Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road rage

• 26-09-2014 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

Just had a relatively close call driving back from a friends. Typical suburban route with tons of little roundabouts.. you know the type, one lane access and egress .

Had noticed a car coming up behind me at speed, and I was doing around 50kph. Coming up to first roundabout and the guy is tailgating me. As I go through the roundabout going straight ahead he accelerates and nearly drives straight into the side of me. I had maintained proper road position, and there was no room for two lanes anyway.

At this stage I had stopped, so I wound down the window and gave him a piece of my mind shall we say. He was trying to say it was a two lane roundabout. Which even if it was wouldnt have mattered as I had kept to the left.

So.. was I wrong to f#ck him out of it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Can you give us a google earth/maps reference of the roundabout?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Yes I'm afraid you probably were wrong. There's some right nutters out there and you'd be well advised to let it go I think rather than enter into an argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Great example of this is probably this roundabout in Dundrum:

https://goo.gl/maps/w12RP

Convention would say that you should be the left lane to go straight on. And the right lane for Wesley. The issue is both entrance and exit are wide enough for two lanes of traffic. So you could argue that is 'two on, two off' Its a pick n' mix situation most days as drivers take both lanes to do just about everything. Its a roundabout that needs markings badly. The two further roundabouts do have markings but are frequently ignored too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Its the desperate need to overtake on roundabouts that causes the problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

So you wound down you're window to give him a piece of you're mind and you're complaining about road rage?

It sounds like you began the road rage by shouting......

Edited as I got the roundabout position wrong. While the other driver was possibly a dope OP shouldn't have started shouting

• Advertisement

hi5 wrote: »
    Its the desperate need to overtake on roundabouts that causes the problems.

Or the desperate lack of knowledge of how to use a roundabout by a huge amount of drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

ba_barabus wrote: »
    So you wound down you're window to give him a piece of you're mind and you're complaining about road rage?

Errrrrr, from what it sounds like in you're discription you were taking the 3rd exit and were driving in the left lane.

It sounds like you were in the wrong and began the road rage by shouting......

He said straight ahead, so probably the second exit..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

If you roll down your window and give him a piece of your mind then it is you who had the road rage.

The roads are full of crap drivers. Best approach is to give them space and let them get on their way. They will eventually hit a tree I like to think ��

corktina wrote: »
    He said straight ahead, so probably the second exit..

I read that wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Pure ignorance rather than bad driving is the case a lot of times.

There are a few roundabouts near where i live. When the traffic builds up in the left lane (ie to turn left or go straight ahead), there will always be a few people who say "f*ck this" and drive up the right hand side - instead of turning right (3rd exit) they will try to cut across to continue straight (2nd exit)...

I will seriously drive one of them into the signs there someday. I'm sick to the teeth of people at this carry on. Along with the "i'll drive up the outside of any queue and cut in at the end" brigade. I've seen people stopped on the 1st lane on the M50 with their indicator on, after pulling out of the queue of traffic because they couldn't wait and queue 3 or 4 minutes for the slip to move.

Would the same people walk to the front of the queue in Tesco and cut across the person at the front?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

mfceiling wrote: »
    Pure ignorance rather than bad driving is the case a lot of times.

There are a few roundabouts near where i live. When the traffic builds up in the left lane (ie to turn left or go straight ahead), there will always be a few people who say "f*ck this" and drive up the right hand side - instead of turning right (3rd exit) they will try to cut across to continue straight (2nd exit)...
    I thought that was perfectly correct way to do it.
    That's why there are two lanes.

I will seriously drive one of them into the signs there someday. I'm sick to the teeth of people at this carry on. Along with the "i'll drive up the outside of any queue and cut in at the end" brigade. I've seen people stopped on the 1st lane on the M50 with their indicator on, after pulling out of the queue of traffic because they couldn't wait and queue 3 or 4 minutes for the slip to move.

Would the same people walk to the front of the queue in Tesco and cut across the person at the front?

Well surely in case of slip road for the exit and blocking 1st lane of M50 it's very bad, but there are many cases where there is two lanes free for the queue for some junction, obstruction, etc... and for some reason people queue only on one of those lanes leaving the other one empty, and then get annoyed when someone passes all the queue with other lane.
    Well - that's what this lane is for, and queue should be on both lanes in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Am with you on this, on it every day and the phantom bus lane from whickham roundabout to one near tesco Dundrum also causes so much messing, road markings badly needed.
    ironclaw wrote: »
    Great example of this is probably this roundabout in Dundrum:

https://goo.gl/maps/w12RP

Convention would say that you should be the left lane to go straight on. And the right lane for Wesley. The issue is both entrance and exit are wide enough for two lanes of traffic. So you could argue that is 'two on, two off' Its a pick n' mix situation most days as drivers take both lanes to do just about everything. Its a roundabout that needs markings badly. The two further roundabouts do have markings but are frequently ignored too.

CiniO wrote: »
    I thought that was perfectly correct way to do it.
    That's why there are two lanes.

Surely the 1st lane is for left or straight ahead exit. The 2nd lane is for turning right...that's what they show on the tv ad for roundabouts.

Well surely in case of slip road for the exit and blocking 1st lane of M50 it's very bad, but there are many cases where there is two lanes free for the queue for some junction, obstruction, etc... and for some reason people queue only on one of those lanes leaving the other one empty, and then get annoyed when someone passes all the queue with other lane.
    Well - that's what this lane is for, and queue should be on both lanes in the first place.

