgia? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Oh and did I forget to mention that you can't buy alcohol on Sundays in Georgia? :P

I think the whole of Norn Ireland was dry on Sundays up to about 30 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

You've probably already seen it but .... http://www.nyhappyhours.com/

In saying that, having the price of the pint dictate your holiday never really works out IMHO. The first couple of times in NYC I had a print-out of the best HH places in the area of my hotel but once I found myself in a good spot, chatting to locals, the fast that I was paying an extra couple of $ for a drink didn't matter any longer.

NYC it's most often Monday - Thursday, sometimes a Sunday (if they aren't showing the football), generally from 3-7. Some places will have specials where a drink (PRB for example) is always $3 on a Tuesday or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

You can after noon now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Happened in Atlanta a few years back. I dunno the exact nature of the legal part of it, but I think a new bylaw was brought in that banned charging different prices for drinks at different times of the day. So you either charged $2 for a margarita all day long, or you charged the normal price all day long. At my restaurant, we got around it by just having a different drinks special every day. It didn't do much to boost the happy hours sales & it killed the sales of regularly priced drinks, so we just dropped it.

I dunno if this still goes on there. The liquor by laws changed ridiculously frequently in Atlanta, usually depending on what mood the mayor was in at the time.:rolleyes:

Officially, the law is still on the books. Only seems to be used selectively. For example, the local cafe near us has a beer special every night. Plenty of places are doing bottomless bloody Marys too. And as always, servers still have their discretionary comp fund every night.

IIRC, the law was enacted to open another front on an out of control party district (Buckhead - RIP).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

You can after noon now

That's right.

Sunday sales, high grav beer, growlers,.... all changed now ProudDUB

Great. I move away and THEN they change the flippin' law. Thanks Georgia. THANKS A LOT ! :mad:
    dave2pvd wrote: »
    .IIRC, the law was enacted to open another front on an out of control party district (Buckhead - RIP).

Yeah, I think there was a high profile car crash that killed several people. It came out at the inquest that the driver had been knocking back pitchers of happy hour margaritas since he got off work. So there was pressure on the powers that be to do something to combat happy hour binge drinking.

Like you said, it's a bit hit and miss, especially when you factor in that different counties and civic juristictions can all have rules and bylaws. A Buckhead bar in Fulton Co, will have to abide by different rules than a Marietta bar in Cobb Co, or a Decatur bar in DeKalb Co. Yet they are all still part of Metro Atlanta. It's all a bit mad ! :rolleyes:

Advertisement