Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neverending Nightmares

Options
  • 27-09-2014 12:15am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭

And you thought PT was creepy :pac:

Finished my first 'branch' of Neverending Nightmares there and I am very much impressed. It's a complete triumph of art and sound design. It's easily one of the best looking games I've seen recently - the stark black & white is something along the lines of Edward Gorey meets Daniel Clowes. The game advises you to put on headphones at the start, and it's a good suggestion - the rich soundscape is as much a part of this game's overwhelmingly discomforting atmosphere as anything else.

It is first and foremost a horror game, but it's also a very personal look at grief and mental illness - using a similar method to PT, actually, with a frequently looping structure. Gameplay wise, there's a mix of stealth, exploration and running the **** away from some frightening pursuers (and frightening they are thanks to some morbidly imaginative character design). There was a repetitive patch in the middle (in an asylum), but for its modest running time developer Matt Gilgenbach expertly maintains the level of sheer dread. There are several routes through the game, too.

If you're looking for a fresh and imaginative game that's also regularly terrifying, Neverending Nightmares is a good bet!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

Looks interesting. Might give it a whirl. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

The art style reminds me of Salad Fingers, on Newgrounds... :D

Advertisement