An example is the N4 exit...people leave the exit slip, drive forward 20 or 30 car lengths and then try to "cut" back near the front. Sorry but for me that it pure bad manners.

An example is the N4 exit...people leave the exit slip, drive forward 20 or 30 car lengths and then try to "cut" back near the front. Sorry but for me that it pure bad manners.

As I said - in relation to M50 slip ways toward exists, that indeed is as you say.

But what you boleded in my quotation referred to roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

OP, you are better off just letting stuff like this go, and just concentrate on the road and let them drive off, because there are some head-cases out there for sure.

I was involved in a road-rage incident from a nut-case driver a few weeks ago and he was tail-gating me as well and beeping like mad waving his arms. I came to a red light and he and his passenger driver shouted out their window that they were going to fcuk me up and they exited their car, but the arse-hole that I am got out of the car and confronted them, and believe me it could have got very serious right there. I was tooled up and they backed down and drove off.

I have decided not to carry anything in the car after that, it's not worth it. In future I'm going to let them talk verbal crap and just carry on. It's too dangerous especially if you do happen across a few head-bangers. Just let it go. I learned something that day, that it could have been very serious, for them and myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

I'm not sure if you're talking in relation to people like me, but I don't see a point of being stopped for 5 minutes to get to an empty lane when going to Dublin City Centre.
    I hop on the left lane on the M50 and when the exits starts to be a two, I simply move to the left, on the right side, going towards Dublin. It's always empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Sobanek wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're talking in relation to people like me, but I don't see a point of being stopped for 5 minutes to get to an empty lane when going to Dublin City Centre.
    I hop on the left lane on the M50 and when the exits starts to be a two, I simply move to the left, on the right side, going towards Dublin. It's always empty.
    No that's fine it's the morons who decide to cut in to head towards Lucan, and what makes me more angry is the car in front the driver is sending a text and leaves a gap for the morons to cut in, it's really annoying, I've had one or two pull up beside me trying to cut in and I wouldn't let them in, I just point back over my shoulder and tell them go back!

As I said - in relation to M50 slip ways toward exists, that indeed is as you say.

But what you boleded in my quotation referred to roundabout.

Sorry CiniO got my bolding mixed up!! My understanding on a roundabout (as per the tv ad) is left lane for left turn/straight ahead and right lane for turning right. I've nearly been lamped a few times by people who cut across me after going in to the right lane, then deciding that they are going straight on.
    No that's fine it's the morons who decide to cut in to head towards Lucan, and what makes me more angry is the car in front the driver is sending a text and leaves a gap for the morons to cut in, it's really annoying, I've had one or two pull up beside me trying to cut in and I wouldn't let them in, I just point back over my shoulder and tell them go back!

I never let anyone in - and i actively watch my mirrors for pricks who pull out of the queue, bomb up the outside, then throw on their indicator and expect to be let in. The people who let them in are as bad in my opinion!!

Sorry CiniO got my bolding mixed up!! My understanding on a roundabout (as per the tv ad) is left lane for left turn/straight ahead and right lane for turning right. I've nearly been lamped a few times by people who cut across me after going in to the right lane, then deciding that they are going straight on.

Well, I don't really watch TV so I didn't see the ad.
    I've learned from "Rules of the road" book several years ago, and afair according to it, it was allowed to use right lane for going straight ahead through roundabout (red line).

However with new updated version of RoTR this doesn't seem to be the case, except in circumstances listed here.

323486.jpg

You learn something every day.

However these are just guidelines, as law on roundabouts is very terse so technically, I don't think it's illegal to use right lane to go straight ahead.

Well, I don't really watch TV so I didn't see the ad.
    I've learned from "Rules of the road" book several years ago, and afair according to it, it was allowed to use right lane for going straight ahead through roundabout (red line).

However with new updated version of RoTR this doesn't seem to be the case, except in circumstances listed here.

323486.jpg

You learn something every day.

However these are just guidelines, as law on roundabouts is very terse so technically, I don't think it's illegal to use right lane to go straight ahead.

The mini roundabout at the top of our road has a narrow enough exit - enough for 1 car, nowhere near enough for 2 so the right lane has to "cut back across" traffic to get in.

However most people know the exit and stay left to exit straight...but, you'll always get the ones who won't queue and bomb up the outside and will nearly lamp the rest of us who wait our turn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

MAJJ wrote: »
    Am with you on this, on it every day and the phantom bus lane from whickham roundabout to one near tesco Dundrum also causes so much messing, road markings badly needed.

What is the story with the phantom bus lane? They seem to have removed some of the 'bus lane not in use' signs recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mannurse

A lot of round abouts near the Blanchardstown centre that are a pain in the article. Too narrow and not marked properly. Most people know the deal with them but the large one near the back of Power City is a real pain. If heading to Clonsilla from McDonald's direction, the left lane is marked with a left only arrow but most people use it to go straight through then blow you out of it if you go straight from the right lane.
    Also the big odd shaped round about on Kylmore rb Ballyfermot is another one to meet know it all that know nothing drivers that are handy with the horn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

No dublin bus goes down that road and it's still marked as a bus lane, albeit faded. From Wesley to Whickham is a valid bus lane

RainyDay wrote: »
    What is the story with the phantom bus lane? They seem to have removed some of the 'bus lane not in use' signs recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

MAJJ wrote: »
    No dublin bus goes down that road and it's still marked as a bus lane, albeit faded. From Wesley to Whickham is a valid bus lane
    But there are none of the blue signs indicating a bus lane and the times.

Advertisement