Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Forced to change password

• 26-09-2014 10:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Apple forced me to change my password today. Apparently it was too easy to guess. Possibly it was but shouldn't it be my decision to change my own password?

This is the second time they've done it. The first time someone tried to log onto my account too many times (my iPad went mad with wrong password entered) which locked my account and forced me to change my then good password. Apple wouldn't unlock the account without a password change (although password was never hacked).

Not liking this new attitude by apple. I've been an avid fan for years but I think it's time to move on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

TBi wrote: »
    Apple forced me to change my password today. Apparently it was too easy to guess. Possibly it was but shouldn't it be my decision to change my own password?

This is the second time they've done it. The first time someone tried to log onto my account too many times (my iPad went mad with wrong password entered) which locked my account and forced me to change my then good password. Apple wouldn't unlock the account without a password change (although password was never hacked).

Not liking this new attitude by apple. I've been an avid fan for years but I think it's time to move on.

Sound. Have you informed Tim Cook? He'll be raging.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yahoo is doing the same. Every time I log in its forcing me to change. I can skip now but that will only last so long.

Think it's some new internet protection ruling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Wish I could skip too. What bothers me the most is they want a Capitol letter and a number. I use symbols in my password (much harder to crack than a number or Capitol letter) but that doesn't pass the "you need a number" test.

It's just annoying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple’s just trying to protect our privacy. They don’t want our nude selfies ending up all over the internet.

Apple’s just trying to protect our privacy. They don’t want our nude selfies ending up all over the internet.

I know but again that should be my choice. Maybe I want my nudes all over the web. Although in this case maybe apple is protecting others :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Gerinspain

You'd be surprised at how many people use 12345 and password as their passwords! I work on peoples websites and have often had to tell them to make their passwords more secure. So when Apple is asking you to include a capital letter and a number it's not you they are asking......it's all those eejits that don't understand how easy it is for a hacker to find those passwords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

People complain when security is too relaxed and then people complain that its too secure.

In my opinion it can never be too secure, just think of how much personal data your iCloud holds, ask Jennifer Lawrence. Im sure she wished she had a better password

Gerinspain wrote: »
    You'd be surprised at how many people use 12345 and password as their passwords! I work on peoples websites and have often had to tell them to make their passwords more secure. So when Apple is asking you to include a capital letter and a number it's not you they are asking......it's all those eejits that don't understand how easy it is for a hacker to find those passwords.

They can ask but why can't I say no? It's not their fault if people don't listen to advice...

And Jennifer Lawrence's password would not have been hacked if apple didn't allow a brute force algorithm to be used. A very simple increasing delay between incorrect password entered and being told it was wrong would have stopped that. Authentication is done remotely so implementation is easy.

If on the other hand the password was got through social engineering then no amount of capitals would have solved that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Lets hope you never work in an enterprise company.

Change passwords every 30 days, can't use similar passwords as previous words and can't be based off dictionary words or simple to guess.

Your Apple ID is tied to your credit card as well. Having it behind a simple password is idiotic.

My company makes me change passwords every 3 months. We've worked out an algorithm to make easy to remember passwords that pass the security tests. I'd make a more secure password if I was given time to remember it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

My company makes me change passwords every 3 months. We've worked out an algorithm to make easy to remember passwords that pass the security tests. I'd make a more secure password if I was given time to remember it.

https://agilebits.com/onepassword

Advertisement