Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi parking brake auto release

• 27-09-2014 6:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My Audi A5 started acting up a bit yesterday, the parking brake doesn't auto release as I drive away. The way it should work, and has done for the last year since I got the car is, once the seat belt is on, and you've touched the brake, the parking brake brake disengages once there is enough torque to move the car forward as you drive away.
    Starting yesterday, when I lift off the brake to drive away, the console says "please release parking brake", and if I try to drive away the parking brake doesn't release.
    It's not a huge problem, since it will manually release with the button, it's just sort of embarrassing in car parks when I forget, and steep hill starts will be tricky. Has anybody seen this before?
    I'm thinking it needs a new parking brake control module but that probably won't be cheap, I'd hate to put a new one in to find it wasn't the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Manual or auto?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Probably just a sensor on the pedal or something small.

I say you wouldn't be the first with this issue so maybe a quick phone call to audi service might sus it out quick enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

The manual release on the Tourareg foot brake has a habit of 'sticking' too. You have to manually release twice. Not identical to the A5 issue as its full manual but quickly sorted by VW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So its behaving as if you dont have the seat belt on?
    Any other functions in the car behaving like you dont have the belt on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Manual or auto?

Manual

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    So its behaving as if you dont have the seat belt on?
    Any other functions in the car behaving like you dont have the belt on?

Yeah, exactly, but the seatbelt light goes out when I put on the belt.
    I think I can turn off the seatbelt check in VCDS, I'll give that a go and see if it helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

what year a5 will need a plug in to confirm but have seen the clutch pedal position sensor on the master cylinder causing this issue. its built into the cylinder stops picking up position of pedal so doesn't know when to release brake.

enumbers wrote: »
    what year a5 will need a plug in to confirm but have seen the clutch pedal position sensor on the master cylinder causing this issue. its built into the cylinder stops picking up position of pedal so doesn't know when to release brake.

09, I have VCDS, haven't got a chance to plug it in yet as I've been working, I'll give it a go tomorrow. Should it throw up an error code if it's the clutch cylinder? If that's the case a new cylinder is only way fix it I assume?

normally logs a fault and cylinder replacement is the only fix,sensor is part of it. Not very expensive though think something like 125 +vat from audi for the a4s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Well in my b8 a4, the electromechanical handbrake won't auto disengage at the very beginning of my journey, I have to manually disengage it but after that the handbrake will auto disengage if the biting point is reached. It's always been like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 Fundthementals

Had the exact same issue with my B6 Passat - EPB could only be released by the push button .
    Turned out it was the clutch Hall effect sensor . Part cost 50 euro and 150 labour/diagnostics.

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    Well in my b8 a4, the electromechanical handbrake won't auto disengage at the very beginning of my journey, I have to manually disengage it but after that the handbrake will auto disengage if the biting point is reached. It's always been like that.

Well it's faulty unless you have a habit of only putting your belt on once moving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Does the car have cruise control? If so has it stopped working as well?

Does the car have cruise control? If so has it stopped working as well?

No cruise control, so far the only symptom I've come across is the handbrake not auto releasing.

Nino Brown wrote: »
    No cruise control, so far the only symptom I've come across is the handbrake not auto releasing.

Cruise was standard I'm pretty sure.
    import maybe?

enumbers wrote: »
    normally logs a fault and cylinder replacement is the only fix,sensor is part of it. Not very expensive though think something like 125 +vat from audi for the a4s
    Had the exact same issue with my B6 Passat - EPB could only be released by the push button .
    Turned out it was the clutch Hall effect sensor . Part cost 50 euro and 150 labour/diagnostics.

Thanks lads, I wouldn't have thought of a sensor on the clutch.

mickdw wrote: »
    Cruise was standard I'm pretty sure.
    import maybe?

UK import

Nice call gentlemen.

Clutch Position Sensor (G476)
    007 -- Short to Ground
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 01100111
    Fault Priority: 6
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Reset counter: 237

http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a5/power_transmission/6-speed_manual_gearbox_0b3_front-wheel_drive/clutch_control/exploded_view_pedal_cluster_(rhd_vehicles)/
    12 - Clutch position sender -G476-
    Clutch pedal switch -F36- and clutch pedal switch for engine start -F194- are integrated
    Can only be renewed together with clutch master cylinder

Thanks for the help lads, George I'll be in touch.

Thanks for the update, nice to get feedback

Advertisement